Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

Contracts are cheaper in some cases.

Not for long though I'd wager. If phones like the Moto G and Nexus 5 keep getting made then the contract being cheaper argument falls down.

At the price of a N5 or Moto G there's no argument for being on contract

The only time I've calculated a contract cheaper is when you compare to the exact length of the contract. If you keep a phone just one month more or less than the contract term, it's usually more expensive to have the contract. As we see here, if you lose your phone it's a lot more more expensive.

It's the time period (lock in) that makes contracts unacceptable for me, not the price.

Ok thanks Regis. Seems to be the one to go for. As Stevo has stated Mazuma offering £160.00 for my HTC One which is only £20-£40 down on what is being asked for on Gumtree for a scuffed model. I also have a mint HTC Wildfire S boxed and in full working order so I'll check what Mazuma is offering on that and then make my decision.

Tamuff_Villa posted a link to a comparison site a page or two back that will give you better prices for your phone.

However, I've found (on closer inspection) that the high paying ones will insist the phone is in mint condition otherwise they'll heavily discount the price they're offering.

So for your mint boxed phone, I'd go with one of them. For your scuffed HTC you're probably better off with Mazuma as I'm fairly sure as long as it's working and the screen is intact, Mazuma will honour their price.

Also, CEX on the high street will offer you a price for used mobiles there and then if you pop in and show them the phone. Wouldn't take mine as there's a small crack in the bezel on my S3 so he said they could only offer non-working price (£50) so I didn't take it (and he wasn't trying to screw me, he even told me I should go for someone like Mazuma instead as I'd get a better price)

Either way, you should be able to get some cash towards your new phone.

ps yeah I'd expect the S5 to be £500 and upwards without a contract

Thanks again Stevo for the advice. Yeah the screen is intact with just a few scratches and the phone is working perfectly. I'll probably go with Mazuma as I could wait several weeks to get it sold on Gumtree and for not much more.

If I get a chance I'll post some pics tomorrow of the damage.

I'm more than a little surprised though that less than a year into my two year contract how much the HTC One has actually dropped in street price. Definitely will be my first and last two year contract as it has proven to be an expensive mistake.

If you need a phone while you run out your contract (why do people have contracts?), get the Moto G. You can buy them SIM free at Tesco and there are other deals if you want to look around on line.

Purchased a Moto G for my better half as a Christmas present Limpid and for someone who didn't like touch screen phones she loves it. So have first hand experience of the Moto G and it would be an excellent way to run down my contract but selling my HTC One and my HTC Wildfire S will leave me spending another £120-£130 to get the Nexus 5 so it's probably a toss up between those two and a red HTC One which I can buy on Gumtree for under £300 less what I get for my own HTC One and Wildfire S.

After an awful experience after upgrading my S3 to 4.3 and spending way too much money on my holiday to America, I'm thinking of just buying a Moto G and selling my S3 whenever I can find a replacement back case.

I never knew how good it was, can't believe it is so cheap!

I can tell you s26 that you won't be disappointed with the Moto G as pound for pound it is one of the best out there. Just remember there's no charger supplied with the phone but my better half has been using the charger from my Wildfire S.

I can tell you s26 that you won't be disappointed with the Moto G as pound for pound it is one of the best out there. Just remember there's no charger supplied with the phone but my better half has been using the charger from my Wildfire S.

Just don't expect anything like the n5 in any way. I did and was very disappointed. They're great for the price but I still think the n5 is better for the money.

Since upgrading to 4.3 on my S3 LTE my battery life is well and truly ruined. If I take my phone off charge at 7:30am it barely makes it past lunch, shocking to be honest. 

My only problem I guess is the lack of 4G, but I only plan on keeping a new handset until the next Google phone comes out and it would work out cheaper than buying a Nexus 5 right now. Really tempted by the reviews.

Just don't expect anything like the n5 in any way. I did and was very disappointed. They're great for the price but I still think the n5 is better for the money.

Yeah I can imagine, spent way too much money lately as it is though and the battery life is doing my nut in.

I'm more than a little surprised though that less than a year into my two year contract how much the HTC One has actually dropped in street price. Definitely will be my first and last two year contract as it has proven to be an expensive mistake.

Once you get a few better phones being released the values plummet.

I mentioned on here before, I checked in about November on Mazuma and my s3 was £180. Went back in January and it was £100

I mentioned on here before, I checked in about November on Mazuma and my s3 was £180. Went back in January and it was £100

Just goes to show that going on a two year contract should be a big no no for any phone and I've unfortunately learned the hard way as I've another year to go.

The only saving grace for me is that I'm paying £22 a month and have rarely gone above that but have just received an email from O2 stating that due to improvements on my tariff (ay right) my monthly payment is going up by 59p so any increase in my current situation is like listening to someone pulling their nails down a blackboard.

Yeah mate your probably right and although buying a Moto G is probably the most cost affective in my situation I'll probably go for the Nexus 5 or a limited edition red HTC One as they are better phones.

Just goes to show that going on a two year contract should be a big no no for any phone and I've unfortunately learned the hard way as I've another year to go.

The only saving grace for me is that I'm paying £22 a month and have rarely gone above that but have just received an email from O2 stating that due to improvements on my tariff (ay right) my monthly payment is going up by 59p so any increase in my current situation is like listening to someone pulling their nails down a blackboard.

You might want to check out your contract, may be able to cancel it

Â