Barry Bannan

villianusa

The biggest problem for me is that he hasn't lived up to his potential, despite having the perfect stage to do so. Players like Westwood, Sylla and even Delph have all improved, while Bannan IMO has gone backwards.  Whether that's his fault or the just system we play I don't know, but it might be best for both parties if he did move on.

Swansea forums generally don't seem to be too pleased about the potential Bannan signing, though have clung onto the above quote in an attempt to be positive about it!

I've signed up so I'll tell them a bit about him later.

The biggest problem for me is that he hasn't lived up to his potential, despite having the perfect stage to do so. Players like Westwood, Sylla and even Delph have all improved, while Bannan IMO has gone backwards.  Whether that's his fault or the just system we play I don't know, but it might be best for both parties if he did move on.

Swansea forums generally don't seem to be too pleased about the potential Bannan signing, though have clung onto the above quote in an attempt to be positive about it!

I've signed up so I'll tell them a bit about him later.

Let us know when you do. I get the feeling it's going to be comical once you get that 5 yard pass .gif out.

• Like 2

Exactly why are Swansea interested in Bannan? Hope I am not missing something? I've seen in a number of games that Swansea play a fast game and work hard to move the ball around, I just don't think he has done enough to warrant a move to a club that has had quite a successful season.

Exactly why are Swansea interested in Bannan? Hope I am not missing something? I've seen in a number of games that Swansea play a fast game and work hard to move the ball around, I just don't think he has done enough to warrant a move to a club that has had quite a successful season.

Perhaps some of the Villa fans on this thread are not being truly reflective of his standard of play this season? If you listened to them Bannan would be lucky to get into a Championship team. A Europa League one? Everyone laughs at me.

I did mention Swansea earlier in the thread. Why? Bannan is a continental style footballer, and Swansea play a more continental game. We don't get 100% out of Bannan with our system. They've seen enough in his performance level this year to think they can get more out of him with theirs.

Exactly why are Swansea interested in Bannan? Hope I am not missing something?

Laudrup is absolutely made up with Con's heat maps & charts & wants to beat Barcelona to the punch!

Apparently the 4 yard pass .gif has alerted many of Europe's top clubs to Bannan's ability, Barcelona love a player who can pass the ball. Swansea will be lucky to get him  :P

Perhaps some of the Villa fans on this thread are not being truly reflective of his standard of play this season? If you listened to them Bannan would be lucky to get into a Championship team. A Europa League one? Everyone laughs at me.

I did mention Swansea earlier in the thread. Why? Bannan is a continental style footballer, and Swansea play a more continental game. We don't get 100% out of Bannan with our system. They've seen enough in his performance level this year to think they can get more out of him with theirs.

I also mentioned Wigan earlier in the thread. Would Bannan be good enough to get into their Championship side? No. The only reason Wigan would be a good destination for Bannan is because it means he would be out of our club. Who cares where Bannan ends up as long as he is out of B6?

What do you mean by continental?

The Spanish style that has been found out in recent times?

The German style which is the current successful model that we are trying to emulate?

French? Portuguese? Polish?

When you say 'continental', you're generalising a huge amount and considering your speciality is stats, which by nature are specific and the direct opposite of generalising, it's a bit contradictory.

What do you mean by continental?

The Spanish style that has been found out in recent times?

The German style which is the current successful model that we are trying to emulate?

French? Portuguese? Polish?

When you say 'continental', you're generalising a huge amount and considering your speciality is stats, which by nature are specific and the direct opposite of generalising, it's a bit contradictory.

When I use the term "continental style" I am referring to a style of football which puts the tactical emphasis on technical skills rather than power and pace.

The big continental leagues - France, Germany, Italy, Spain - are more technical than the Premier League, with the Spanish league being the most technical of these continental leagues.

You say the Spanish style has been found out but on evidence of last season's Champion's League it's still doing better than the British. 

I feel like we have some sort of duty to link that Swansea forum to this thread so that they don't get their hopes up based on Con's mental delusions.

I too have been reading the 'Con goes to Wales' Barry Bannan thread at PlanetSwans

Best bits (From Con, now called 'BannanInfo')

I consider Bannan to have more talent than Westwood but he has more lapses in concentration.

With the right application and the right manager he will blossom into a world class player.

I think you are very lucky to have him and I reckon this is probably the only British player Laudrup was happy to have his scouts shove under his nose.

The ONLY British player Laudrup would be happy to have his scouts scout.

Edited by HalfTimePost
  • Like 1

How could he possibly know who Laurdup does and doesn't want to scout?

Theres some kind of argument between Laudrup and the Swanse hierarchy over their scouting. Only briefly read on the Swans forum about it, sounds as though Swansea have a set scouting system regardless of who is manager (which has done them well so far!) which mostly scouts the UK. I guess, similar to Lambert, picking up younger, cheaper technical players. Laudrup disagree's and would rather spend time scouting the likes of La Liga to try and find the next Michu.

So Con was basically jumping on this and suggesting that Laudrup would accept this scouting report due to the undeniable 'future world class talent' that is Barry 'Iniesta' Bannan.