Takeover parts 1 & 2

SFF

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a piece by Daniel King in the Mail on Sunday today, where he tries very hard to link Curbishley to a takeover for Villa.

It includes this ;

"...the history of the Midlands club and the strong possibility of a change in ownership this summer might create an attractive environment for a man who had a brief spell there as a player.

One of the two groups now stalking the former European Cup winners - who will be the regions only Premiership club next season - involved individuals whose wealth would be exceeded in English football only by Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich."

Now I know its the Mail on Sunday. (and unusually for them, there was no mention of Princess Diana in the piece.) but Confuscious he say, "man drowning in canal will grab dead dog if there is slightest chance it floats."

Incidentally, if we get the second richest owners in the world, I'm not sure Curbishley is the man for the job.

Incidentally, if we get the second richest owners in the world, I'm not sure Curbishley is the man for the job.

Exactly. Curbishley is the best for the job given Cuddly is still in charge, however if there is a takeover AND money is available then imho we should be looking at a wider field certianly O'Neill, Ranieri er al

Ellis has no interest in selling. And so as far as he's concerned the best manager for the job will be the one that keeps the crap from his front door, DOL.

Exactly. Curbishley is the best for the job given Cuddly is still in charge, however if there is a takeover AND money is available then imho we should be looking at a wider field certianly O'Neill, Ranieri er al

Please see signature below.

Petchey is either sitting there waiting to asset strip it or knows he will get his money

He may get his money eventually but he's not getting any younger either Ian and I would have thought that he would want to hurry things up so he still has some time to spend it (or does he also plan to live forever)?

Maybe the Comers have the required funds but wanted to wait and see whether we would sty up before showing their hand?

No, I think they have thrown their hand in Stewiek2. However, I think it is Neville who is still in the game and I think he is just looking to secure the funds from a source other than the Comer Bros. to be able to call our chairman's bluff.

Whether those extra funds are coming from "individuals whose wealth would be exceeded in English football only by Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich" or they are new players who have just come to the table is less clear. But, I just hope something does happen soon and whether their manager is David, Alan, Martin, Sam or Sven, is something that I would be happy to leave in the hands of new owners but not in the hands of the present CEO!

Petchey is either sitting there waiting to asset strip it or knows he will get his money

He may get his money eventually but he's not getting any younger either Ian and I would have thought that he would want to hurry things up so he still has some time to spend it (or does he also plan to live forever)?

His investment in AVFC PLC represents about 1% of his wealth. Not his most pressing concern compared to the other deals he has been pulling off recently.

Maybe the Comers have the required funds but wanted to wait and see whether we would sty up before showing their hand?

No, I think they have thrown their hand in Stewiek2. However, I think it is Neville who is still in the game and I think he is just looking to secure the funds from a source other than the Comer Bros. to be able to call our chairman's bluff.

Whether those extra funds are coming from "individuals whose wealth would be exceeded in English football only by Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich" or they are new players who have just come to the table is less clear. But, I just hope something does happen soon and whether their manager is David, Alan, Martin, Sam or Sven, is something that I would be happy to leave in the hands of new owners but not in the hands of the present CEO!

In two years, one bid, and that was dismissed by Ellis as undervaluing the club despite it being 50+% above the market price.

[edited] deleted muppet ramblings and remembered that alcohol takes a long long time to get out of the system. [/edited]

Surely being the only club from the region in the premiership for next year now makes us a more attractive proposition for any prospective purchaser.

Any board/management with half a brain could see that with a bit of decent marketing there is a real opportunity to generate a lot more interest in Aston Villa next season without having to compete in the spot light with our neighbours. A board with ambition should be able to make a killing out of this and ensure we remain in premiership and well above the likes of Birmingham City, West Brom and Wolves for many years to come.

Surely if Rothschilds are looking for buyers they must be pushing this angle.

Someone please buy Ellis out!

But Ellis is asking too much, far far too much, its not even a viable ask for someone like Abromovich

Why would anyone want to spend such monies, just to line a shareholders pockets.

He's had offers that include hi putting money back and he's flatly refused.

Is that a man with Villa at heart.

If he is really so concerned for the club that he wants to ensure new owners have enough money for transfers why doesn't he take what the club, his shares, are really worth under his managership, and ask the rest of the money he has asked for is provided as a fund for transfers.

Now that would be a gesture of a real Villa man

that would be a gesture of a real Villa man

He may be the self proclaimed "Mr Aston Villa" but I would never associate him with the term "real Villa man". How about selling the club (as you suggest for the going rate) and giving the balance between what he paid for the shares and his profit on selling them to the club as a summer transfer window spending fund or on his death leaving the bulk of his estate to the club in trust as Jack Walker did? Sadly neither of these are going to happen either as he has no interest in buying respect from the men of the terraces for whom he has none.

Now I know its the Mail on Sunday. (and unusually for them, there was no mention of Princess Diana in the piece.).

Sorry to nitpick, but thats the Express. The Mail's biggest concern would be whether the new owners were asylum seekers, gypsys, terrorists, gay, or on the Atkins diet.

Now I know its the Mail on Sunday. (and unusually for them, there was no mention of Princess Diana in the piece.).

Sorry to nitpick, but thats the Express. The Mail's biggest concern would be whether the new owners were asylum seekers, gypsys, terrorists, gay, or on the Atkins diet.

So that's a consortium featuring Makosi from BB, Robbie Savage,Osama Bin Laden, Tom Cruise and Carol Vordermann!

Seriously, someone whose funds are only bettered by Abramovich wouldn't employ Curbishley. They'd set their sights much much higher. Even Martin O'Neill I guess would be mid list. We're talking the likes of Hitzfeld, Eriksson. BIG names in the world game. Of course it all depends on who the CEO would be.

Seriously, someone whose funds are only bettered by Abramovich wouldn't employ Curbishley. They'd set their sights much much higher.

And would they want to buy us or set their sights much higher? We can but hope but we have been let down so often it sounds much too good to be true.

I think this thread will still be running this time next year unless the grim reaper comes knocking for doug thats the only way we will get new owners.

If i was a potential buyer i would have waited to see if Villa were going to stay in the prem or not ..if we had gone down then they could have got the club for a far far cheaper price ...now that Premiership football is secure I expect a few more people will take a look at us ....

Sunderland lucky buggars aren't they? orst team in football sorry premiership history, 40m in debt but they now get Niall Quinn coming to the rescue promising to plough millions into the cause. :evil:

Has taken 9 months in discussion with another 3 months for due dillegence though.

Sunderland lucky buggars aren't they? orst team in football sorry premiership history, 40m in debt but they now get Niall Quinn coming to the rescue promising to plough millions into the cause. :evil:

Has taken 9 months in discussion with another 3 months for due dillegence though.

Given the choice of Ellis or Niall Quinn, I'd have to think long and hard about my decision... Quinn may be a knight in shining armour to the mackems, but his ego puts Ellis to shame. And having McManus and/or Magnier in the background is no guarantee of immediate riches. Remember how they were prepared to f**k over Man Utd over a personal grudge?