Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

Van Gaal for me, top pedigree, wont take any shit, will attract top players

Houllier bans mobiles in the changeroom

Van Gaal bans mobiles full-stop

Point? If the players can't handle the Houllier regime they certainly wont survive Van Gaal.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well given that the general (rather depressing) consensus is that finishing 7th next season would be considered some sort of achievement, if we are to change I hope that we go for a manager who is entertaining and flamboyant himself or has the ability to produce a flamboyant and entertaining team.

I'm beginning to like the idea of Bernd Schuster. OK the guy has a history of falling out with boards, falling out with the media and being an advocate of the Kevin Keegan book on defensive tactics. However, he's played at the highest level, managed at the highest level (last man to lead Real Madrid to a La Liga title), would command respect of the players, has a big enough name and reputation to attract new players and would undoubtedly set the team up to play an exciting, attacking brand of football. Plus, he's available!

Very good post. High risk, high reward. He'd ship Dunne and Collins out soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo quickly!

I think the board need to be sensible on this one and not take another risk. GH was a BIG risk that failed and to do it again would just be **** crazy.

Must be a proven recent Premiership manager.

None of this pussy footing around looking for someone who isn't currently at a club. Yes I can understand why we didn't do it last year because it would have disrupted another club and really turned people against us but since then the club has proven nothing to me except that it is being run by a bunch of pussies, and GH is a dick, and GMAC is an asshole chuck!!!

Sorry I digress.

My point is that we need to be ruthless this summer on all fronts.

1) Sorting out the GH situation

2) Finding a replacement - Keep hounding Everton until they let us talk to Moyes

3) Buying/Selling players - If you're not good enough you're sold. If we want a player **** go and get him.

Our approach is too nice and we won't get anywhere unless we develop a ruthless streak.

I told Faulkner to get LVG if they were to hire a new manager. :D If I was very naive or dreaming I would say that his reaction meant that they were already thinking about him, a more realistic view would be that he was just nice and polite to a foreign fan who gave a minor and harmless opinion. :P

I told Faulkner to get LVG if they were to hire a new manager. :D If I was very naive or dreaming I would say that his reaction meant that they were already thinking about him, a more realistic view would be that he was just nice and polite to a foreign fan who gave a minor and harmless opinion. :P

did you meet Faulkner or mail him ?

It is largely a question of details: being in the dressing room 30 minutes before the session starts; keeping your things neat and tidy; sitting at the table to eat together, and not reading a newspaper while doing so and being on the team bus punctually after a game.

A snippet from Van Gaals book on his coaching philosophies at Ajax. Our squad was whinging about no mobiles in the sheds? This would be a bad appointment, in my opinion his methods would not work in England, much the same way as Ramos failed methods at Spurs.

It is largely a question of details: being in the dressing room 30 minutes before the session starts; keeping your things neat and tidy; sitting at the table to eat together, and not reading a newspaper while doing so and being on the team bus punctually after a game.

A snippet from Van Gaals book on his coaching philosophies at Ajax. Our squad was whinging about no mobiles in the sheds? This would be a bad appointment, in my opinion his methods would not work in England, much the same way as Ramos failed methods at Spurs.

LVG is a much better manager than Ramos. Our players have been pampered, they should be able to go a training session without their phone and a meal involved in the conversation for 40k a week. LVG is a very good manager and hopefully the players that moaned about Houllier wont be here next season anyway... Besides if the media is anything to go by... Houllier isntthe one they have a problem with. It's McAllister, so maybe the phone thing didnt piss off the players and LVG would be a good appointment.

He's a great manager and It would be a huge coup for the club.

I've no doubt the guy is a quality manager but so is Roy Hodgson. Sometimes managers are a perfect fit for some clubs, while they are not at others. I don't believe Van Gaal would work here. And besides, he has said he's taking a year off anyway so it's probably a mute point.

Dunne, Collins, Warnock all known problem makers will likely be out of VP this summer. Van Gaal strikes me as someone with a little more aura about him than GH. To me Houllier, although I am told doesnt suffer fools gladly, has a very unauthorative demeanour that in the first instance might cause him to not gain the respect of the players. Van Gaal, looks like someone that players would take notice off straight away.

