Takeover parts 1 & 2

SFF

It will take an extra 5% to remove the "soft irrevocable deals" with Ellis and Petchey. But Padfield is willing, according to rumours, to top that by paying another 5%. Why is that?

It can be only one reason for that. His bid is inferior in many ways, but he is hoping an additional £4M could make the offers seem even.

I have NOT changed my mind yet. I think Lerner is the best option. And that another chapter in the "Aston Villa book of what might have been" will be written these days unless Lerner's bid is successfull.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just thinking actually. IF there bid is better for the future then why not just bid the same and see what the board think. It does seem desperate to bid an extra 10%.

Well, they need to beat the price by 5% to halt the process, but going to 10% does seem like desperation.

It can be only one reason for that. His bid is inferior in many ways, but he is hoping an additional £4M could make the offers seem even.

there is another reason

by offering £70m instead of £66m, you make the amount needed to gazzump you that much higher, you are now talking £73.05m, this would be enough to certainly blow Neville away once and for all, and would likely blow Lerner away too, I cant see him coming back and offering £10m more than his original offer. So that would leave Av06 and Still as the players left in the game.

Its like a game of poker that has reached the point where everyone shows their hands

Lerner has shown his hand first, and its a really strong one, no doubt

The other players now either fold or show a better hand

Why do you think Pat Murphy spent all day yesterday telling anyone that would listen that this wasnt over yet, not by a long way?

"We have money for transfers, up to £30million in the August window if we can get the deal done quickly enough and we are confident we can.

"But we are more than prepared to step aside if Mr Lerner can match our £30million transfer budget inside the next 17 days."

Smacks of desperation. Why would RL now divulge his transfer budget. Very unprofessional to expect otherwise knowing that he cannot do that. Desperation.

The AV06 spokesman added: "We are certainly not looking to spoil their deal just for the sake of it but we have concerns about their immediate intentions.

"We are solely interested in strengthening the team and two players now could make all the difference. As regards Lerner, so many questions remain unanswered."

And of course there are no unanswered questions on tha AV06 bid are there? Your immediate intentions are perfectly clear.

Underhand tactics these

I haven't had time to check all the posts but has anyone asked the question about how AV06 will be able to spend even one penny (let alone £30 million) on transfers, given that they could not take control until 21 days after the date that their bid is recommended?

Does the Mails source understand the rules, or is this challenge to Randy to match the £30 million expenditure in the next 16 days (when he is also unable to spend his own money until September 4th) nothing more than a wind up. It seems a strange way to do business.

All Padfield has spoken about is money for players , no offence but its gonna take more than to please me , we've still got a half finished training for a start maybe Padfield forgot to mention that

And the reason for that?

To try and get the fanbase on side.

So instead of actually meeting with the fans and opening a dialogue, as Lerner has done, they try and discredit the bolke and blackmail fans by saying "We'll spend more than him and its up to him to prove otherwise".

Desperate.

I haven't had time to check all the posts but has anyone asked the question about how AV06 will be able to spend even one penny (let alone £30 million) on transfers, given that they could not take control until 21 days after the date that their bid is recommended?

There's a ten day period bfore anyone is declared 'winner'. After that 10 days I should imagine the 'winner' will be ale to loan the club the money until completion.

So after months of waiting "for the right offer" the board have picked one.

But all that waiting means jack if someone wants "bluff" and keep raising the stakes till people who are preffered bid are priced out of the game anyway!

So after months of waiting "for the right offer" the board have picked one.

But all that waiting means jack if someone wants "bluff" and keep raising the stakes till people who are preffered bid are priced out of the game anyway!

Come on Ste, it's not that hard to understand. It doesn't matter how much AV06/Still/Neville bid, if the board feel Lerners is the one acting in the best interests of the club then he will win. I thought that's what we all wanted, the best deal for the club?

agreed rich, its semlls of desperation getting fans on side. i must say padfield seems liek a poor businessman. he has revealed to the public that he will make £30m for MON. stupid tactic, if you go for palyers now clubs can take advnatge of the fee.

i dont like the sound of these lot

"When he watches the Cleveland Browns, his NFL side, he does not sit in the directors' box - there isn't one. He does not agree with elitism and division but prefers to sit in the press box so he can be near to the supporters."

this is a great thing taht lerner offers. he is a fan, tehse lot seem like just men that want to make money. lerner wants to do BOTH.

lerner in, av06 no thanks.

Which is what people wanted to avoid by bideing their time and making the bid. They wanted the one bid to be successful and avoid all this mess.

I very seriously doubt that the AV06 bid will be accepted by the board. If they were confident that it would be then they would not be trying these desperate acts

Now forget Padfield as an individual, he's just the media front, but lets say that AV06 can put forward a deal like that, and they wont bid unless they can, then it strikes me as frankly bizarre that people would be disappointed with it. Its like people have decided its Lerner or nobody, and we dont care what anybody else has to say "we're not listening".

All i will say is that I hope Doug IS listening, because what i want from this is the best possible deal for Aston Villa inthe short, medium and long term, whether its from Lerner or someone else is largely immaterial to me. I want the best for my club, if thats randy then great, if its someone else, then thats great too.

Couldn't agree more PB. Some feel a loyalty towards Lerner and to even consider that there could be a better bid for the future of AVFC is almost like betraying Lerner. I just want whats best for AVFC and really couldn't give a monkeys who that is.

It's not about loyalty to Lerner - but there's a perfectly good offer on the table, with appears to tick all the boxes we've craving for so long - we should accept it and get on with the real business, not get distracted and greedy. And the "merger with Blues" comment smacks of being nothing but a desperate smear on Lerner, particularly given what we know if his track record in America - do we really want to do business with people who are prepared to sink so low?

No

because your bid has to not only beat the last one by 5% it has to be recommended by the board and in theory by Rothschilds

Rothschilds have recommended Lerner's bid, but it is worth noting that they have had no other bid to compare it with to this point

Av06 will not bid unless

a) they know they will have Rotshchilds backing

B) they can get an agreement with ellis and petchey like RAL have

It just makes me wonder, why does the judge need to go make front page headlines? If your bid is so good then shut up and submit it. I just think he's fighting a losing battle at least with the people that make the decisions and wants to swing public opinion to his side. Either that or he just enjoys the media attention and celebrity that would come with the ownership.