Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

Tech radar review of the galaxy s2 is up. It's as you'd expect, by far the best phone ever made in every single department and then some. If somehow any company can catch samsung from here then I'll be amazed. They've also done wonders with touchwiz 4.

I'm sure some people will tell you that a nexus s is better but it's just cognitive dissonance :D

I've never seen this level of praise in a tech radar review, can't wait to get this phone. Hope there's no delay shipping this when stock is in.

Ok i am abit confused , had a look on techradar for a review on the Galaxy Ace ( for the misses ) , they claimed that the phone doesnt support flash , yet its got Android 2.2 on it which i thought automatically supported flash , am i being thick or just stupid ?

They have disabled it due to hardware issues like some other phones. You need a powerful phone to use flash properly anyway so disabling it is a conscious decision to improve the overall browsing speed.

It's a good midrange phone., But I'd hold on and see how the new wildfire is before picking between them. My mate is looking for a midrange android phone and that's what I told him.

Also I check reviews from both gsmarena and techradar. I find between them you'll get a solid idea about a phone.

Techradar do better reviews but give worse advice. You'd be buying an ancient Desire I'd you followed their advice up until a few weeks ago. While gsmarena give sounder advice., For example the Desire S they said is just a facelift and we all know the sensation is the real sequel to the original Desire. HTCs new flagship.

So always read both.

Right just seen a Samsung Galaxy S on a contract for 18 quid a month , now my question is are all Samsung Galaxy S's now fitted with 2.2 ? Or is it a case of having to upgrade it once you've got it ?

Basically i'm looking at phones that support Flash player and arent to stupidly priced , so i'm presuming i need a phone with a decent procceser and minimum of 2.2 am i correct in thinking this ?

The galaxy s is on 2.3 and supports flash. Flash works pretty well but it's not super smooth. You'll only get that with a dual core phone.

I'd strongly advise not to sign up to an 18 mouth contract unless you get a top of the line phone. Get a 12 month one or buy the phone without a contract or a second hand one. You'll need an upgrade and want one inside 12 months.

You'll need an upgrade and want one inside 12 months.

I disagree with that.

If you get a phone that's smooth and fast to use now it'll still be smooth and fast to use in 12 months, even in 2 years.

You may get feature envy, and you might not be able to play the top of the line games after 12 months, but the features you'll be using every day will still work as they did when you took it out the box.

If you're just using a phone as a phone with some general browsing and normal app use (which is what 95% of people will do) there is zero need to stay on the top of the curve.

True, but it's been the case with all phones since the 90s, the phone doesn't stop doing what it was made to do. But people get tired of their phones and will want newer ones.

Totti I'd guess hasn't had his current phone for 18 months. Given he wants flash I'm sure he'll be envious of the dual core phones which are the only ones which can run it properly. My advice is you've no idea what you'll want in the future so best not tie yourself down to long contacts.

Yeah but you've never seen flash run on a dual core. So you have no comparison. The tech sites have tested all the phones., Simply watching a stream will be fine but say you want to flick to something else with the stream is on etc.. They test these things and you need a dual core for it in their view.

You don't think there is improvement until you see it. That's the thing with technology.

Yeah but you've never seen flash run on a dual core. So you have no comparison. The tech sites have tested all the phones., Simply watching a stream will be fine but say you want to flick to something else with the stream is on etc.. They test these things and you need a dual core for it in their view.

You don't think there is improvement until you see it. That's the thing with technology.

My desire runs flash video streams smoothly, no freezing, no judder, perfectly in sync. Pray tell how it can get any better than that?

It might be better in benchmarks, but in real world, or unless you're streaming HD video in flash (which is a waste of time on a phone screen) you're not going to notice a difference.

Ive seen flash run on the quad core processor I have on my PC mate. A 1ghz processor can comfortably run video on a 4" screen at 800 x 480.

Sounds like flash is a waste of time then according to Conor.....

Unless you have a phone that isn't out yet of course!

iPhone not so bad after all then :winkold:

But you cant change your ringtone to whatever you want on iPhone! The real reason I chose Android is so I can hear

whenever somebody calls me. :lol:

Sounds like flash is a waste of time then according to Conor.....

Unless you have a phone that isn't out yet of course!

iPhone not so bad after all then :winkold:

Haha, gotta laugh at you iphone fanboi, especially at your illiteracy and ignorance.

1. Flash is an asset, it has to start somewhere, like the first camera phone or an iphone that wasn't 3G.

2. There are three dual core phones out the last time I checked.

Now scurry along boy. :D

Anyway running a stream will be fine, flash is usable on a 1ghz phone. The point is it doesn't excel, from what I've read the grunt from dual cores let it excel. Read reviews for impartiality on the subject.

So back to my original point, I'd advice against getting an 18 month contract. From personal experience with my X10.

Â