Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would normally agree with you. However, I am growing tired of these players that only care about themselves. If they don't want to play for us then **** them. Seriously, I'm sick of it all.

Are there really (m)any players that are not like that, though?

I think we'd be left with a very threadbare side/squad if we left it down to desire to play for Villa.

I'm seeing exactly the same comments from you when we was looking for a new manager. You thought there was no way we we would appoint McLeish and look what happened...You became rather confused and frightened that the board alienated you. But here you are back to defending them thinking that something is being done behind the scenes like they've got everything planned.

It does look like we have to use the kids and Randy is pocketing the money for himself. Randy has spent absolutely nothing of his money since the beginning of 2009. I'll allow you to work that one out. But if you wanna bury your head in the sand and think everything is alright then carry on...

Why are your bothered about what i said in the past?

You seem to be making up a lot of things.

I hoped for better but we didn't get better, doesn't mean it will be the end of the world though like your trying to make out.

I've gotten used to AM and until we're actually doing shit under him then he deserves a chance, but for some your not allowed to change your mind it seems.

As i said give them a blumin chance for gods sake.

You talking as if thats that we're not going to sign anyone and sell everyone.

You just simply dont know that.

Downing had a great season. We've just sold Young and appointed McLeish manager. If a club spending as much as Liverpool, with the chances they'll have next season compared to us came in and he wasn't interested in moving I reckon he'd need his head examining.

Well my view is that he signed a contract here.. We stood by him & paid for his recuperation after a serious injury & to simply want out just because flippin Liverpool have tapped him up (suprise suprise remembering the disgraceful Barry tapping up thing & the timing of it when we were pushing for Europe & etc) when they are not in Europe, Champs League or whatever, is quite frankly about as low as it gets for me. I'm not daft i realise there is no loyalty in football & it's purely all about money & the teams with it get the "rub of the green" etc but even so this crosses the line for me. I know people say "yeah but it's Liverpool" & even though they havn't won anything in years & are not even in Europe they are still a big club etc!!

I could say exactly the same about another club i know!

Wow. He goes I will really, really worry about next year. It appears we aren't very attractive to players or managers at the moment which means we will have to make do with a lot of our youngsters. Sure, they might be up to the task but it is a big risk. I'm trying to stay positive here, but my lord it seems we're sliding down that slippery slope with ever increasing momentum... AM and Lerner really has a lot to do, as do we fans.

Well my view is that he signed a contract here.. We stood by him & paid for his recuperation after a serious injury & to simply want out just because flippin Liverpool have tapped him up (suprise suprise remembering the disgraceful Barry tapping up thing & the timing of it when we were pushing for Europe & etc) when they are not in Europe, Champs League or whatever, is quite frankly about as low as it gets for me. I'm not daft i realise there is no loyalty in football & it's purely all about money & the teams with it get the "rub of the green" etc but even so this crosses the line for me. I know people say "yeah but it's Liverpool" & even though they havn't won anything in years & are not even in Europe they are still a big club etc!!

I could say exactly the same about another club i know!

Let's not forget that Liverpool and Spurs were after him when he decided to join us.

I think, as it was when he initially signed for us, Downing is simply looking at where the respective clubs seem to be heading at the moment. He wants to win things. This "club x" is bigger than "club y" stuff is silly. And, yet again, it simply underlines the small-time, inferiority complex some of our fans have. If a club seems to be on the up and is an exciting place to be is all that counts.

Onto other matters. I recall when we signed Downing, forums such as "The Liverpool Way" (whatever that means) were rejoicing that such a "mediocre" player was joining Villa. Oh how attitudes change in a matter of months!

By the way, a big "Hello," to anyone tuning in from said Scouse forum. Irony is a splendid thing. Anything over twenty million and he's all yours!

I was being sarcastic, he kept making out their policies have changed with the new board and blamed the old board and Benitez for the Barry saga.

I did catch the sarcasm Maradona :winkold: My mass hysteria was aimed at Redman :lol:

Incredible to think the guy actually believes that probably too :lol:

if he wants to go let him go assuming someone meets our asking price, which really shouldn't be any less than £20m plus extras. if nobody wants to pay it then fine, hold onto him for another year and sell him for £12-14m next summer. it's not ideal, but it takes a bit of the pressure off finding a replacement for him this year given that we've so many other areas to strengthen. we can worry about getting in a new left winger next year instead

although if we could get nzogbia in, and a cheap backup like that lad at the dutch club, for whatever liverpool are willing to stump up then we should go with it. id buy in the 2 new players before letting downing go though

Spurs and Liverpool approached him in the January window prior to his move to us however would not touch him when he had a broken foot.

Oh right it gets better :lol: So it was a kind of "let Villa pay for your recovery then when your back fit shove in a transfer request & we'll come & get you"?

Unbelievable the levels some will sink too. If i was Randy i'd say "your staying put sunshine! You owe us & the fans here at least another season & if you don't like it you shouldn't have come here, signed a contract & then tried to take the p**s.. Now put your boots on & start running mother f****er"

Spurs and Liverpool approached him in the January window prior to his move to us however would not touch him when he had a broken foot.

Oh right it gets better :lol: So it was a kind of "let Villa pay for your recovery then when your back fit shove in a transfer request & we'll come & get you"?

Unbelievable the levels some will sink too. If i was Randy i'd say "your staying put sunshine! You owe us & the fans here at least another season & if you don't like it you shouldn't have come here, signed a contract & then tried to take the p**s.. Now put your boots on & start running mother f****er"

This.

I don't think the injury put them off. Injuries don't put clubs off "quality" players - case in point Liverpool signing the crocked Carroll.

I'd rather Charles n'zogbia than downing anyway - so a 20m fee for downing - 12m for N'zogbia (the fee whelan has publicly set) gives us an extra 8m to improve our central midfield options. Downing is a limited player - would rather see n'zogbia and Jimmy back to replace him.

Â