The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

Trying to find what the record number of successive home defeats in the league is.

There were certainly 5 at the end of that frozen winter of 1962-63 when Villa hardly played for 3 months from December to March and then had so many games to catch up, losing 11 in total on the trot in the process (which is a total consecutive defeats record).

I can't envisage another run as bad as that in Villa's history. I could be wrong but have just scoured through Villa's bad seasons (like 1935-36, 1957-58, 1966-67, 1986-87 etc) and can't see more than the 5 I've stated.

If 5 is the record then we're one away from equalling it. i.e. if Everton win then that record will have been equalled

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good info John. Given Randy's poor record for appointing clueless coaches/Managers, I'm not sure ten defeats on the bounce would illicit any sort of response though!! Five wins in 20 games is shocking, even the draws are against sides we should expect to beat.

latest update on how Mcleish is vying for worst prem manager with GTMK2. Neck and neck in his ineptness but id say with a better squad!

He's so sh**

Your chart would be better if it just included Premier League games as it is currently not reflective of the real situation.

Before AM was appointed i wanted Martin Jol as our manager. He was available with no compensation needed. He is now starting to get the best out of Fulham and i can only hope that our board now do the right thing by sacking AM and appointing Hughes. But i sincerely doubt it.

Good info John. Given Randy's poor record for appointing clueless coaches/Managers, I'm not sure ten defeats on the bounce would illicit any sort of response though!!

If that be true, Steve, then that banner of "Proud History, Bright Future" becomes more laughable.

No, there has to be point when even the current owner will have to say, "enough is enough" - especially if the gates reduce much further. Who wants to go down to VP to see one ignominious defeat after another?

latest update on how Mcleish is vying for worst prem manager with GTMK2. Neck and neck in his ineptness but id say with a better squad!

He's so sh**

Your chart would be better if it just included Premier League games as it is currently not reflective of the real situation.

Agree with this. The chart is a joy for a stats nut like me but it could be seen as a bit misleading because it includes cup matches in a "points per game" calculation - which provides the basic comparison between managerial records - but you don't get points for cup matches. Also a manager with an easy cup run or early entry to the Intertoto Cup has their results boosted.

It would be interesting to see how the table would look if it just included league matches.

PS I'm also not sure how Kevin MacDonald's games in charge feature here.

No, there has to be point when even the current owner will have to say, "enough is enough" - especially if the gates reduce much further.

But the gates are not reducing significantly.

The last 5 home games have yielded attendances of:

And two of these were against newly promoted sides Norwich and Swansea.

Whilst attendances are in these ranges (admittedly swelled by the casual fans buying cheap tickets touted by desperate commercial staff) the powers that be will not bat an eyelid.

When attendances start dropping below the 30,000 mark on a regular basis then perhaps Lerner will take some notice but not at the moment.

He's so sh**

The stats for other managers i based it upon was set out on there overall figures. so why change it all to just be premiership based?

No, there has to be point when even the current owner will have to say, "enough is enough" - especially if the gates reduce much further.

But the gates are not reducing significantly.

When attendances start dropping below the 30,000 mark on a regular basis then perhaps Lerner will take some notice but not at the moment.

I completely agree with that but conversely would say if Villa continue to drop points at home whilst putting up feeble performances then it would not take long for that 30k to be reached.

However, in that group of matches you quoted the Arsenal match showed some hope and then there was that win at Chelsea before the Swansea match. It's if the hope dwindles completely that RL will have cause to worry about revenues.

I do however feel that it maybe was the 'only' option (in randy's Eyes baring in mind his reluctance to not have prem experience and of course the need for the person to actually want the job).

Again an example of randy holding us back.

Doesn't it worry people about our long term plan that so many managers didn't want the job?

And if the plan was anything but try and stay in the prem and pick up the sky cheque randy might have looked further for a manager willing to come in and try to build something.

At this moment i truly dread what mcleish will build and the damage it will do.

I've just watched his post match interview (don't normally watch them) and he looks devastated like he's about to cry. I've never seen a manager so washed out before. He looks drained.

I think it's only gonna go downhill from here. Just do the right thing and quit.

If I were able to sit down with Randy for five minutes our problem could be very clearly explained. "Swansea do not have better players than Aston Villa Randy, but they do have far, far, far better coaching. Simples!"

It takes a big man to admit he's cocked it up, but RL must now see that AM was the wrong appointment on so many levels. Spend the january budget on righting a potentially catastropic wrong Randy, and get a manager/coach who can coach the beautiful game to our squad of reasonably talented players.

If I were able to sit down with Randy for five minutes our problem could be very clearly explained. "Swansea do not have better players than Aston Villa Randy, but they do have far, far, far better coaching. Simples!"

Thats what makes yesterdays defeat so much worse. It was so clear that everything about the set up swansea had was better than us. The players were clear about what they were doing and their movement and passing was clearly from good coaching and having it drilled into them on a daily basis.

They taught us a lesson in how to play football.

Doesn't it worry people about our long term plan that so many managers didn't want the job?

It would appear it wasn’t the job, but the restrictions. If Lerner and gang had been less dogmatic it would have been a much more attractive proposition.

I keep readinng though that randy will try again once some big earners are gone.

Would managers not want to come here if it meant 12 months of little spending and then the chance to build again in the summer?

Thats what makes yesterdays defeat so much worse. It was so clear that everything about the set up swansea had was better than us. The players were clear about what they were doing and their movement and passing was clearly from good coaching and having it drilled into them on a daily basis.

They taught us a lesson in how to play football.

Spot on BJ. If every Villa fan can see the blindingly obvious truth, then surely RL/PF can see it as well!

Would managers not want to come here if it meant 12 months of little spending and then the chance to build again in the summer?

We obviously weren't inundated with quality applicants the last two times when we needed a manager so maybe it is likely to be significantly longer than 12 months before we can build again (if ever under Lerner).

We obviously weren't inundated with quality applicants the last two times when we needed a manager so maybe it is likely to be significantly longer than 12 months before we can build again (if ever under Lerner).

Thats the point i'm trying to make.

I think lerner is just happy to be in the premier league and mcleish was a manager available and happy to work to that.

Its not acceptable IMO

Â