Barry Bannan

villianusa

Indeed, Scholes has arguably been the best midfielder the PL has seen in terms of consistently delivering quality in many forms

Absolute model pro aswell

IMO, Scholes was up there with the very best. Davids, Nedved...Scholes sits equally with all of those. Phenomenal player.

fixed for you ;)

:lol:

Indeed, Scholes has arguably been the best midfielder the PL has seen in terms of consistently delivering quality in many forms

IMO, Scholes was up there with the very best. Zidane, Davids, Nedved...Scholes sits equally with all of those. Phenomenal player.

As good as Zidane? I would say Zidane was one of the top tier of great players - and Scholes wasn't in that bracket.

Id put him with Davids and Nedved but for me those two are nowhere near the Zidane bracket!

Nor are they in the same league as Beckham or Giggs (who definately have the WOW factor).

Beckham and Giggs have both adapted their game with age better than scholes imo, and hopefully Barry bannan will too :winkold:

IMO, Scholes was up there with the very best. Zidane, Davids, Nedved...Scholes sits equally with all of those. Phenomenal player.

As good as Zidane? I would say Zidane was one of the top tier of great players - and Scholes wasn't in that bracket.

From the great man himself....

"My toughest opponent? Scholes of Manchester. He is the complete midfielder"

"Scholes is undoubtedly the best midfielder of his generation"

“He’s almost untouchable in what he does. I never tire of watching him play. You rarely come across the complete footballer, but Scholes is as close to it as you can get.

“One of my regrets is that the opportunity to play alongside him never presented itself during my career.”

“He was an extremely tough opponent to play against. You didn’t get any time on the ball when he was around. He would close you down and make your life ­terribly uncomfortable.

“He is the type of player you want on your side, not in ­opposition because he could do so much damage.

“He is very gifted. He makes the game look easy because he’s so much natural ­ability.”

“It has enabled him to solely concentrate on club football which has ­undoubtedly extended his domestic playing career.

“You have to adapt as you get older. You don’t have strength and energy in abundance. You have to compensate for you age and listen to your body.”

I have a great arguement against this Wiggy.......

What do most great pros say about Emile Heskey?

From the great man himself....

"My toughest opponent? Scholes of Manchester. He is the complete midfielder"

"Scholes is undoubtedly the best midfielder of his generation"

“He’s almost untouchable in what he does. I never tire of watching him play. You rarely come across the complete footballer, but Scholes is as close to it as you can get.

“One of my regrets is that the opportunity to play alongside him never presented itself during my career.”

“He was an extremely tough opponent to play against. You didn’t get any time on the ball when he was around. He would close you down and make your life ­terribly uncomfortable.

“He is the type of player you want on your side, not in ­opposition because he could do so much damage.

“He is very gifted. He makes the game look easy because he’s so much natural ­ability.”

“It has enabled him to solely concentrate on club football which has ­undoubtedly extended his domestic playing career.

“You have to adapt as you get older. You don’t have strength and energy in abundance. You have to compensate for you age and listen to your body.”

I have a great arguement against this Wiggy.......

What do most great pros say about Emile Heskey?

That he's a hard worker and great to play with? I doubt I've ever seen anyone say "Heskey is the greatest striker of his generation".

Paul Scholes is a role model. For me – and I really mean this – he's the best central midfielder I've seen in the last 15, 20 years.

I've spoken to Xabi Alonso about him. He's spectacular, he has it all: the last pass, goals, he's strong, he doesn't lose the ball, vision. If he'd been Spanish he might have been rated more highly. Players love him.

Good enough for me!

As far as Bannan goes, I think the comparison with Scholes was more making the point that the hope is that he can emulate Scholes to a certain degree. Hopefully he can fill that sort of role for us. Of course, it's massively unlikely that Bannan will ever be as good as Scholes, but he might as well try to learn from him seeing as they're similar types of player.

bannan isn't in scholes' league, not even close

he was last season ;)

don't get what you mean, how anyone can compare bannan to 1 of the best midfielders of his generation is beyond me

:shock:

what do you mean by that? is scholes not 1 of the best midfielders of his generation?

he was last season ;)

don't get what you mean, how anyone can compare bannan to 1 of the best midfielders of his generation is beyond me

what do you mean by that? is scholes not 1 of the best midfielders of his generation?

Scholes was pretty shat last season.......

he was last season ;)

menat they were both in same league last season ;)

he was last season ;)

Yep, just amazed you of all people, dont understand someone comparing average players (atm with Bannan) to very good players.

FWIW, I dont understand it either but didnt realise we were on the same planet :D

he was last season ;)

menat they were both in same league last season ;)

sorry i forgot that he retired last season

Paul Scholes is a role model. For me – and I really mean this – he's the best central midfielder I've seen in the last 15, 20 years.

I've spoken to Xabi Alonso about him. He's spectacular, he has it all: the last pass, goals, he's strong, he doesn't lose the ball, vision. If he'd been Spanish he might have been rated more highly. Players love him.

Good enough for me!

As far as Bannan goes, I think the comparison with Scholes was more making the point that the hope is that he can emulate Scholes to a certain degree. Hopefully he can fill that sort of role for us. Of course, it's massively unlikely that Bannan will ever be as good as Scholes, but he might as well try to learn from him seeing as they're similar types of player.

Thank you. That is, indeed, all I was trying to say. Of course, I had forgotten that this is Villa Talk, and I'm not allowed to have a positive outlook for any of our players.