The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

Spot on pacbuddies. Injuries and illnesses aren't his fault but we should have already secured another points by now to be virtually safe. Look at our record against the top 6 + Liverpool:

Won 1 Drawn 1 Lost 9

That's an appalling record. Just think, if we'd had a go in all of those games we'd probably have at least 3 more points by now.

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

None of us are shocked really.

As much as were are all proud of the young lads, there can be no defending McLeish and Peter Grant. I would excuse it if I thought that he needed to be cautious given our lack of first team players available. The reality is that he has played the same way all season, regardless of personnel.

I have stated over and over that he could have the Barcelona or 1970 Brazil team and he would still set the team up the same way.

I wouldn't mind so much if I thought he could grind out results at top clubs playing this way. Weird as it sounds, he had a good home record whilst at SHA yet we have one of the worst home records in living history. Villa Park was always a feared place to visit, even for 'elite' clubs. Now teams fancy their chances.

Take the Swansea game for example; a squad, largely made up of Championship players, passed and outplayed us, were defensively solid, whilst attacking in numbers, and creating clear cut chances.

I think McLeish was been largely 'found out' by other Premiership managers last season. He finished 9th the season before, although my SHA mate said that he was pressured by fans to play 4-4-2 and when he did they went 15 games unbeaten. Once he went back to 4-5-1 it all went downhill and he made it clear that he wasn't going to change. Can anyone clarify that???

My mate also said that Peter Grant's arrival coincided with the results going downhill. Roy Aitkin (ex Villa) was McLeish's number 2 before that.

Getting rid of McLeish is only fixing part of the problem

Until Faulkner is replaced by someone decent we are in trouble

I thought you were pro-Mcleish?

None of us have a clue what Faulkner does or doesnt do behind the scenes so blaming him is a bit pointless to be honest.

None of us have a clue what Faulkner does or doesnt do behind the scenes so blaming him is a bit pointless to be honest.

Not true. I worked there and had dealings with Faulkner.

He's clearly a pretty good businessman - the club's financial reports underline that. But that's the nub of the isue i.m.o. - he's a businessman and by last year I do not believe he had the experience necessary to determine who should be the next team manager at Villa Park.

Faulkner, in charge of business issues, is probably fine ... but the club need to have someone permanantly on tap who knows what they're talking of footie-wise. And that man should be listened to.

Not true. I worked there and had dealings with Faulkner.

He's clearly a pretty good businessman - the club's financial reports underline that. But that's the nub of the isue i.m.o. - he's a businessman and by last year I do not believe he had the experience necessary to determine who should be the next team manager at Villa Park.

Faulkner, in charge of business issues, is probably fine ... but the club need to have someone permanantly on tap who knows what they're talking of footie-wise. And that man should be listened to.

Quite right John. Steve Stride should have been kept on for a couple of years. Graham Taylor on the board etc.

The greatest business man in the world, still the needs a strong working knowledge of his product to run his business successfully. You couldn't run Apple if you knew nothing about computers.

It's a pretty obvious requirement.

How can you say Faulkner is a good businessman

He's presiding over a business that's losing about 150k a day

What's positive about that

Yes, but the macro issues are more to do with Lerner than Faulkner.

I was more referring to the business generation that Faulkner has steered through which showed up well in the last financial report.

The greatest business man in the world, still the needs a strong working knowledge of his product to run his business successfully. You couldn't run Apple if you knew nothing about computers.

It's a pretty obvious requirement.

Quite right in theory, but Kraft bought Cadbury's and think they know better.

There are some business scenarios where it is said that a professional manager can succeed, but Faulkner's move from MBNA to Villa Park did not exactly equip him for football and customer relations of the sporting type.

The Macron kit deal and Genting I suppose are ok deals

Nothing spectacular mind you

We are lagging behind spurs who we should perhaps be on a par with

What? Really? A London club who 2 years ago were playing in the Champions League. We should be competing with that?

It's got to be the end-goal but we're no where near Spurs in any way shape or form at the minute. From a commercial point of view and football.

The thing is that we are all over the place, on the pitch and off it.The way I see it though is that AVFC is a football club so sureley the first priority is the football ? meaning what happens on the pitch and what"s happening on the pitch does not look good to me.I was one of those saying that we are safe this season no matter what BUT with Wigan and Bolton winning and Blackburn suffering a minor bump I am really worried now, I dont want to see us in the Championship, but we seem to be getting closer and closer every week.

Youve missed the point pie

When Faulkner got involved we were probably ahead of spurs as a club

Certainly on a par

Just out of curiosity, what year did PF get involved?

I'd imagine when he did our outgoings compared to incoming were a hell of a lot higher then Spurs'. Which is why we're in the mess we're in.

I really dont want mcleish here next season if he left it would be a massive boost for next season but if he was not going to be sacked then i would want the board to come out as soon as the season finishes and say he is staying. I really hope he goes though, a new manager would be so exciting for next season. Championship or not

Â