Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

OK so im looking for a new phone (got a shitty samsung pixon atm) and i quite fancy the IPhone, probably the 3GS instead of 4 because i dont think the difference in price is worth it yet.

But then i stumbled upon this thread and hear all this talk of androids and gingerbread men.......

Whats the crack??

This.

In all honesty I was considering android for my next phone, but it all sounds far too complicated for a non techy person like me and nothing I couldn't do by jail breaking my iPhone.

I have a pic of my kids on homescreen, dont see how that could be any better (or worse you gingerist bastards) with android.....?

A perfect example of why you're on the right platform. iPhone is nice and simple and you like that. Good for you.

OK so im looking for a new phone (got a shitty samsung pixon atm) and i quite fancy the IPhone, probably the 3GS instead of 4 because i dont think the difference in price is worth it yet.

But then i stumbled upon this thread and hear all this talk of androids and gingerbread men.......

Whats the crack??

Whatever you do DO NOT buy a 3GS no way no how. Just do not buy a phone thats older than I am. It's almost two years old and will no longer be supported by apple in 6 months.

Anyway Android is the operating system of the phone, it's fantastic it really is and it's popularity is exploding, so don't worry about that. Also what's great is you can pick a phone to suit you. So any size screen, or a physical keyboard, you name it there is a handset to suit you. Android is so customisable, so if there is something you don't like you can go get an app to replace that function, it's open like that. You can change what you like.

So you marry the two together and you have your phone. Like you buy a PC and windows runs on it, you pick a pc you want and know windows will be on it.

As for the iPhone it's more expensive for no reason. But it's simplicity is its selling point. you get what they give you but they put a lot of time and effort into making that experience excellent. But it is one size fits all and you have to get the iPhone 4 if you are getting an iPhone.

I say again do not buy that old 3GS. Plain do not do it.

I would recommend you go buy a brand new Google Nexus S. It's the newest phone on the planet and once you see a movie play on the screen you'll be smitten.

I have a pic of my kids on homescreen, dont see how that could be any better (or worse you gingerist bastards) with android.....?

I thought they sterilized all gingers at birth to prevent them from breeding?

Whats the crack??

Whatever you do DO NOT buy a 3GS no way no how. Just do not buy a phone thats older than I am. It's almost two years old and will no longer be supported by apple in 6 months.

Anyway Android is the operating system of the phone, it's fantastic it really is and it's popularity is exploding, so don't worry about that. Also what's great is you can pick a phone to suit you. So any size screen, or a physical keyboard, you name it there is a handset to suit you. Android is so customisable, so if there is something you don't like you can go get an app to replace that function, it's open like that. You can change what you like.

So you marry the two together and you have your phone. Like you buy a PC and windows runs on it, you pick a pc you want and know windows will be on it.

As for the iPhone it's more expensive for no reason. But it's simplicity is its selling point. you get what they give you but they put a lot of time and effort into making that experience excellent. But it is one size fits all and you have to get the iPhone 4 if you are getting an iPhone.

I say again do not buy that old 3GS. Plain do not do it.

I would recommend you go buy a brand new Google Nexus S. It's the newest phone on the planet and once you see a movie play on the screen you'll be smitten.

So basically the only difference is the OS??

What about apps on the android OS? The major reason i want an iphone is for all the apps that are available - theres thousands of them if im not mistaken. Does Android have this?

Also...you say no way to getting the 3GS as it will no longer be supported by apple? How so? Im under the impression that even the original iphone is still supported by apple in terms of updates and apps.

What is the difference between iphone4 and 3gs...apart from slight difference in shape and a new camera?

What does the nexus S have that the iphone doesnt, apart from android obviously?

So many questions....

What about apps on the android OS? The major reason i want an iphone is for all the apps that are available - theres thousands of them if im not mistaken. Does Android have this?
Yes.

Also...you say no way to getting the 3GS as it will no longer be supported by apple? How so? Im under the impression that even the original iphone is still supported by apple in terms of updates and apps.
Indeed. Apple will never stop supporting any of their iPhones as far as such, but new versions of apps and the operating system will assume that people have the more powerful (ie, new) handsets. I dont think you can play most of the new games on the marketplace on an iPhone 2g or 3g for example. This will continue.

What is the difference between iphone4 and 3gs...apart from slight difference in shape and a new camera?

iPhone 4 screen resolution is literally double that of the 3gs. It's very impressive. The iPhone 3gs has 256mb of RAM, the iPhone 4 has 512mb, the iPhone 3gs has a 600hz processor, the iPhone 4 has a new processor and though its clock speed hasnt been officially released, people have figured out it runs at between 800hz and 1gig, depending on what the phone is doing. In short, the iPhone 4 is faster and more powerful in every regard. The 3gs has an antenna that actually works.

What does the nexus S have that the iphone doesnt, apart from android obviously?
Its six months newer. That's really it. Android vs iOS really is about personal choice, It's Coke vs Pepsi, its pirates vs ninjas, its cats vs dogs. Its not like one of them is good and the other is shit, you can have a lot of fun with either. You can do a lot more with Android if you dont mind **** about with it but some people dont want that which is fair enough. Android handsets and tariffs tend to be cheaper than the equivalent iPhone too, mostly because with Apple products you are paying a premium for the branding.

*edit*

Fixed annoying typo!

You've said pretty much everything I was going to say, but in fair less words :)

I should note, however, that the Nexus S is way different to the Galaxy S, contrary to popular reports. The more details emerge, the better it seems.

The Nexus S has a custom partition layout, based on SanDisk's iNAND that does away with Samsung's own moviNAND flash ROM. To force Samsung to remove their own flagship SSD and replace it with a competitor's shows that Google actually mean business with this. Also there is a custom GPS and Bluetooth antenna design, LED flash, ext4 filesystem throughout and obviously RFC. It's basically Google showing Samsung how the Galaxy S should have been made.

Mine should be here on Monday. Can't wait. :)

A perfect example of why you're on the right platform. iPhone is nice and simple and you like that. Good for you.

Whats the other option that android gives you then?

Â