Summer 2010 Transfer Talk / Unfounded Speculation

bickster

I seriously, seriously, seriously, seriously do not know why people want Rodellaga

He is 24 , so he isn't some 18 yr old.

He has scored 13 goals in two years

He scored 8 goals last year.

In short, he is big strong, and scores the very occasional goal.

Funny that, I thought we already had someone like that that 99% of us would carry to another club to get rid of !.

The only thing I can think of is people of just judging him on "that goal" - coz he did absolutely sod all for the majority of the season.

Goalscorer needed !

EDIT

I said big - he is only 5'11 - so he isn't even that ! And he is 25 this month

I'm bored of people using nothing but stats to decide on a player. It is a lazy and more importantly it is often an inaccurate way of assessing a player's worth or ability. If discussions have resorted to nothing but that then why not save everyone the trouble and just link to a soccerbase stat page.

Hugo Rodallega is one of very few players who have managed to come to the Premier League from the Mexican league and almost instantly take to the style of play and pace of the game. It was a huge jump to make in practically every area footballing and non-footballing and yet he did it effortlessly. And by extension we have yet to see the best of him. Much in the same way as others will rightly defend Agbonlahor, Rodallega too has improved each time he has performed for Wigan. He is only going to get better and he is already good enough in my view to walk into this side.

From a physical and football development point of view he has 4 years of improving before he reaches his peak as a footballer. From an experience and lifestyle point of view he is also only going to become even more familiar with the English game and become more settled and a better player. He was a stand-out player in a poor Wigan side that had lost most of it's other stars going into last season. He was one of few who came out of last season there with any credit IMO and in my view without him they would have gone down.

Yeah but for the prices being quoted BOF

15million - come on????

Milner £28m...i dont think anything else needs to be said! :|

Randy lerner - £1.5 billion

Sheikh Mansour - £500 billion

I dont think anything else needs to be said!

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't matter how many billions that guy has i wouldn't swap him for Randy Lerner!

ok, but that wasnt what we were saying. I was trying to justify why James Milner being sold for a ridiculous price is not a reason to buy Hugo Rodallega for a ridiculous price.

15million - come on????

I agree that the price is a bit rich but that's not the discussion that's going on here. If we want to talk about price then we'll do that. But I'm trying to establish first that this is a player who would benefit us.

On the price thing. We're buying a striker. They're the most expensive player on the pitch. We're buying someone they don't want to sell. Someone they don't need to sell. That also pushed the price up. We're buying someone whose stock is high. You'll do well to get any kind of player who will improve your side up front for less than £10m. So while I think £15m is a bit on the steep side I don't think it's unexpected for the selling side to demand that. Then you bargain down to whatever.

I seriously, seriously, seriously, seriously do not know why people want Rodellaga

He is 24 , so he isn't some 18 yr old.

He has scored 13 goals in two years

He scored 8 goals last year.

In short, he is big strong, and scores the very occasional goal.

Funny that, I thought we already had someone like that that 99% of us would carry to another club to get rid of !.

The only thing I can think of is people of just judging him on "that goal" - coz he did absolutely sod all for the majority of the season.

Goalscorer needed !

EDIT

I said big - he is only 5'11 - so he isn't even that ! And he is 25 this month

I'm bored of people using nothing but stats to decide on a player. It is a lazy and more importantly it is often an inaccurate way of assessing a player's worth or ability. If discussions have resorted to nothing but that then why not save everyone the trouble and just link to a soccerbase stat page.

Hugo Rodallega is one of very few players who have managed to come to the Premier League from the Mexican league and almost instantly take to the style of play and pace of the game. It was a huge jump to make in practically every area footballing and non-footballing and yet he did it effortlessly. And by extension we have yet to see the best of him. Much in the same way as others will rightly defend Agbonlahor, Rodallega too has improved each time he has performed for Wigan. He is only going to get better and he is already good enough in my view to walk into this side.

From a physical and football development point of view he has 4 years of improving before he reaches his peak as a footballer. From an experience and lifestyle point of view he is also only going to become even more familiar with the English game and become more settled and a better player. He was a stand-out player in a poor Wigan side that had lost most of it's other stars going into last season. He was one of few who came out of last season there with any credit IMO and in my view without him they would have gone down.

15million - come on????

Milner £28m...i dont think anything else needs to be said! :|

Randy lerner - £1.5 billion

Sheikh Mansour - £500 billion

I dont think anything else needs to be said!

I think that is $1.5BN actually not £

15million - come on????

I agree that the price is a bit rich but that's not the discussion that's going on here. If we want to talk about price then we'll do that. But I'm trying to establish first that this is a player who would benefit us.

On the price thing. We're buying a striker. They're the most expensive player on the pitch. We're buying someone they don't want to sell. Someone they don't need to sell. That also pushed the price up. We're buying someone whose stock is high. You'll do well to get any kind of player who will improve your side up front for less than £10m. So while I think £15m is a bit on the steep side I don't think it's unexpected for the selling side to demand that. Then you bargain down to whatever.

Thats a good point. Let me ask you a question though, (and I have not seen much of wigan tbf). How much do you think his goal he scored at VP has influenced people to think he would be a top player?

It doesn't matter how many billions that guy has i wouldn't swap him for Randy Lerner!

I bloody would :lol:

Roughly speaking the £28M we get for Milner is about 3.01% of the total worth of Randy and about 0.006% of the total value of the Sheikh

15million - come on????

With them signing Boselli one could argue that they are looking to sell and I would say they definitely need the money. Everything else you said is on the money.

Thats a good point. Let me ask you a question though, (and I have not seen much of wigan tbf). How much do you think his goal he scored at VP has influenced people to think he would be a top player?

I think his goal against us put him on our radar. We then watched him more closely because he was potentially a quality player playing for a side that we could feasibly nick him from. I would hope that goal wasn't the deciding factor in someone's opinion of him but as I say, it brought him to our attention and the rest of the season will have made our mind up. And for me he didn't disappoint.

I feel sorry for you if that's your honest opinion!

I'd hate to be a supporter of one of the sides that are ruining football.

I feel sorry for you if that's your honest opinion!

I'd hate to be a supporter of one of the sides that are ruining football.

I'd stop going. (After I'd seen the new players in the flesh once or twice).

Stop going?

Haha... we go and sign some really class players and you'd stop going?

Come on, apart from maybe 10 clubs in the whole of the English footballing league, we're just as bad as Man.City. It's not as if we're some Division 2 club who are skint and not spending any money. We've spent an absolute fortune as it is, we're doing exactly what Man.City are doing but on a lesser scale. Chucking money at it.

I'd get my season ticket's worth of seeing them as I've already renewed, but yeah, through princible I'd probably stop going (though I hate to do it).. I'd go to my local and watch Halesowen Town 8)

Thats not true at all, we are building a structure, we have a lot of faith in our Academy and that'll be shown in recent years, thats why i feel sorry for City, they've brought through some great young players and now there futures are up in the air, Onuoha, Richards and Irelnad won't be in Man City shirts next year.

Stop going?

Haha... we go and sign some really class players and you'd stop going?

Come on, apart from maybe 10 clubs in the whole of the English footballing league, we're just as bad as Man.City. It's not as if we're some Division 2 club who are skint and not spending any money. We've spent an absolute fortune as it is, we're doing exactly what Man.City are doing but on a lesser scale. Chucking money at it.

Precisely and it still isn't enough.

People who say we are doing it the right way are deluding themselves a bit as

a) we have chucked loads at it already

B) I'd argue we are not actually doing it at all