Dunne, Collins, Warnock all known problem makers will likely be out of VP this summer. Van Gaal strikes me as someone with a little more aura about him than GH. To me Houllier, although I am told doesnt suffer fools gladly, has a very unauthorative demeanour that in the first instance might cause him to not gain the respect of the players. Van Gaal, looks like someone that players would take notice off straight away.

do you have any evidence of this ? - they only seemed to become troblemakers in october. Granted they ain't most gifted - but I am not aware of any troublemaking issues.

do you have any evidence of this ? - they only seemed to become troblemakers in october. Granted they ain't most gifted - but I am not aware of any troublemaking issues.

So nothing happened at the team bonding event? And they werent fined. They have also been mentioned as the ones turning up late for training. As for Warnock I have no reason to doubt what MM said and I have seen Warnock play for the reseves and his attitude was poor to say the least.

Van Gaal is an avid promoter of attacking football, educated in the best traditions of the Total Football by Ajax and the Dutch national team of the 1970's. As a coach he is known as a slow starter who frequently finds his players needing ample time to grasp his tactics and intent of play. Generally his teams gather results in the second or third season under his coaching.

During several periods in his career, Van Gaal has had his troubles with the media. He is known to be very blunt with media representatives he perceives to be asking him 'stupid' questions.

When asked about his system in 2008, van Gaal said, in fluent english: "It's a footballing philosophy more than a system. A system depends on the players you have. I played 4-3-3 with Ajax, 2-3-2-3 with Barcelona and I can play 4-4-2 with AZ. I'm flexible. The philosophy stays the same though. I don't think that you can adapt it to every possible situation. You need the right mindset, and it depends on how the players see the coach and vice versa. The coach is the focal point of the team but you need to have an open mind, and so do all the players. Everyone needs to work together to achieve a common goal. Preparing your tactical formation is essential. Each player needs to know where he has to be, and that is why there needs to be mutual understanding because you need absolute discipline. This is a sport played by 22 men, and there are 11 opponents out there playing as a team. Each individual needs to know who he has to beat and be there to support his team-mates."

68% win-rate at Ajax over 6 years. 61% at Bayern Munich in 77 games. 4 time Eredivisie winner, 2 time La Liga winner, 1 time Bundesliga winner, 1 time Champo League winner.

68% win-rate at Ajax over 6 years. 61% at Bayern Munich in 77 games. 4 time Eredivisie winner, 2 time La Liga winner, 1 time Bundesliga winner, 1 time Champo League winner.

Thats not hard when you're at teams considered amongst the bets in their respective leagues is it ?

Its when you do it at team that isnt expected to do well that it makes you special

Thats not hard when you're at teams considered amongst the bets in their respective leagues is it ?

Its when you do it at team that isnt expected to do well that it makes you special

I think he has an impressive record. And only losing 39 games out of 286 is not to be sniffed at, in any league.

(To put it in perspective - Fergie's win rate at ManUre is 59%)

I like Jol's football, his teams can be very entertaining. Lambert has no prem experience but has done an incredible job and Norwich. Hughes is a great man manager and proven to be very competent, ditto Moyes, though his brand of football can be quite dull (would he leave Everton for us?). Bit too soon for Poyet, but one to keep an eye on, had a great start to his managerial career.

So nothing happened at the team bonding event? And they werent fined. They have also been mentioned as the ones turning up late for training. As for Warnock I have no reason to doubt what MM said and I have seen Warnock play for the reseves and his attitude was poor to say the least.

Like I said pre october - I had no knowledge of these players being troublemakers. The way people are going about these you would think they were real bad apples - like lee Bowyer, Joey Barton etc - not just players who turn up late for training - which any manager worth his salt would stamp on anyway.

Like I said pre october - I had no knowledge of these players being troublemakers. The way people are going about these you would think they were real bad apples - like lee Bowyer, Joey Barton etc - not just players who turn up late for training - which any manager worth his salt would stamp on anyway.

Think I'm not making what I meant clear enough. I'm not saying there was trouble when he first joined which I guess is why you keep mentioning pre october. When I mentioned he might not gain players respect it was just a peronal opinion because I dont think GH cuts a very commanding figure and may not get players on side quickly. This is reflected in our performances early on. I mentioned trouble makers because someone else mentioned about Van Gaal being strict and it wouldnt go down well and I was pointing out that some of these players that could make a fuss wouldnt be here. However, just because the players arent found punching people in the face in public, doesnt mean they arent bad apples and many on here would agree we do have some within the club.

Major League asshole, though, and I think Randy prefers more cerebral, less abrasive personalities. That's why Fat Sam or Martin Jol won't get the job either. It'll be someone like Klinnsman or Rijkaard.