Gym Routine

olboydave

My lat raises are always from a static position (i.e. not swung) and the movement at the top should be like you're pouring two jugs. Pinky finger higher than the rest of your hand

I actually love lat raises. Not sure why.

Does anyone have that love/hate relationship with certain lifts?

I hate squats. I do them, and I always wonder after why I hate them. but I spend all morning dreading them when it's leg day.

Then there's other lifts like bicep curls that, despite the fact curls are one of the most painful lifts, I really look forward to.

Weird.

I've got all sorts of issues, mostly related to poor posture which has been exaggerated by poor form and not resting with "tweaks" (for example my right shoulder is rotated forward to compensate for a rotator cuff injury sustained while arm wrestling!).

I am converted and like Lazarus I will rise again. But my God, what a palaver.

I hate squats. I do them, and I always wonder after why I hate them. but I spend all morning dreading them when it's leg day.

Then there's other lifts like bicep curls that, despite the fact curls are one of the most painful lifts, I really look forward to.

Weird.

I'm with you on the squats mate. I actually dread doing them but once you get into them its fine. I actually prefer front squats personally though, whilst I can't go as heavy it makes my form much cleaner. I have a problem with squatting where I struggle to keep my back perfectly straight and my arse starts to stick out but on front squats there is no option but to keep your back perfectly straight. 

Dumbbell Pullover, Military press and incline dumbbell presses are probably my favourite.

Edited by sexbelowsound

Weird.

Try the dead-stop raises. Fairly certain you'll love them. Really feel them in the shoulder with the trap taken out of the movement.

I have a love hate relationship with glute ham raises. Dread doing them but love the feeling after.

You'll be tacking on mass in no time [emoji6].

Standard and hammer curls isolate different parts of the bicep. Standard supinated isolate the biceps brachii, whereas the hammers target the brachioradialis. I bet you were dying to know that.

You'll be tacking on mass in no time [emoji6].

Standard and hammer curls isolate different parts of the bicep. Standard supinated isolate the biceps brachii, whereas the hammers target the brachioradialis. I bet you were dying to know that.

Haha, unfortunately I already knew it. Though I did not know the Latin names!

I will yes I'm sure. I was looking at some old selfies, you know the ones you're never happy with at the time? If I can get back to that without the injuries then I'll not complain this time.

Even though my new routine calls for me to go tomorrow I'm going to take it off, properly recover. I can wedge an extra day in Saturday. Won't be going out anyway with Wembley up on Sunday!

I like bicep curls, but I find them to be the biggest burn. As in, they hurt the most when I do them out of any other lift.

Hurt in a good way, obviously!

I have always felt like my biceps lag behind my big muscles in terms of strength to weight ratio. No matter what I do, basically, they never catch up. I find them incredibly frustrating. My outer bi's and tri's are really strong though, hence the hammer love. I guess that is from benching a lot?

Do you guys do cross body hammer curls or just normal out in front ones?

Does it matter?

(I stick to the latter, but I've always wondered if there's any difference)

In other news, I picked some of this up at the weekend

image_28987_original_X_450_white.jpg

Giving it its first test run tonight. Working out later these days (about 8pm) so I need a bit of a boost. Been flagging after half an hour lately.

Let us know how it goes with this stuff mate.

Do you guys do cross body hammer curls or just normal out in front ones?

Does it matter?

(I stick to the latter, but I've always wondered if there's any difference)

I do straight out. I find I use too much shoulder (and trap oddly) on the cross kind, which is backed up by being able to use much bigger weight.

• Like 1

I read a good article by John Meadows where he recommended the cross body hammer curl as the best exercise for building the brachialis. Since then, I've alternated them with reverse curls each week (supersetting them with other biceps work) and found them excellent. I tend to do straight hammer curls on an incline bench.

A great little biceps routine, using agonist supersets is this:

1A Standing EZ curl x 6-8

1B Standing cross body hammer curls/reverse EZ curls x 12-15

3-4 sets

2A Incline curls (palms supinated throughout) x 8-10

2B Incline hammer curls x 10-12

3 sets

Do that once a week and boom.

Â