Barry Bannan

villianusa

Verb
Persuade (someone) to do or believe something, typically by use of a deception.

Noun
  1. An instance of deceiving or tricking someone.
  2. A disadvantage.
  3. A convict.
  4. A convention, esp. one for science-fiction enthusiasts.

Synonyms
cheat

He's picked for the subs bench again. Those who said he was persona non grata were wrong. That's conclusive. He might not get on the field today without an injury but the fact he could do says to me he's still in the plans of the manager.

Not Stephen Ireland? 

That was supposed to be it with Bannan. Finito.

Except there he is, in his Villa kit.

If you remember back to what people were saying after the Stoke game, two games in a row on the subs bench is not at all what they were expecting. That's all I'm saying.

As someone who works as a statistician, I would make two points: first, that stats can tell you useful things about football players; second, that most football stats are too simplistic. For example, Con's points-per-game stat would be much more meaningful if it took into account the points-per-game scores of the players Bannan was playing with and against in each of those games. Even then, there are plenty of factors that would be missing. This is why we get real people to manage football teams, and not computers. This is also why I instinctively ignore the footballing opinions of anyone who obsessively plays Football Manager.

My view on Bannan is that he adds some balance on the left, which nobody else in the squad offers at the moment. He also shows glimpses of being quite a good passer. The downside is that his corners and free kicks this season have been absolute gash, and he's hardly left his mark on a game with his tackling. I don't know how that WhoScored website have decided he's a good corner taker, but use your eyes to see that it isn't true. Remember the Bradford games? Let's give him a chance, but you're kidding yourself if you think that underneath all the transparently bad performances lurks a statistically incredible player. Sometimes you just have to believe your eyes. Football isn't baseball.

• Like 2

As someone who works as a statistician, I would make two points: first, that stats can tell you useful things about football players; second, that most football stats are too simplistic. For example, Con's points-per-game stat would be much more meaningful if it took into account the points-per-game scores of the players Bannan was playing with and against in each of those games. Even then, there are plenty of factors that would be missing. This is why we get real people to manage football teams, and not computers. This is also why I instinctively ignore the footballing opinions of anyone who obsessively plays Football Manager.

My view on Bannan is that he adds some balance on the left, which nobody else in the squad offers at the moment. He also shows glimpses of being quite a good passer. The downside is that his corners and free kicks this season have been absolute gash, and he's hardly left his mark on a game with his tackling. I don't know how that WhoScored website have decided he's a good corner taker, but use your eyes to see that it isn't true. Remember the Bradford games? Let's give him a chance, but you're kidding yourself if you think that underneath all the transparently bad performances lurks a statistically incredible player. Sometimes you just have to believe your eyes. Football isn't baseball.

You don't have to be a statistician to realise that the stats being posted on this thread are a load of tosh. You just need common sense and a neutral agenda.

Also, Bannan doesn't give balance on the left... he plays deep in the center, which is the main reason why we have leaked so many goals this season... no adequate cover for our defense.

It's no coincidence that we have looked a lot more solid at the back in the last couple of games, nor that Westwood has got more assists in these two games than our "playmaker" has all season.

UTV.

• Like 1

What is someone doing giving Bannan any praise whatsoever? Nobody is allowed to give him any credit, otherwise the Earth might topple out of its orbit and fall into a black hole.

What is someone doing giving Bannan any praise whatsoever? Nobody is allowed to give him any credit, otherwise the Earth might topple out of its orbit and fall into a black hole.

You earn credit. You don't get it for twisted stats and false facts.

• Like 1

Tbf, every time we win shouldn't be a trigger to bash one of our players. What does it say about us as fans, that every time we win a game we bash a product of our own youth academy for the simple reason that he wasn't playing. I think we should talk about him when he next plays a game.

Edited by Cambridge-AVFC
  • Like 3

Tbf, every time we win shouldn't be a trigger to bash one of our players. What does it say about us as fans, that every time we win a game we bash a product of our own youth academy for the simple reason that he wasn't playing. I think we should talk about him when he next plays a game.

Which will hopefully be never

"Twisted facts and false stats" - this is a complete myth.

Click the links. I'm not the only one who has noticed them.

This ostrich mentality to Bannan's talent is mind-boggling.

BTW we weren't very good on crosses and set piece delivery today. 

"Twisted facts and false stats" - this is a complete myth.

Click the links. I'm not the only one who has noticed them.

This ostrich mentality to Bannan's talent is mind-boggling.

BTW we weren't very good on crosses and set piece delivery today. 

Ignorant..

1) The crossing stars are full of false statistics because they contain corners.

2) Bannan and Shorey are in this chart for "top crossers" - this does not take into account goals, just where a ball is played. 

3) Benteke is the top target man in Europe for duels in the air. He has played in most of the 18 games Bannan has (if not all) and has not had a goal from the crossing.

4) Players such as Lambert have more assists than Bannan and there is a long list of players from teams below us who have more assists in poorer teams.

5) Westwood in the same position has more assists.

6) Sidwell - by your account - is world class, due to his points won when in the Fulham team. Fulham are distinctly average.

7) Best form this season? Since Barry was dropped.

*6a) This stat does not take into account those who played in the game with Bannan, those who had an impact, an assist, a goal, created chances, defended and more. Bannan could have been carried by the team just as Bennett was today

• Like 1

Benteke is not top target man in the air. Crouch and Carroll both win a higher percentage of their headers. Benteke is top of the absolute number headers chart because he has played more games.

Here's the deal. If you are so comfortable with your opinion, with yourself, that Bannan was a bad player you would not be demanding me to agree with you. You'd laugh at this thread and just not bother to contribute.

Why not just walk away from this thread. I'm not going to bump it unnecessarily.

I'm just happy Bannan has been dropped and since then we have pulled clear of the relegation zone.

It would appear Con, that the hatred on this site towards Bannan is not actually going to relegate Villa. Wrong once again!!!