Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ranieri would be quality for us. He's unlucky IMO that he has came up against an amazing Arsenal and Mourinho's Inter sides when he has had go at a bigger club. And he pretty much laid the foundations for Mourinho to take over at Chelsea. He's very good at building teams and developing players too.

Plus he makes me smile, he's just a very nice guy.

He would be ideal, but Roma is a massive job despite them being skint and it would take some persuasion to get him here.

In an ideal world now that I think about it he would be my first choice, as he is a man who likes to build.

Love Ranieri but you couldn't find a more opposite management style to O'Neill with Ranieri we'd be lucky to have any subs left by half time.

I reckon we break the bank and get Joachim Löw. The female attendance would go through the roof and maybe he could convince some of those talented young Germans to join Villa.

I think Joachim Löw benefits from Louis Van Gaal at Bayern and a brilliant youth system in general. It's hard to judge national team managers as they don't work every day with players and dont really directly influence them.

If we were to go for a national manager I would go all out for Hitzfield.

I think Joachim Löw benefits from Louis Van Gaal at Bayern and a brilliant youth system in general. It's hard to judge national team managers as they don't work every day with players and dont really directly influence them.

If we were to go for a national manager I would go all out for Hitzfield.

I agree that we really should be looking for a manager with some worthwhile club management experience rather than just good performance in a national team job. Even so I'm struggling to come up with a shortlist of potential candidates who really excite me. Hitzfeld has undeniable ability, but he is 61. I'd rather we went for someone younger, who could realistically give Villa five to ten years if things work out well.

Hitzfeld has undeniable ability, but he is 61. I'd rather we went for someone younger, who could realistically give Villa five to ten years if things work out well.

Agree. It's clear we need to build slowly, so would rather have someone who's going to stick around. A lot of us thought MON would be that someone, but the search for our Bill Shankly goes on.

Aye he's old, but Hodgson is 63 and I dare say not many people would disagree if he went to us. Redknapp is also 63!

Experience is key for teams aspiring to do something worthwhile.

Experience is important I agree, but it isn't impossible to get a manager in his late forties or early fifties who would also have a great deal of managerial experience.

However, a source close to the Villa board insisted during a telephone conversation on Friday morning that any talks ongoing between Bradley and U.S. Soccer were “inconsequential” to the Villa position, which opened up when former boss Martin O’Neill quit on Monday.

Nice. That's one of them I'd fear the most :-)

Yes, you've made that abundantly clear :D

Apparantly rumours in Holland are rife that Ronald Koeman is coming to us!! will post a link in a mo!

LINK: http://tinyurl.com/34psk64

No thanks, that would be a crap appointment!

Why?

I know very little about him but wondering why he would be such a disaster.

From what I remember:

Ajax: didn't do to well. Sacked or quit (can't remember)

Benfica: did alright in CL, didn't win league. Left for PSV before sacked

PSV: Won Erdivisie. Left for Valencia.

Valencia: quit with them doing badly (bottom half even maybe)

AZ: Shit, sacked

Not a brilliant record other than winning Dutch league with PSV- akin to winning SPL with Old Firm tbh.

Posted from a few pages back, hope it helps

Having heard him on WM's phone in last night i have decided Big Ron needs to come back , with Big Mac as his assistant
......if we were ever gonna bring one of our 'old boys' back, it would have to be John Gregory for me........l know he had his faults, but he still bleeds claret and blue.......love it when he does his punditry on one of our games and he's sat there in his Villa tie !............and his record stands scrutiny next to most of our managers...