The retrenchment of expenses plan and the future

Archie

I dont know what its like where you work, but where I work these kind of apparently minor costs relating to employees are also being enforced. When margins are squeezed by increasing costs and decreasing revenue employers will do everything they can to shave pennies.

Welcome to the recession.

I dont know what its like where you work, but where I work these kind of apparently minor costs relating to employees are also being enforced. When margins are squeezed by increasing costs and decreasing revenue employers will do everything they can to shave pennies.

Well yes. Though the point is partly, maybe, that apart from being maybe counter-productive - what's the value of goodwill of the volunteers who run Supporters clubs placed against the cost of 19 programmes for them? These people arrange travel for fans, they do a whole lot, including re-enforcing bonds between "customers" and the "business" that sells those customers things, and seems to desperately need their money.

Is it a good thing, or because of the recession that players are pampered beyond belief, yet volunteer or low paid people are having their perks, worth peanuts, taken away?

It might be the recession, it might be capitalism, but it's wrong.

Attaboy!! THAT is the pertinent point ... Is it something to do with the American way of doing things?

A very well thought out, detailed and well reasoned post thanks for that Pete.

Not that I blame Ellis for not spending millions he didnt have.

He has them now though having made millions out of our football club Woodytom.

Finances can't be too bad; nobody at the club's mentioned "player amortisation" yet.

:crylaugh: I wondered if that term would crop up again some time soon Ironsid!

Whatever Randy is planning, whatever is going on, Ive passed caring. As long as aston Villa get 11 players on the pitch as and when needed, who give there all, then I couldn't really give a shit what else happens.

That can't be enough can it surely. The height of Aston Villa fans expectations has to be higher than that. Personally I want the club to be the best it can be and mid table mediocrity simply isn't the best this great club can do. Shit or shine I'll be there as I have been for more years than I'm caring to remember but the worst thing I could do, or any of us, is accept less than what this club deserves and should indeed question those running the club and push them if it appears they are not striving to get to the heights this great club is capable of getting to.

Jack Urry once gave his explanation about how Villa came to be so successful in those pre-WW1 days of yore ...

Apart from the technical competence of the directors, he said it was the wish to do things right by the patronage. Though they sometimes made mistakes, the board otherwise used every means to do their best for the fans, both in keeping Villa at the top and in the provision of right entrance pricing etc etc

For me, the big factor was that the board and George Ramsay were imbued in the club. They had developed with the club and thought nothing else but about the club.

And the directors did it for free!!

Its a bit difficult to see where else we can make savings on wages with our first team squad.

Our bench is full of kids who may well get more gametime than is good for them or the team.

There was a time when the club would look to sell players before their contract ends but it lloks at the moment the club have got to wait to till their contract ends so when can just get them off the wage bill. Thats bloody poor management in antbodies books. What have we paid out in fees and wages for Beye, Heskey and the recently departed Carew, Sidwell, NRC, Friedel and Shorey with very little return.

I can totally understand that our owner cannot afford to put more money into the club and would not decry him for it. Where I will have a go at him and in all honesty want him gone from the club is because he is a bloody useless business man. Not a clue how to run a football club. Starts off throwing money at it and when that doesnt work hasnt got anykind of plan b.

I dont think having a rich owner will be the answer going forward, having an owner who understands sport and wants success, knows how to build a successful "franchise" from the ground up and will attain success.

Our owner is making our club look a bloody shambles

... I can totally understand that our owner cannot afford to put more money into the club and would not decry him for it. Where I will have a go at him and in all honesty want him gone from the club is because he is a bloody useless business man. Not a clue how to run a football club. Starts off throwing money at it and when that doesnt work hasnt got anykind of plan b.I dont think having a rich owner will be the answer going forward, having an owner who understands sport and wants success, knows how to build a successful "franchise" from the ground up and will attain success.

Our owner is making our club look a bloody shambles

You're close to my feelings on the matter - particularly what I've highlighted above. However, in RL's eyes he may well have a Plan B - one that says "Retrench, use existing resources, then re-build from there". Problem is, that could lead to relegation - and loss of considerable income apart from losing status unnecessarily.

Villa needs a chairman who fully understands sport - definitely - though I think the main problem is that RL has put his trust in PF, a man without any relevant experience. It's no coincidence that both Steve Stride and the previous CEO left.

It would be nice to have a chairman who understands Villa and its supporters - but maybe that's asking for a lot! :D

However wishing RL to leave can leave us in the same position as before. Wanting someone out does not mean a suitable replacement may be available, as was said before Doug left.

Plan A is the only plan that works in this league. You can have the most organised, smartest board in the world and in this league, in these times they'll lose out to a moron with hundreds of billions of pounds.

Nothing else is actually important, we dress it up, so does Randy, we whisper the sweet justifications, so do they, we tie the knots of our argument and the board theirs but ultimately both our frustrations are born of the simple fact that the only thing that matters in this league at this time is how much money you have and Randy doesn't have enough.

Your underlying argument, OutByEaster, has merit of course.

The issue is, though, that Randy doesn't have enough partly because so much has been wasted as a result of poor management - the point made by 'mykeyb'. Too much reign was gievn to MON and there have been so many legal settlements he's had to pay for, a lot of them unnecessary.

Therefore (asks 'mykeyb') how can trust be put in a chairman who seems not able to manage?

With the news that Villa appear to be chasing Owen Hargreaves (having let Makoun go) I am very worried for Villa.

• 2 weeks later...

Attaboy!! THAT is the pertinent point ... Is it something to do with the American way of doing things?

I agree with you John.

The company I work for is American owned and so far this year they have done the following:

A) Didn't hold the annual Christmas Party, which is held at Villa Park each year - Due to "economic climate".

B) Didn't award the annual £250 Christmas bonus in January - No explanation given!

C) Haven't given any pay increases - Due to "economic climate".

D) Made Three of the Management team redundant, 1 x Director (c£120,000pa) & 2 x Warehouse Managers (c£40,000pa each) - Due to "saving more jobs within the business by letting go of higher earners".

But, they then went on to spend over £500,000 on a new Mezzanine floor that they didn't really have a purpose for!

My girlfriend's place is also US owned. Her old employers were bought out by the new ones about 2 years ago. Since then, they have systematically reduced the staff and to a stage where the existing employees are at breaking point with the pressure placed on them.

They used to have little bonuses in place too, such as a £10 gift voucher for each employee on their birthday each year. Also, they used to offer a bonus for long service achievements, such as £500 for reaching 15 years service and £1,000 for reaching 20 years service. They stopped all of those within a year of taking control of the company!

To me, US owned companies are ensuring as many cut-backs as possible with the current economic climate. Whether they are justified or not is a different matter though!

It's a strange thing, but I joined IBM in 1966 and then Chrysler in 1969 (until 1975) and have to say that those were my best years as an employee, working for those US companies - I went freelance in 1977.

It seems as though times have changed.

Â