Summer 2010 Transfer Talk / Unfounded Speculation

bickster

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bit-part players who contributed very little to the overall league campaign and certainly can not take anything but very very little credit in helping the club achieve it's final league position. Just my view.

Randy has said plenty of times there is money to spend. But a sell to buy policy makes sense for loads of different businesses, but if the opportunity arises he would happily pay cash upfront for players.

“I think. on the other hand if opportunities arise in which the net number of sell-to-buy doesn’t equal what’s required to take advantage of an opportunity then you may spend the money and I wouldn’t exclude us from that group that may do that.”

"We are not in some sort of mode in which we are shutting the door on spending on players."

We can easily buy players before we sell, it's really whether MON wants to or not is another matter. We have a business model to work with unlike clubs like City.

If you're operating a sell to buy policy then surely you cannot buy before you sell?

Who said we are? I only read an article that said we might have to depending on how much we were looking to spend.

Do you really think there are NO funds in place for a transfer or two?

Bit-part players who contributed very little to the overall league campaign and certainly can not take anything but very very little credit in helping the club achieve it's final league position. Just my view.

I agree in terms of Sidwell - although how much that is down to Steve Sidwell is questionable - I happen to think given a chance - Sidwell can do a job, and has before.

But for Gudjohnsen - no way.

He almost single handedly won them the game up at Stoke, which got them 3 points in a really tough match - and they never really looked back after that. 3 points they were clear of City at the end???? Not saying there the 3 points that won it obviously, but without them they might not have got 4th.

Also, I dont underestimate the influence a player like Gudjohnsen, who has been there, done it and won it - had on the team. As someone posted earlier - hes a calming influence.

Was he a main player? No

Could he/Should he have scored more goals - Probably

Did he play a part - Most definately

Randy has every right to tell MON to ship out a few players before he buys in the summer. The man has failed to rotate a squad, which he openly said he would.

People are getting paid £20,000+ just for showing up to training. It is ridiculous.

If you're operating a sell to buy policy then surely you cannot buy before you sell?

Who said we are? I only read an article that said we might have to depending on how much we were looking to spend.

You tell me based on these from Randy

“There’s money there to be spent on the team,” he said.

“I say that carefully within the context of knowing the summer brings a very dynamic environment of players coming and going and rethinking existing contracts.

“So I’m careful not to simply say here’s a brand new amount of money, go and spend it. I’d prefer to say our ambitions to get better remain and that we are not in some sort of mode in which we are shutting the door on spending on players.

“But to say it simply as a lone statement without including it in the broader realities of what the summer brings would be misleading.

“I think there’s a sell-to-buy policy in nearly every organisation on the planet.

“I think that it’s good business to try to sell to buy.

“I think. on the other. hand if opportunities arise in which the net number of sell-to-buy doesn’t equal what’s required to take advantage of an opportunity then you may spend the money and I wouldn’t exclude us from that group that may do that.”

Asked if he would entertain spending extravagant amounts on a player, Lerner said: “I just don’t think we could write a cheque for £30m.

“On principle or on budget? On budget. I think that would be outside of our means.”

You tell me based on these from Randy

“There’s money there to be spent on the team,” he said.

“I say that carefully within the context of knowing the summer brings a very dynamic environment of players coming and going and rethinking existing contracts.

“So I’m careful not to simply say here’s a brand new amount of money, go and spend it. I’d prefer to say our ambitions to get better remain and that we are not in some sort of mode in which we are shutting the door on spending on players.

“But to say it simply as a lone statement without including it in the broader realities of what the summer brings would be misleading.

“I think there’s a sell-to-buy policy in nearly every organisation on the planet.

“I think that it’s good business to try to sell to buy.

“I think. on the other. hand if opportunities arise in which the net number of sell-to-buy doesn’t equal what’s required to take advantage of an opportunity then you may spend the money and I wouldn’t exclude us from that group that may do that.”

Asked if he would entertain spending extravagant amounts on a player, Lerner said: “I just don’t think we could write a cheque for £30m.

“On principle or on budget? On budget. I think that would be outside of our means.”

Seems to be to be saying there is money to spend but some of that money will be from selling players.

How else can you interpret it?

Let me translate that for you Richard as you seem incapable:

Hey, some of the money we spend will come from the sales of players but we also if the opportunity/player is right, will spend without having to sell anyone.

You get that?

Hey, some of the money we spend will come from the sales of players but we also if the opportunity/player is right, will spend without having to sell anyone.

/discussion

You said we are only in a position to sell to buy, that's not the case.

I didn't actually I asked a question.

What really is pathetic is people seemingly not accepting an alternate position and chosing to read something that is not there and then from that getting all angry and testy over it.

It's a little hard when people singing the same song over and over, yet when they are told they're singing out of tune they seem impervious to the truth.

Some people are basically the fat lass at the karoke, who doesn't realise how rubbish they are at singing and eventually drives the punters up the wall.