Gym Routine

olboydave

Well my advice would be that if you think you need it then go for it. A week will do nothing negative to your strength and the rest can be great.

Currently go to council gyms , namely Alexander stadium perry Barr . It's fairly busy there and I just don't enjoy the free weights section anymore, can't explain what it is but I don't like the environment. So I feel a new gym is needed and have thought for the first time of trying a "chain" gym like virgin active star city. Good idea of any other recommendations? I need a mix of cardio and free weights, not too busy, good classes a bonus. Just want a gym where there's a free bench available most of the time really

Near a year since I posted in here. My training has gone awfully these past 12 months.

Was 15 stone in August 2013 and now sitting at 18 stone. Thats what getting married does to you :-p

Really need to turn this around.

I've got through 3 cycles of 5/3/1 recently which has helped my strength, got my compound lifts up to more than I ever have before but my overall physique and CV fitness is depressing.

Was getting shin pain alot at the start of the year so was in and out of football, finally invested in some decent running shoes thanks to Birmingham Runner in Shirley just need to put them on now and build up some leg strength in pounding the pavement.

Near a year since I posted in here. My training has gone awfully these past 12 months.

Was 15 stone in August 2013 and now sitting at 18 stone. Thats what getting married does to you :-p

I've got through 3 cycles of 5/3/1 recently which has helped my strength, got my compound lifts up to more than I ever have before but my overall physique and CV fitness is depressing.

Was getting shin pain alot at the start of the year so was in and out of football, finally invested in some decent running shoes thanks to Birmingham Runner in Shirley just need to put them on now and build up some leg strength in pounding the pavement.

I've no doubt that the 5/3/1 routine is great for adding strength, but have you though about switching it out for higher repetitions? I suspect if you aimed for 3 sets of 8-12 reps then you'd end up with a better balance between fitness and strength.

I've no doubt that the 5/3/1 routine is great for adding strength, but have you though about switching it out for higher repetitions? I suspect if you aimed for 3 sets of 8-12 reps then you'd end up with a better balance between fitness and strength.

I think its more to do with diet, before marriage I avoided sweet foods as I have a weakness for them, but now as we are buying more for the house i eat more junk. Its all about discipline.

On 5/3/1 I do Boring But Big so dropping 5 sets of 10 on compound lifts, then doing 2 or 3 other exercises. Mixing it up between negative reps, pyramids, 30 reps etc just to get a work out.

I think its more to do with diet, before marriage I avoided sweet foods as I have a weakness for them, but now as we are buying more for the house i eat more junk. Its all about discipline.

On 5/3/1 I do Boring But Big so dropping 5 sets of 10 on compound lifts, then doing 2 or 3 other exercises. Mixing it up between negative reps, pyramids, 30 reps etc just to get a work out.

I have no discipline what so ever, the trick is not to buy it. I find it much easier to resist a tube of pringles when I'm staring down a £60 food bill than I do when they're sat in the food cupboard. I find doing my food shop online helps with this, you have time to persuade yourself away from the impulse purchases.

Got my self a belt the other day in preparation for getting in to the big weights .....its now in the bin!!!!!!!! I found it more of a hindrance than a help but after researching belt and the various forms its funny to see lads walking round doing curls with a belt on and others dead lifting with the belt thats skinny at the front  

• Like 1

"Rule 11: Use the tools of the trade to help you. I use devices such as chalk for grip strength, gloves, wrist straps, lifting belts - if it helps you lift more, it's all good."

Ronnie Coleman, Hardcore, 2007 Triumph Books

I haven't worked out in 4 days!!! :(

My left shoulder has flared up bad! I keep showing up for work outs and almost instantly get a really bad headache and dizzy. (pain shooting from my shoulder into my head!) This morning, the headache was already there when I woke up. It's really killing my energy level.

"Rule 11: Use the tools of the trade to help you. I use devices such as chalk for grip strength, gloves, wrist straps, lifting belts - if it helps you lift more, it's all good."

Ronnie Coleman, Hardcore, 2007 Triumph Books

I started out with gloves but I find without a lot better ...also Im finding it more comfortable lifting without shoes 

I haven't worked out in 4 days!!! :(

My left shoulder has flared up bad! I keep showing up for work outs and almost instantly get a really bad headache and dizzy. (pain shooting from my shoulder into my head!) This morning, the headache was already there when I woke up. It's really killing my energy level.

You drinking enough 

3onwgo.jpg

• Like 1

ha. pretty sure I am. The shoulder flares up from time to time (car accident). I am prone to bad headaches. I just think the combo of both has been getting to me. I'll drink more water just in case. :-)

• Like 1

Â