Aliens: Colonial Marines

GarethRDR

Overall the impression was pretty negative due to the highly scripted combat, badly scripted script, bad looking acid, dated graphics and whatnot.

I guess you don't like the cornbread, either.

• 2 months later...
Developer Gearbox has confirmed that long gestating movie tie-in Aliens: Colonial Marines will not now be out this spring, but has instead slipped back to the autumn.

Billed as the official sequel to the 1986 sci-fi classic, Colonial Marines has never had an official release date, but it was expected to be out sometime in the next couple of months. But yesterday the official website changed the date to autumn, and then mysteriously changed it back again to spring.

Sega and Gearbox then switched stories again and confirmed the autumn release date to website Game Informer: 'Aliens: Colonial Marines is a process of creativity and invention and those don't necessarily follow the structure of an assembly line.

'While setting clear goals, deadlines and predictions is helpful, they are often subjective. We don't want to sacrifice the creative process just for the sake of following a blue print. We prefer to have the creative discovery shape that blue print because our goal is to make a great game, and we are prioritising this goal over the previously targeted date.'

What exactly is going on is hard to say, as despite being in development for at least three years the game has had only a couple of previews in public and no hands-on. It looked good at E3 and Gamescom when we saw it, but unfortunately now is probably the worst time to release an Aliens-related game in the last 26 years.

Thanks to Ridley Scott's Prometheus, which is billed as a quasi-prequel to Alien, this is the first time since the early '80s that fan interest has been focused more on the original film in the series rather than the more action-orientated sequel.

Prometheus is due out in June, so it's possible Colonial Marines is being delayed to include some reference to it. It's also possible that the game just isn't ready and this is an ordinary delay. We just hope that whatever's going on the game doesn't get lost in the inevitable Christmas rush…

sauce

Ah well. Hopefully this is for more 'polishing'

• 3 months later...

Been delayed again until Feb 12th 2013. This is supposedly a definitive release date. Some rumours/assumptions go along the lines that there is some Prometheus easter eggs being put in...

A few of the AVP games have been pretty good, particularly the 2 on the PC from about... 10 years ago or so. The straight Alien titles have usually failed to live up to much expectation though. And I don't think is going to be any different.

And more so because there is a thing that tends to happen with games stuck in development hell. when they eventually get released, they tend to be nothing beyond disappointing. It basically seems to be that if you make something for that long, you rarely end up with something properly shit - broken unplayable shit - and you rarely end up with something incredible either. It's always something that doesn't blow anyones socks off.

I also don't have great expectations of pretty much anything Gearbox do so...

Destined to disappoint.

All Alien games to date have been shite.

Aliens Versus Predator 2 on the PC was **** brilliant.

**EDIT** Beaten to it by Chindie.

I also had AvP on Atari's ill-fated Jaguar console (yes I was one of the four people that owned one) and seem to remember that was pretty decent for the time.

AvP_1_b.JPG

alien_vs__predator.jpg

The original AvP on PC, from 1999, was superb IMO. If there was a weakness it was in the predator campaign, which was ridiculously tough since your weapons were so slow and your invisibility was useless against aliens. The marine and alien campaigns were great though, as was the multiplayer. Still very few FPS experiences compare to my memories of being in a pitch dark tunnel, defending myself against endless aliens using the motion tracker and the auto-aim on the smartgun, as acid splashed all over the walls and ceiling. It even had volumetric explosions, something I discovered by accident when I fired off a rocket launcher in a confined space and the fireball ballooned down the corridor to meet me.

My expectations for this new game couldn't be much lower, so at least I can't be disappointed.

Destined to disappoint.

All Alien games to date have been shite.

Aliens Versus Predator 2 on the PC was **** brilliant.

**EDIT** Beaten to it by Chindie.

Thirded.

That game was great

• 8 months later...

This actually comes out in a couple of weeks.

It still doesn't look all that good and it's positioning itself as a proper sequel to Aliens is looking increasingly daft.

Also, my earlier issue raised, same enemy all game, has seemingly been solved. They've chucked in xenomorph variants.

Sigh.

I hope they've done the entire Kenner toy line, for kicks. I need to see the Killer Crab Alien in a supposedly canon game.

aliens-crab.jpg

Edited by Chindie

This actually comes out in a couple of weeks.

It still doesn't look all that good and it's positioning itself as a proper sequel to Aliens is looking increasingly daft.

Also, my earlier issue raised, same enemy all game, has seemingly been solved. They've chucked in xenomorph variants.

Sigh.

I hope they've done the entire Kenner toy line, for kicks. I need to see the Killer Crab Alien in a supposedly canon game.

aliens-crab.jpg

Gorilla Alien with rubbery water-pistol head or GTFO.

supposedly canon game.

no supposedly about it, fox have greenlit the script as canon

Yes it is meant to be a continuation after the events of Ripley on the sulaco

From what i've seen mechanically it looks Linear and alot of the action is scripted

Pretty meh but ill buy it anyway

Â