Barry Bannan

villianusa

How can so many people be trolled for so long  :huh: .

Thanks Keyblade - The best way to sum up this thread is Eat Shit for breakfast, after all 20 million flys can't be wrong can they!

& in the words of Duncan Bannatyne - For that reason I am out!

I really enjoyed watching Bannan as a youth/reserve player. I was delighted when he made it to the first team, but he’s just never stamped his authority on games like he did when he was at youth level. What seemed easy to him at youth level will require some hard work at senior level, and to me he’s just never made that leap. Its sad, but it happens. For all parties involved a move a way would be the best bet.

He's got at least as much talent as Westwood, more in certain areas, but game time in a lower division does appear to trump game time in reserve league.

The new U21 league is intended to bridge the experience gap for the academy players but that came too late for him.

It's wrong to say he has "failed" though, because you don't post the stats he has done failing.

I would agree he hasn't bossed enough games as a playmaker, which is probably down to lack of experience.

There is a difference between set plays and within game plays. You don't need much experience to get set pieces right, but 64 first team (PL) games is not much experience for within game plays.

I'd guess it would be his choice to move. Like Lichaj, he is solid in many respects, too good to sell, but too good to stay.

I didn’t use the words fail; he just hasn’t applied himself in my opinion. He may be more talented than Westwood, but then some would say so is Ireland, and ultimately its more than just being talented; it’s application. He’s a kind of lesser Hendrie, and I suspect whilst he may look back on his career as being successfully financially, I think he won’t in what he has and could have achieved.

Maybe he just hasn’t got what is needed mentally.

I really enjoyed watching Bannan as a youth/reserve player. I was delighted when he made it to the first team, but he’s just never stamped his authority on games like he did when he was at youth level. What seemed easy to him at youth level will require some hard work at senior level, and to me he’s just never made that leap. Its sad, but it happens. For all parties involved a move a way would be the best bet.

He's got at least as much talent as Westwood, more in certain areas, but game time in a lower division does appear to trump game time in reserve league.

The new U21 league is intended to bridge the experience gap for the academy players but that came too late for him.

It's wrong to say he has "failed" though, because you don't post the stats he has done failing.

I would agree he hasn't bossed enough games as a playmaker, which is probably down to lack of experience.

There is a difference between set plays and within game plays. You don't need much experience to get set pieces right, but 64 first team (PL) games is not much experience for within game plays.

I'd guess it would be his choice to move. Like Lichaj, he is solid in many respects, too good to sell, but too good to stay.

I didn’t use the words fail; he just hasn’t applied himself in my opinion. He may be more talented than Westwood, but then some would say so is Ireland, and ultimately its more than just being talented; it’s application. He’s a kind of lesser Hendrie, and I suspect whilst he may look back on his career as being successfully financially, I think he won’t in what he has and could have achieved.

-Waits patiently for heat map of Bannan's brain.

He's got the mentality in the sense of composure for the game. His penalty goal shows that, and his set piece taking.

It's the within game play that is currently letting down his game.

Perhaps there is a mentality to that. Don't know what that would be.

You have to ask the question; does he really want it?

What makes Mark Cavendish the no. 1 sprinter in the world on a bike? Its not his power, because he isn’t the most powerful. Its his desire to be the best. Bannan just doesn’t have it, and I don’t think is willing to make the sacrifices. He should take a leaf out of wee Gordon’s book, go tee total and eat bananas...

It's not mentality, he's just not a good player. His one somewhat redeeming quality is he can sometimes hit a good pass.

Can he tackle? No

Can he hold up the ball? No

Can he run at opponents with the ball? No

Can he win headers? No

Can he score goals? No

He is negligible at everything except for passing the ball.

• Like 1

Plausible. The jump between reserve league and Premier League during free play (with set pieces there is no 'jump') is possibly larger than he expects. He needs to 100% focus on his football to be a success at Premier League level during free play. Maybe he's not doing that, and he makes errors of concentration. 

Well, I'm really enjoying watching this current Villa side and I really see no way back for Bannan now. I hope we replace him with someone more effective. The only time I'd play Bannan now is if Westwood was injured. I don't see Westwood and Bannan playing together again, and Westwood is twice the player. So may be time for Bannan to move on. 

Edited by PieFacE

Plausible. The jump between reserve league and Premier League during free play (with set pieces there is no 'jump') is possibly larger than he expects. He needs to 100% focus on his football to be a success at Premier League level during free play. Maybe he's not doing that, and he makes errors of concentration. 

Bigger than L2 to PL?

Bigger than L2 to PL?

Yes. First team football is in front of a large crowd. It means something to the club financially. More pressure. 

How much of a difference is there between L2 and PL reserve?

Because if Bannan and Westwood aren't far off in talent, then why has the one who has made the step up this season been our best midfielder and the one who has numerous PL appearances under his belt before this year, been tripe?

Bannan's been around the first team a while now, he should have adapted. If he can't make the step up he's not good enough. Westwood has taken it in his stride and is outperforming Bannan within his first season.

Bannan's been around the first team a while now, he should have adapted. If he can't make the step up he's not good enough. Westwood has taken it in his stride and is outperforming Bannan within his first season.

GET OUT OF MY HEAD ;)

wow can't believe this thread still rages on even when the guy isn't playing

I think we will only truly get an idea of how good some of the fringe players are like Bannan when the pressure is off - hopefully at the start of next season. For much of the season everyone who has had come into the team has done so under truly grim circumstances, and if they have made mistakes or not done enough to change the terrible form they have been savaged.

Because if Bannan and Westwood aren't far off in talent, then why has the one who has made the step up this season been our best midfielder and the one who has numerous PL appearances under his belt before this year, been tripe?

I would suggest the maturity of Westwood vs Bannan suggests there is a lot of difference. Bannan has at least as much talent as Westwood. That shows at least on set pieces where he can take his time and use his high level of technical skill.

Let's not get into an unproductive argument over the general quality of Bannan's performances. He's done very well to win 6 matches in 18 starts and win one MOTM award.

I would suggest the maturity of Westwood vs Bannan suggests there is a lot of difference. Bannan has at least as much talent as Westwood. That shows at least on set pieces where he can take his time and use his high level of technical skill.

Let's not get into an unproductive argument over the general quality of Bannan's performances. He's done very well to win 6 matches in 18 starts and win one MOTM award.

At least? That makes me think you rate Bannan higher than Westwood.

Well it doesn't show on set pieces because he's shit at them.

I don't get the Westwood vs Bannan debate, they are two completely different players doing completely different jobs.

I've made this point before - Westwood is Xavi, Bannan Iniesta. 

Even though they have different styles of play we can still roughly compared their development progress.