Houllier - released from contract with FFF

Brumerican

A you happy with Houllier's Appointment?  

628 members have voted

1. 1. A you happy with Houllier's Appointment?

• Oui
    • Non
    • Undecided

A club that belongs between 7th and 12th? I hope not, Gerard. I hope not.

No harm in dampening expectations, it's a requirement for any Villa manager. He's taking the piss with that statement though. He's inheriting a club that has finished 6th for three years in a row, that's not between 7th and 12th. We are a club that belongs between 4th and 8th, if you ask me. Anything below that is underachieving with the squad and backing we have.

Being 'objective and honest' is all well and good, but not in your first press conference. I hope the football does the talking in the future.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Passed 3 years we have established ourselves a a top 6 club. As for all this bollocks about lets take average Premier league finishes since the Premier Leagues inception to set our expections. By that token Man Cities expectations should be to finish around 14th and Spurs and Everton around 12th.

The previous manager established us among the top 6. Had it have been once it could have been judged as a fluke but 3 times on the bounce is long enough to have set a consistent standard therefore I'm happy to judge the clubs, and new managers, progress or regress against that league position.

You do that if that's what makes you happy.

No harm in dampening expectations, it's a requirement for any Villa manager. He's taking the piss with that statement though. He's inheriting a club that has finished 6th for three years in a row, that's not between 7th and 12th. We are a club that belongs between 4th and 8th, if you ask me. Anything below that is underachieving with the squad and backing we have.

Being 'objective and honest' is all well and good, but not in your first press conference. I hope the football does the talking in the future.

He never said anything like that in the press conference!!!

He never said anything like that in the press conference!!!

Some people will always run before they can walk.

I wish fans would stop propagating rubbish like this it does nothing but hurt the club and it's unacceptable that people would shoot their mouths off at the expense of Aston Villa.

Its how he pecieved us from his comfortable seat in Paris!

Its what he said today thats important. He sees us challenging for Europe this season, then eventually breaking into the top four and challenge for the top.

He thinks we have the squad to compete for fourth this season. Though he did say with a bit of luck, and a couple of additions as and when we can.

Lets put it this way.

Do you think a man of his standing in the game, with the record he has, take a mamagerial job to finish between 12th and 7th?

Not on your nelly!!!!! :lol:

Hes come to move us on and win things 8)

The 3 months thing is because in France the normal notice perido is 3 months. Just like here, if you want to leave your job your employer could legally make you work for a month before you leave. In his current job, the FFF COULD make him work for 3 months if they wanted. however, that's only their legal right. Houllier is negotiating an early release and there's no reason to believe he won't be given it.

Link

Gerard Houllier has delivered a stark warning to Aston Villa fans after taking over from Martin O'Neill.

Despite finishing sixth for the past three seasons, Villa can expect to finish between seventh and 12th according to their new boss.

The former Liverpool manager, who will no longer take charge of the match against Stoke on Monday, said: 'Aston Villa is not a club on the same level as Liverpool, let's be objective and honest.

Oh no, what have I gone and said? Houllier faces the media at Villa Park on Friday

'It's a club that according to me has belonged between seventh and 12th place in the Premier League.

'But, above all, it's a historic club which has won the European Cup. It's a club which has got good infrastructure and a fine team which is after one thing - to improve year on year.'

Houllier revealed he rejected other offers before taking charge at Villa and hopes to build on the success achieved under O'Neill.

Fresh challenge: Houllier puts his shirt on making his mark with Aston Villa

He said: 'It was really starting to tickle me. I wanted to go back pitchside. I had, of course, other proposals but this one seemed to be the most interesting in terms of working conditions and environment.'

Houllier was expected to make his bow in Monday's clash with Stoke but that has now been put on hold, and he is not expected to take over for another fortnight.

He revealed at his official unveiling on Friday afternoon that he has to agree a

departure date from his role of technical director with the French Football

Federation.

If all goes to plan, the 63-year-old is set to be at the helm for the first time for the home Carling Cup game with Blackburn on September 22.

In charge for now: Kevin MacDonald

Houllier will not attend Monday's Barclays Premier League clash at Stoke while he thrashes out the terms of his exit from the FFF.

He will return to England for the home match with Bolton on September 18 but Kevin MacDonald will remain as caretaker boss for the next few days.

Houllier said: 'I take great pride in my appointment as manager of Aston Villa. It is a great honour for me.

'Why am I here? One of the reasons is that I think Randy Lerner [owner] and Paul Faulkner [chief executive] have great enthusiasm, dynamism and honesty and they convinced me of their ambitions for the club.

'I had a good job with the FFF but I had a desire to return to English football - although it is not a case of unfinished business because I did well at Liverpool and won six trophies.

Houllier confirmed that MacDonald will not be part of Villa's first-team set-up.

He said: 'I spoke to Kevin this morning and he prefers to go back to his role as reserve team manager.

'He has done a very good job and I trust him and I am sure our relationship will be good.'

Are the Daily Mail fabricating quotes now?

I must be imagining these '7th-12th' quotes then? I'm sure I read them in this thread earlier.

I stand corrected if of course, he hasn't said this.

He was misquoted or to be accurate the quotes were mistranslated as many of our linguistically gifted poster have pointed out.

Right, so what did he say then?

I must be imagining these '7th-12th' quotes then? I'm sure I read them in this thread earlier.

I stand corrected if of course, he hasn't said this.

You're not imagining them.

They were quoted in Le Figaro (from a radio interview).

Edit:

...Despite finishing sixth for the past three seasons, Villa can expect to finish between seventh and 12th according to their new boss...

That, however, is very much something which he didn't say or, I don't believe, meant.

Aston Villa is not a club of the same level as Liverpool” he said. “Let’s be objective and honest, it is a club which, for me, finds itself between seventh and twelfth place. It is above all a historic club, which has won the European Cup. It is a club which a very good set up, a good team, and which demands just one thing: to progress year on year”. Why choose a mid table English club after having tasted a higher level in the past? “I had other offers, but this seemed to me the most interesting in terms of environment, of work conditions”

Mistranslated by some knob and repeated by the moan brigade as us belonging in 7th - 12th place.

Â