Aliens: Colonial Marines

GarethRDR

Is this game actually **** happening or what? I remember openly sobbing with joy at reading about it 3 years back (they got Syd Mead on board for design, Syd **** Mead! :shock:) , I've heard sweet F.A. about it since and on Gearbox's website under 'Games In Development' they've listed it next to Duke Nukem Forever which puts the shits up me good and proper.

The fact that they're also running a recruitment campaign on their homepage for what must constitute an entire gaming staff doesn't fill me with optimism either. :(

Still in development, they teased a few shots of it a few months back just to remind people that it still exists at an expo.

Borderlands popularity and all the DLC they did for it basically meant a lot of the workforce got shifted to that away from Aliens, but it should still get made.

I can't help thinking that, regardless, it'll be shit. Theres something about the aliens franchise that seems to make games in the series either quality (the earlier PC AvPs) or shite (everything else). A shooter with the same monster all game might get a tad dull, especially when it's something that's going to rely on scaring the player.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I watched the gameplay video earlier, it's about 10 minutes long or so. It looks good. Basically if you liked Aliens the movie you are pretty much bound to love this. All the official sound effects were shown off, and the managed to give you a good look around Hadley's Hope and some of the LV-426 scenary, which included loads of little tidbits from the film. A nice bit of the walkthrough involved the player setting a sentry gun, as per the section of the film in the directors cut, followed by the xenomorphs breaking through a door and spreading all over the place, the walls, the floor the ceiling. Looking great.There are bound to be comparisons drawn to Dead Space, Gears of War, and to a lesser extent Mass Effect - but the fact is those games probably wouldnt exist as we know them had it been for Aliens.

Not to shit up the good feeling about this game in this thread, but when this video came out a month or so back I remember discussing it on another forum. Overall the impression was pretty negative due to the highly scripted combat, badly scripted script, bad looking acid, dated graphics and whatnot.

Just offering an unwelcome alternate viewpoint, no crucify plxthx

Not to shit up the good feeling about this game in this thread, but when this video came out a month or so back I remember discussing it on another forum. Overall the impression was pretty negative due to the highly scripted combat, badly scripted script, bad looking acid, dated graphics and whatnot.

Just offering an unwelcome alternate viewpoint, no crucify plxthx

Work in progress mate, a long long way off completion yet.

Â