Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

BG-10, I'd say we're not in the same position at all. In my opinion we are in a false position due to inept management and certain players not performing. The squad we have is 10 times better than the one he inherited.

Oh I 100% agree.

But randy has to take some blame for MoN leaving and has to take all the blame for hiring houllier and sticking with him. My point is that although he's been great for this club his decisions have led to us finishing on a similar points total to when he first took over us. Like I said surely in any business coming in, investing loads over years and then performing at the same poor level can't be considered a success.

Sorry don't agree on the MON leaving score, I was a big fan of MON however he well and truly left us in the shit, he knew from the start of summer what the objectives of the club are but instead of trying to resolve them he left them, and then when it came to a point he well truly left us in it.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BG-10, I'd say we're not in the same position at all. In my opinion we are in a false position due to inept management and certain players not performing. The squad we have is 10 times better than the one he inherited.

Oh I 100% agree.

But randy has to take some blame for MoN leaving and has to take all the blame for hiring houllier and sticking with him. My point is that although he's been great for this club his decisions have led to us finishing on a similar points total to when he first took over us. Like I said surely in any business coming in, investing loads over years and then performing at the same poor level can't be considered a success.

Really? Randy has stood up and taken the blame as the General alluded to a few weeks back on this forum. He is a classy and respectful fellow.

You need to stop overreacting and blaming. It has been one bad season since Randy has been at this club. MON left us in a problematic situation, and Randy is still here trying to make the club a success. Look to the future now BJ10.

... Also the property that is attributed to Villa Park in the surrounding area is worth a small fortune in itself and wasnt reflected in the price he paid for it.

We've sold most of it iirc, and it was wasn't worth as much as you'd imagine. Land prices in Aston / Witton are not the best

... Also the property that is attributed to Villa Park in the surrounding area is worth a small fortune in itself and wasnt reflected in the price he paid for it.

We've sold most of it iirc, and it was wasn't worth as much as you'd imagine. Land prices in Aston / Witton are not the best

Really? Fair enough, if thats true, I stand corrected.

Big_John_10 wrote:

Maradona10 wrote:

Oh I 100% agree.

Really? Randy has stood up and taken the blame as the General alluded to a few weeks back on this forum. He is a classy and respectful fellow.

You need to stop overreacting and blaming. It has been one bad season since Randy has been at this club. MON left us in a problematic situation, and Randy is still here trying to make the club a success. Look to the future now BJ10.

Yes I would say that all Chairmen make bad managerial appointments every now and again, just like managers sign some poor players. Everyone makes mistakes and what you must do is recognise those mistakes, take action, learn a lesson and don't repeat that mistake!

I hope Randy can do this and I will be quite happy to forget this season!

Mark Hughes wants to sit down and discuss a contract with Fulham, however he can walk away from Fulham come June 1st alongside his backroom staff.

Don't really like the guy? He makes DoL look like Mr Personality? IMO he gives the impression of a plodder!

If the board was competent enough, we wouldn't be in this situation.

Because they hired Houllier? Who has years of experience at a top club in England, won trophies there and then won trophies in France.

Ye, he has been away for a few years but so what? Does that make someone who has experience in an industry, then made redundant, completely inadequate to go back in to the industry after time out? No.

Hiring Lambert, Poyet is worse. No experience at this level, and never won trophies.

Hughes is a strange one. What did he do when he had all the cash at City? Win anything, or even get close?

Moyes is the only candidate that is a viable one. Has proved he can do something on a budget, given a little bit of cash and a team with better players, he could do something. He'd still have to prove to the world (or just us fans) that he can spend he money wisely, which, when you look at what MON did on the whole, isn't as easy.

Mark Hughes wants to sit down and discuss a contract with Fulham, however he can walk away from Fulham come June 1st alongside his backroom staff.

Don't really like the guy? He makes DoL look like Mr Personality? IMO he gives the impression of a plodder!

Really? I do not interpret his attitude that way. He is a winner in my eyes and will give his all to make the club he is employed at a success.

DelboyVilla wrote:

Quote:

Really? I do not interpret his attitude that way. He is a winner in my eyes and will give his all to make the club he is employed at a success.

Just my impression of him is that he is a bit dour and monotone? Maybe it's the Welsh thing?

Moyes is the only candidate that is a viable one. Has proved he can do something on a budget, given a little bit of cash and a team with better players, he could do something. He'd still have to prove to the world (or just us fans) that he can spend he money wisely, which, when you look at what MON did on the whole, isn't as easy.

I think Moyes would be great for us and would be interested in a challenge? He would settle straight in and bring the players together?

If the board was competent enough, we wouldn't be in this situation.

By your posts i get the impression you not really a fan of anything currently at Villa however....

I'm hoping that you do realise that people make mistakes?

I think you'll struggle to find any club that has done things perfectly every time.

Sometimes it pays off other times it doesn't, its realising your mistake and moving on which makes all the difference. :)

I think Hughes has done a very good job at the smaller clubs he's been at. Fulham are ahead of Villa currently. At Blackburn he played to their strengths, at Wales, he got them into the top 30 or so in World football. He was harshly treated at City, getting sacked when they were 4th. I wouldn't mind seeing what he could do at Villa with the resources he'd be given. He is a bit dour, but that might suit us when having to deal with the idiotic behaviour of the players this season. Moyes or Hughes for me, I'd be more than happy with either.

Redman, I respectfully disagree. Liverpool were reknowned, as far as I can remember, for their boring 0-0 defensive football under Benitez. It may have won you the Champions League, fair play, but I think I speak for a lot of Villa fans when I say - we'd like to see some attractive football down at VP. It's been a while after all.

Benitez himself is such a detestable character, it would really sadden me if we got him in.

It's true - plenty of Liverpool supporters grew disillusioned with the football. However, I think it's a mistake to label Rafa as inherently defensive. After all, it was his Valencia side demolishing us in style home-and-away that led to his appointment in the first place.

The way I see it, he was forced into making compromises at Liverpool. Expected to challenge for the title and CL with a lower budget than our rivals, we ended up building a squad of cheaper, competitive players than expensive, stylish ones (Dirk Kuyt being the best example).

Give him control, give him a supportive board who don't bullshit him and I've no doubt he'd turn you into a force. It might not be the most positive football at first - the priority would be making you difficult to beat. But his ethos is based on continuous improvement so as long as everybody continued to buy into his vision, the fun times would follow.

As for his character, the guy is an absolute gent. As an example, he and his wife donated £96,000 to the Hillsborough Family Support Group when he left Liverpool and here he is at the Hillsborough memorial a month ago:

He is also fiercely loyal. At numerous points during his time with Liverpool he could have accepted approaches from Real Madrid, Juventus, Bayern or Inter - and who could have blamed him considering the runaround the previous owners were giving him?

Okay, so he had no time for the press and he wasn't afraid to unsettle players from other clubs. But that was just him protecting the interests of his own club.

Anyway, I've made my case for Rafa - I'll shut up now. :)

You've made a good case in fairness. I'd still rather have Rijkaard or Lambert though :)

I think if Villa approach Hughes, he will be our next manager it is that simple.

Wasn't he Lerner's Nr 1 target 12 months ago ? He's had a very good 12 months at Fulham so he will be a strong candidate.

Perhaps he'll bring Sidwell back home :lol: