Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

True I'm not at all sold on 3d, and thats from experiencing most iterations of it on the market currently. It's certainly not unquestionably the future whatsoever.

And 3d gaming, which theDon asserted doesn't suck, is really not the case. At the moment it either makes games far harder to play with a lot of queezyness (I recommend trying COD in 3d if you get the chance, it's horrible), or adds only a distracting gimmick that murders framerates.

It's currently a useless gimmick. And frankly I'm unsure it'll ever stop being a useless gimmick.

True I'm not at all sold on 3d, and thats from experiencing most iterations of it on the market currently. It's certainly not unquestionably the future whatsoever.

And 3d gaming, which theDon asserted doesn't suck, is really not the case. At the moment it either makes games far harder to play with a lot of queezyness (I recommend trying COD in 3d if you get the chance, it's horrible), or adds only a distracting gimmick that murders framerates.

It's currently a useless gimmick. And frankly I'm unsure it'll ever stop being a useless gimmick.

I really beg to differ.

I've played a few racing games in 3d, and they're awesome. Dirt2 for instance is amazing in 3d.

I can see that fps that aren't really designed with 3d in mind could be pretty bad, but there's plenty of games that work well in 3d, racing and rts being two of the biggies.

I think you'll find that more genres than not don't really benefit from 3d at all though. I mean you say 2 there, in a medium that has dozens of genres. I really don't see the benefit of it to either of those either, I'd file it under distracting gimmick. Less so in a racing game I guess but I would wonder if your lap times benefitted from the 3d at all, or were hindered.

I'm guessing the latter.

On a phone, with the kind of games that suuceed on a touch interface (which is a rather limited field even now), 3d smacks of desperate top end tech tagged to the top of the spec sheet to give the appearance of a useful addition to the device over it's rivals.

I think you'll find that more genres than not don't really benefit from 3d at all though. I mean you say 2 there, in a medium that has dozens of genres. I really don't see the benefit of it to either of those either, I'd file it under distracting gimmick. Less so in a racing game I guess but I would wonder if your lap times benefitted from the 3d at all, or were hindered.

I'm guessing the latter.

On a phone, with the kind of games that suuceed on a touch interface (which is a rather limited field even now), 3d smacks of desperate top end tech tagged to the top of the spec sheet to give the appearance of a useful addition to the device over it's rivals.

while 3D often doesnt add to the gameplay it can make for a more fun experience. I have a demo of MotorStorm 3D, the 3D doesnt make my lap times any quicker, its just more fun. Stuff jumps out at me, the graphics appear crisper it just gives the wow factor. I cant really argue with your points, i just know that i, and many friends really enjoy it.

while 3D often doesnt add to the gameplay it can make for a more fun experience. I have a demo of MotorStorm 3D, the 3D doesnt make my lap times any quicker, its just more fun. Stuff jumps out at me, the graphics appear crisper it just gives the wow factor. I cant really argue with your points, i just know that i, and many friends really enjoy it.

Fair enough.

I find it distracting, and positively anti-immersive, a bit too much like a piece of technology being thrown in your face (boom boom) badly.

Theres pretty much nothing positive to it in my eyes.

In a phone, I can think of few things more useless.

Fair enough.

I find it distracting, and positively anti-immersive, a bit too much like a piece of technology being thrown in your face (boom boom) badly.

Theres pretty much nothing positive to it in my eyes.

In a phone, I can think of few things more useless.

I'm in the same boat as you Chindie and have been from the start. I see no point in it.

By the way, does anyone know if there is a release date for the Galaxy S2 yet on contract?

What's so bad about touch wizz ? Yeah the lag and all that was a pain and it did crash a bit. But as an actual over lay launcher I quite like it, especially the contacts and messaging. Plus the media player is the best around.

Anyway you can probably load cabra 3.0 on pretty easily.

Have to agree that I have no interest and never will in 3D, especially movies, I can't stand them.

The stock Android launcher is great though. Why do companies insist on putting their own shitty versions on top of something so good? When I was using the HTC Hero I found the phone to be much more enjoyable after ditching HTC Sense for Launcher Pro (which is basically the stock launcher) and my only regret is I didn't switch earlier.

Nope. I got sick of waiting and just went with the Nexus S.

Well done! Have you tried CyanogenMod 7 yet?

My personal favourite combination is CM7 with ADW Launcher EX. Although still nothing can compete with how smooth that 3d drawer is.

I haven't even rooted it yet, the method I tried (superboot) didn't work. I have GRH78 (no idea what this means btw) and my phone is running 2.3.1, but when I try to boot the executable my PC simply doesnt detect the phone.

I'm perfectly happy with the stock Android ROM, but I would quite like to have a couple of the root access apps, so having it not rooted is a frustration but I am scared of bricking my phone, I am a complete novice at things like this, so I have left it for the time being.

Feel free to suggest a method that does work.

Easy. Just grab fastboot from HTC's site http://dl4.htc.com/RomCode/ADP/fastboot.exe

Download a full recovery: http://mirrorbrain.cyanogenmod.com/cm/recoveries/recovery-clockwork-3.0.0.5-crespo.img

Download a root package and put in on your SD card http://bit.ly/su2361ef

Turn the phone on holding the vol up + power button.

Type fastboot oem unlock on your computer in a command prompt. This unlocks the bootloader.

Type fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-3.0.0.5-crespo.img. This flashes a fully-featured recovery image.

Choose to go into recovery on the phone. Choose install zip from SD, and choose the root package you downloaded. This roots the existing Google GRH78 Android install.

After this, if you want to use CyanogenMod or anything else just install rom manager from the market and let it do everything for you. In there you can choose a Cyanogenmod nightly (they're fine) but you will need to let it wipe the data on the first install of a CM rom. Otherwise rooting and clockworkmod recovery are worth doing anyway.

Easy. Just grab fastboot from HTC's site http://dl4.htc.com/RomCode/ADP/fastboot.exe

Download a full recovery: http://mirrorbrain.cyanogenmod.com/cm/recoveries/recovery-clockwork-3.0.0.5-crespo.img

Download a root package and put in on your SD card http://bit.ly/su2361ef

Turn the phone on holding the vol up + power button.

Type fastboot oem unlock on your computer in a command prompt. This unlocks the bootloader.

Type fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-3.0.0.5-crespo.img. This flashes a fully-featured recovery image.

Choose to go into recovery on the phone. Choose install zip from SD, and choose the root package you downloaded. This roots the existing Google GRH78 Android install.

After this, if you want to use CyanogenMod or anything else just install rom manager from the market and let it do everything for you. In there you can choose a Cyanogenmod nightly (they're fine) but you will need to let it wipe the data on the first install of a CM rom. Otherwise rooting and clockworkmod recovery are worth doing anyway.

I'll have a crack at that later, but the first link just redirects to HTC's home page so I will need another way of finding that file. Why do I need to download a file from HTC anyway? Is it just a universal file that works with everything?

Â