Summer 2010 Transfer Talk / Unfounded Speculation

bickster

Temperament of an immature school boy.

Shows signs of being a quality player still, even without consistent PL football. Probably just the same rumour that always pops up, but i would be very happy for the lad to come to Villa.

Bentley--Milner--Petrov--Young

or

--------------Petrov-----------------

-------Milner--------Downing-------

Bentley-----------------------Young

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are worse players than Bentley out there, and there are certainly better, he seems to be the modern day Robbie Keane, linked with Villa every 5 minutes. Wouldn't be adverse to signing him, he's done well to force his way back in at Spurs showing good character. As for Bendtner, no thanks, would be very keen at all. Seems to struggle in a good Arsenal side, will watch his World Cup and see how he plays for Denmark.

We don't need him on what basis?

A player that could mirror Milner. Albiet, probably not end up as good, but one that can play RW, CM, CAM and be a very good addition. Sidwell and Osbourne out, Bentley in.

EDIT. Some of Downings best play this season has been when he has picked the ball up in the centre and ran at the defence

Shows signs of being a quality player still, even without consistent PL football. Probably just the same rumour that always pops up, but i would be very happy for the lad to come to Villa.

or

That midfield would be poor IMO. Petrov would be left horribly exposed, more so than he is now.

A player that could mirror Milner. Albiet, probably not end up as good, but one that can play RW, CM, CAM and be a very good addition. Sidwell and Osbourne out, Bentley in.

EDIT. Some of Downings best play this season has been when he has picked the ball up in the centre and ran at the defence

He could TRY and mirror Milner. Ive no doubt hed be a good addition to the squad, but if we're limited in who we can buy, then hed be a lot of money for a sub. BTW, im basing this on us on not selling Milner, obviously things change if he goes.

I dont think we need widemen, at least not expensive ones and im guessing he'd be about £12m???

I would. I was merely thinking along the lines of MoN. He isn't going to drop our captain (well, captain from last season)

Still like the idea of implementing Miguel Veloso (yes, him again) into a DM role. He plays for a decent team, in a poorish league, but against Everton he looked assured, had energy, tackling ability, positional sense and can defiantly pick a pass.

He could TRY and mirror Milner. Ive no doubt hed be a good addition to the squad, but if we're limited in who we can buy, then hed be a lot of money for a sub. BTW, im basing this on us on not selling Milner, obviously things change if he goes.

I dont think we need widemen, at least not expensive ones and im guessing he'd be about £12m???

I think its worth remembering that Bentley can play in the middle very well, arguably better than wide.

Another holding player is a must as Petrov is the only one we've got (fit) at the moment.

or

Wouldnt work. Petrov would be blowing out of his arse 20 minutes in. Downings a winger, not a midfielder. He CAN run at players through the middle, but Petrov would be exposed. If you had Parker instead of Downing, id say it looked better. Then, if you then put Downing on the right instead of Bentley i say better still.

I think its worth remembering that Bentley can play in the middle very well, arguably better than wide.

Another holding player is a must as Petrov is the only one we've got (fit) at the moment.

But Bentley wouldnt fit into the centre if Milner was here would he?

If we played 3 across the middle in a 4-3-3, i wouldnt have Bentley with Milner and Petrov, wed have no ballwinner in their.

If Bentley playd in a 4-4-2, id wouldnt fancy him in our system, wed have no ballwinner again. Wed have quality on the ball in all postions, but that wouldnt be enough. I think :)

According to somebody on 606 who claims to know MYSTERYMAN, he has said that Milner doesn't even want to go to City but he'd got to Man U (can't blame him) and apparently Mourinho is interested in Milner and could take him to Real Madrid or Inter. Oh and West Ham want both Luke Young and SHorey for 7.5m but MON is looking for a swap deal with a midfielder (Collison, Noble, Behrami)

I'd want Behrami or Collison but not Noble who is just Mr. Average IMO

Would be no improvement on Craig Gardner

Ok then. Bentley joins as a squad player? Cover for Young, Downing and Milner?

He's far better and adaptable than Sidwell. After all, we don't have the best squad, and competition is healthy.

Bentley-Albrighton

Milner-KPB

NRC-Petrov

Young-Downing

Downing on the right is poor. His position is on the left. But Young is better.

On the right, Bentley would be far more useful than Downing.

Agree that Downing is better on the left, but Young is better.

However, i think we'll see a different Downing next season.

Anyway, if Bentley IS better than Downing on the right, hes not better by much and i wouldnt bring him in when theres other positions of more concern that need seeing to first.

If we played 3 across the middle in a 4-3-3, i wouldnt have Bentley with Milner and Petrov, wed have no ballwinner in their.

If Bentley playd in a 4-4-2, id wouldnt fancy him in our system, wed have no ballwinner again. Wed have quality on the ball in all postions, but that wouldnt be enough. I think

Claret - First of all Bentley can tackle, not a holding player but he can tackle., as does Milner. Second I agree with your synopsis to a point and see another holding player coming this summer, replacement for Petrov or not.

How's £10m and Bentley for Ash Young sound? (maybe not £10m but close)

Ok then. Bentley joins as a squad player? Cover for Young, Downing and Milner?

He's far better and adaptable than Sidwell. After all, we don't have the best squad, and competition is healthy.

Bentley-Albrighton

Milner-KPB

NRC-Petrov

Young-Downing

:) Agreed hed be a good squad player if we could afford him as a sub.

If Bentley playd in a 4-4-2, id wouldnt fancy him in our system, wed have no ballwinner again. Wed have quality on the ball in all postions, but that wouldnt be enough. I think

Claret - First of all Bentley can tackle, not a holding player but he can tackle., as does Milner. Second I agree with your synopsis to a point and see another holding player coming this summer, replacement for Petrov or not.

How's £10m and Bentley for Ash Young sound? (maybe not £10m but close)

I know Bentley can tackle, but hes not a particularly good tackler and not someone id trust with a holding midfielders job.

Theres no way id want Bentley plus £10m for Young. I still think Youngs our best player, if we lost him things may fall apart.