Support in Vienna

Lion-heart

In no way is this one of those I'm a better fan than you threads. I'm lucky enough to be in a position where I can get to follow the team in Europe. But on Thursday night there were less than 200 fans in the away section. Just with those I met, that included 2 fans of other teams, enjoying the experience, 2 who came from Barcelone, 2 from Hungary, 1 from Austria, 1 from somewhere in Eastern Europe(didn't recognise the accent) and 1 who had accompanied her boyfriend for a shopping trip. Now for a club which averages nearly 40,000 each home game, that is a poor turnout in my view. Talking to the Rapid fans, Liverpool took over 1000 for a pre-season friendly. Now Vienna is a beautiful city, hardly in an inaccessble location like Turkestan or Iceland, so why the apathy?

There are probably many reasons, but the biggest one I can think of is that foreign trips to expensive places aren't really in fashion right now, regardless of who you support.

I can't even afford to see Villa at home on regular occasions at the moment, let alone fly to an expensive city like Vienna.

Vienna is no more expensive than Dublin.. I wonder how many would be demanding tickets if we just so happened to get there next year for the final. Again, I know that economically things are tight, but less than 200? Fulham took more than that away in the early rounds last year.

Its early in the comp with no permanent manager and a reserve side out. People probably feared the worst.

Come on, no one knew, nor expected such an inexperienced side, when the tickets were bought. Maybe thinking about it a bit more, maybe it's just such short notice for the play-off rounds. 2 seasons ago, there were over 2000 at Prague and Hamburg, but those were announced way before the date.

Could be that alot of those who went to the away leg last year didn't feel the need to go again having experienced the ground already.

Also the knock out games come pretty quickly after the draw leaving little to get the money together, making arrangments, time off work etc. You get a bit more notice on the group fixtures and I'm sure we'll muster our excellent away support for them games (if we get through that is).

Its early in the comp with no permanent manager and a reserve side out. People probably feared the worst.

Come on, no one knew, nor expected such an inexperienced side, when the tickets were bought. Maybe thinking about it a bit more, maybe it's just such short notice for the play-off rounds. 2 seasons ago, there were over 2000 at Prague and Hamburg, but those were announced way before the date.

Come on you. It was very likely we would play a weakened team there. The sounds have always been that the Europa league is for giving first team experience to the young players and is not to be taken seriously.

Vienna is no more expensive than Dublin.. I wonder how many would be demanding tickets if we just so happened to get there next year for the final. Again, I know that economically things are tight, but less than 200? Fulham took more than that away in the early rounds last year.

Fulham were definitely taking the competition seriously. They don't get to Europe that often. They were not going to finish fourth. It's a terrible comparison.

I think 200 fans going across Europe to see the reserves is good enough.

And yes if we get to the final, everyone will want a ticket. Are you new to the attendance of sporting events? And no one will look poorly on those who get tickets for not going to watch the team play in Vienna, nor will they look favourably on people like you who did go.

How big's your TV?

Funny enough, most guys I met went last year, had such a good time returned this time.

The other side being, the guys you met had money to go last year and still had money this year. That isn't surprising

disagree about the dublin comment, bohs cost me £35 for the flights, 8am till 10pm great day out

hamburg cost £100 officially through the club, vienna cost £550 through the club, and there was no budget flights from brum (to be fair i spent all of 10 mins looking) ryanair etc dont fly there

plus then factor in like someone else said, we were there last year, plus then factor in one of the problems last year, in theory you could get 3 teams in the group stage that cost less in travel than vienna so fans will wait to see what they are instead

i plan on doing one euro away game this year, but its safe to say it'll be the cheapest one rather than the best one

Come on you. It was very likely we would play a weakened team there. The sounds have always been that the Europa league is for giving first team experience to the young players and is not to be taken seriously.

Fulham were definitely taking the competition seriously. They don't get to Europe that often. They were not going to finish fourth. It's a terrible comparison.

I think 200 fans going across Europe to see the reserves is good enough.

And yes if we get to the final, everyone will want a ticket. Are you new to the attendance of sporting events? And no one will look poorly on those who get tickets for not going to watch the team play in Vienna, nor will they look favourably on people like you who did go.

How big's your TV?

My TV is probably significantly smaller than yours, for what it's worth. And again, this is not a "better fan than you" thread. It was a statement of my views. From a cost perspective, a couple we met paid £280 for flights and 3 nights accomodation, which I though was pretty reasonable.

From a cost perspective, a couple we met paid £280 for flights and 3 nights accomodation, which I though was pretty reasonable.

That is pretty reasonable. But from my perspective (and don't think I'm trying to justify it, I know you're not launching an attack on fans), I was working on Thursday until 5:30, so I would have had 15 minutes to get to the airport, get a flight, and get to the stadium.

Add onto that the fact that I've got to book £450 flights to Florida on payday as I'm going to a festival there in October, it's not affordable to also go to Austria.

I think most people are in similar financial situations. This sort of time, when people go on summer holidays, and in the run up to Christmas, most people have pretty much no money.

If we've got any European away days after Christmas, expect the support to start increasing.

hamburg cost £100 officially through the club, vienna cost £550 through the club, and there was no budget flights from brum (to be fair i spent all of 10 mins looking) ryanair etc dont fly there

Errr,

Ryanair fly to Bratislava, which is 30 miles from Vienna.

I estimate around 500 Rapid supporters arriving on special charters next week.

Errr,

Ryanair fly to Bratislava, which is 30 miles from Vienna.

I estimate around 500 Rapid supporters arriving on special charters next week.

like i said i didnt put that much effort in because im waiting for an easier one in the next round, i wouldnt even have thought of looking to fly into other countries and travelling in, i was checking luton, manchester, liverpool flights etc but not landing elsewhere, and that still would have made an in and out job a ball ache

i listed a few reasons for not going, people have listed a few more too, like i said the main reason for me is the assumption a cheaper game will come up if we get into the group stage

Â