Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

Could there be advantages of GH staying?

For instance - Warnock might get back in the squad, etc.

How would that be an advantage exactly?, he was playing awful long before Houllier turned up

I assume he means that if GH stays then Warnock will not play for us, but if he does the door might be open again

I know, my question was how would Warnock playing again be of any help ?

He's been shit since the second half of last season.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Commander, Houllier was asked to make the best of the squad he had and build on it's strengths. Third best defence, or so last season, 6th place finish, some excellent players, despite their downturn in form this season. Asked to build on strengths, he's failed, miserably. He has failed to get the best out of what he has, and even after a transfer window, failed to get the best out of what he's got. The only positive that I can think of is that we have been slighlty better in defence since the turn of the year. Perhaps another positive, Darren Bent's ability to score from nothing.

If GH does go - and I think it's probably 90% sure he has (it seems to have gone very quiet, but I may just be closing my ears to it) - the new manager won't come in and get rid of all the players that have been rubbish this year like GH might.

I'd be happy with that.

Why?

Because he is the best left-back at the club in my opinion and I believe that we are cutting off our nose to spite our face by letting him rot in the reserves.

He's been shit since the second half of last season.

second half of the season? He has been poor since he signed imo and has just got worse since.. I've never rated him and for the money we spent on him.. another waste of money really.

If GH does go - and I think it's probably 90% sure he has (it seems to have gone very quiet, but I may just be closing my ears to it) - the new manager won't come in and get rid of all the players that have been rubbish this year like GH might.

I'd be happy with that.

Why?

Because he is the best left-back at the club in my opinion and I believe that we are cutting off our nose to spite our face by letting him rot in the reserves.

:mrgreen: He's been utter shite ever since the League Cup final. Warnock is not a stick to beat Houllier with. He's a ****, with an overinflated opinion of himself, he's burned his bridges, his position is untenable and I very much doubt that would have been any different under any manager.

I'd be happy with that.

Why?

So it's not because he's English? Naturally none of us know exactly what has gone on with the situation with him, but it must have been pretty bad to relegate him to the reserves.

Despite the things he allegedly said (which if they ARE true, he doesn't deserve to be on our books at all, rotting in the reserves and picking up his paycheck every week is still too good for him IMO), he has been absolutely shockingly shite since the tail-end of last season in my opinion. Yes our defence has been shit all season long, I agree. In m opinion however the inclusion of Stephen Warnock at Leftback is not the missing piece of the puzzle. I never really rated him mind you.

How would that be an advantage exactly?, he was playing awful long before Houllier turned up

Sorry Ulver looking back it does look incoherent.

What I meant was imagine 2 situations

1) GH stays - Warnock gets sold

or

2) GH goes, New manager wants to give Warnock another chance.

The advantage therefore of GH staying is that Warnock wouldn't get that chance with us.

Also I don't think many peopel realise the extent of how much MON has dropped us in it.

it's easy to say we finished 6th 3 years in a row etc - but look at what Houllier was left with and what a new manager will pick up;

So if anyone really thinks this is a top 6 squad we inherited think again please.

I kind of see what you are saying, but those players all performed a lot better under MON and got us those consecutive 6th place positions.

Big thing here is all of their lack of form this season bar a few exceptions, the crippleing injuries we had for a large part of the mid season period and the failure to replace our best player from last year, Milner.

A lot of people to blame!

or

The advantage therefore of GH staying is that Warnock wouldn't get that chance with us.

So whats the advantage to Aston Villa ?

Commander, Houllier was asked to make the best of the squad he had and build on it's strengths. Third best defence, or so last season, 6th place finish, some excellent players, despite their downturn in form this season. Asked to build on strengths, he's failed, miserably. He has failed to get the best out of what he has, and even after a transfer window, failed to get the best out of what he's got. The only positive that I can think of is that we have been slighlty better in defence since the turn of the year. Perhaps another positive, Darren Bent's ability to score from nothing.

I don't disagree that we've been poor - but look at the players; Dunne, Collins and Warnock - they are all very poor and no-one could realistically expect such limited players to have such a good season again. I believe that last season was the 'blip' and this season we're seeing the 'real' players.

Who of MONs players that he's bought in would you want us to start with? I don't think many of them are players you'd classify as top 6 quality.

MONs strengths has always been to get average players to play above themselves i.e. leicester but it seems to me at least that the players he's bought in are mostly average players (on Champions League wages) playing above themselves; which with MON in charge is Ok, but when he's left you are thus left with overpriced average players who we can't offload as no-one will take on thier ridiculous wages.

Anyway enough of my slagging MON - of his players who would say should start for us next season (who is good enough to mount a serious top 6 challenge). I'd go with Downing, L. Young (possibly) and A. Young if he stays.

Also I don't think many peopel realise the extent of how much MON has dropped us in it.

it's easy to say we finished 6th 3 years in a row etc - but look at what Houllier was left with and what a new manager will pick up;

So if anyone really thinks this is a top 6 squad we inherited think again please.

I kind of see what you are saying, but those players all performed a lot better under MON and got us those consecutive 6th place positions.

Big thing here is all of their lack of form this season bar a few exceptions, the crippleing injuries we had for a large part of the mid season period and the failure to replace our best player from last year, Milner.

A lot of people to blame!

True that - I seem to have weighted my post to anti MON than is probably fair, but I do really think we were left in a bad overall position.

or

Would you rather Warnock stay and play in the first team?

Warnock was just an initial example.

I don't think NRC would stay if GH went - GH gave him his chance and I think NRC would sign on if GH were to stay.

What i foresee:

GH stays - fringe/unwanted players go - new players come in/youth players step up.

GH goes - a couple of players join. Fringe/unwanted stay with their huge wages, bad attitudes and lack of fight.

or

I don't think NRC would stay if GH went - GH gave him his chance and I think NRC would sign on if GH were to stay.

What i foresee:

GH stays - fringe/unwanted players go - new players come in/youth players step up.

GH goes - a couple of players join. Fringe/unwanted stay with their huge wages, bad attitudes and lack of fight.

You honestly think a player who's been in our reserves and wants out of Villa will be playing next season? I doubt even the board will be so naive to allow that to happen. He'll be gone.

What i foresee:

You honestly think a player who's been in our reserves and wants out of Villa will be playing next season? I doubt even the board will be so naive to allow that to happen. He'll be gone.

As I said it was just an initial example.

Do the board pick the team?

What i foresee:

As I said it was just an initial example.

Do the board pick the team?

The board have shown in the past they've interfered and they obviously want massive drains like Warnock gone.