Jez

Don't watch German football so no idea about Haltby but if anyone knows anything about him please offer an opinion please.

am sure Holtby is an Everton fan though hasnt stopped most of the scousers who played for liverpoo in recent times ;)

Don't watch German football so no idea about Haltby but if anyone knows anything about him please offer an opinion please.
Holtby. German mother and English father; his Dad - originally from Liverpool - was part of BFG stationed at Rheindahlen, so (being only a few miles down the road) Lewis was picked up by Mönchengladbach's youth team at an early age. Some 'wichser' then made the decision to release him at the age of 14, as he was supposedly "too small and too slow to make it professionally". Sadly, I don't think the Germans have a word for "facepalm". :bang:

Holtby went to Alemannia Aachen, tore the shit out of the 2.Liga in '09 and subsequently earned a move to Schalke. He was sent out on loan to gain regular top-flight experience, first at Bochum where he was a moderate success then to Mainz where he had a barn-storming campaign. Off the back of that he forced his way into the Schalke starting line-up last season (predominantly at the expense of Jurado), notching 9 goals in all competitions along the way.

He's usually deployed centrally, supporting and supplementing the attack but can and has played across the entirety of midfield, including both wings. He's a regular for the German U-21's and has won two full international caps; a friendly against Sweden and a European Championship qualifer against Azerbaijan.

Though he would be a logical plan B target-wise after Sigurðsson, I would be a tad surprised if he wound up at Liverpool; in addition to being Schalke's second-most prized asset after Draxler, both Holtby and his Dad are life-long Evertonians. His desire to play for them at some point in his career is well-documented, and a potential move has oft been mooted (not that they'd have the cash for it, mind).

All I know of holtby is he did a brilliant insightful interview highlighting the difference between the youth policy of the german fa and ours

Said something along the lines of our fa not knowing players exist until too late and then being incredibly arrogant towards him, whereas the german fa followed him for years before approaching him and then elevating him to captain when they found out the English had come sniffing

I'd be interested to hear Platini's thoughts on PSG throwing all this money around.

He would no doubt say that PSG are only doing what is required in order to compete with the evil Premier League and that it is England's fault that PSG are having to do it in the first place :)

I'd be interested to hear Platini's thoughts on PSG throwing all this money around.

he has been very critical of them last season

Good on Michel for that then. I hope his criticism extends to Real Madrid and Barcelona.

My house mate is from Wigan. He knows nothing about this guy but says he seems a very 'Wigan' signing. Each year they seem to find a little gem who they then sell on for good money (N'Zogbia, Moses).

Well that little gem was one of the hottest properties in Scotland. Debuted at 16 and the Old Firm have been sniffing around him ever since. It was a matter of time before he left Pittodrie.

:detect:

Watford have refused to comment on speculation linking them with a move for former AC Milan and Juventus striker Filippo Inzaghi when contacted on the story by the BBC.

The Watford Observer claim the 38-year-old is due to look around the Hornets' London Colney training ground today.

No direct link. it's on their "Sportsday Live" thing here

Italian connection coming into play?