Takeover parts 1 & 2

SFF

It's not my business what other people choose to do. But it seems strange to complain about the club's lack of funds for players, while not attending games. The club need the money.

If 5000 don't go for 19 home games, that's around £2.5m lost. As an example.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not my business what other people choose to do. But it seems strange to complain about the club's lack of funds for players, while not attending games. The club need the money.

Last season was one of our best in terms of average attendances and yet we still had/have feck all money to spend on players.

That's the biggest problem with trying to sum up what's wrong at VP- there's no logic behind it.

A couple of my mates won't go to Villa while Ellis is there. I really don't get it.

If you can't afford to go. Don't go. Fair enough.

If you don't like the football. Don't go. Fair enough.

Not going because you don't like the chairman is a bit strange in my opinion. And since Ellis couldn't really give a toss, the only people that lose out are the ones not going.

Well said Gizmo. I liken being a Villa fan to being married. You stick with your missus through thick and thin. You don't do a runner if some more seductive bird (eg Chelsea) suddenly looks appealling. Its exactly the same with the Villa - you have to keep going regardless. You can't just not turn up because things are not going your way. Its in the blood. Its passion. Its love. Its what being a fan (shortened term for 'fanatic') is all about.

is that right is it??

how many of us that have admitted we refuse to go while ellis is still here are now chelsea fans then?

i resent the fact that you claim that we dont go because "things arent going our way"...

thats not it at all...

i also resent the fact that you are insinuating that because im depriving myself of something i love in the hope of making a difference, that villa is not in my blood, im not passionate and i dont love my club...

nothing could be further from the truth...

the stance we choose to take of self sacrifice for the greater good, even if its only a small impact on my individual part, is in the hope that things will change for the better...

if thats damaging short term but makes our long term future better, then thats the cross we have to bare....

Well said Gizmo. I liken being a Villa fan to being married. You stick with your missus through thick and thin. You don't do a runner if some more seductive bird (eg Chelsea) suddenly looks appealling. Its exactly the same with the Villa - you have to keep going regardless. You can't just not turn up because things are not going your way. Its in the blood. Its passion. Its love. Its what being a fan (shortened term for 'fanatic') is all about.

No you don't. If your missus runs off with the local butcher or baker or candle stick maker, or more succinctly if she is making your life hell and ruining you with her excess, you sort her out.

If that means leaving the marital bed or forcing the issue to resolve the situation which eventually leads to a divorce so be it, life goes on and you hopefully do better next time.

You don't sit around, take all the abuse and smile sweetly, because one day she'll make the decision for you and you will be seen as a weak willed wimp willing to take all the shit without complaint who ends up a bitter lonely man crying that the world hates him.

the stance we choose to take of self sacrifice for the greater good, even if its only a small impact on my individual part, is in the hope that things will change for the better...

if thats damaging short term but makes our long term future better, then thats the cross we have to bare....

How noble the Villa Park martyrs are. How enlightened that they can see what us 'normal' Villa fans cannot.

Did your boycott mean you didn't go to Rotterdam? Did it mean you didn't got to Wembley for the FA Cup final or League Cup finals in the 90's/00? Thought not.

That's the biggest problem with trying to sum up what's wrong at VP- there's no logic behind it.

Over the years even when the attendences were high and the money was rolling in we still don't get the team we want and we still dont win F all. It does not matter what we do as fans to support the club it is never enough for them to provide us with a good team that can win anything with Ellis in charge.

How noble the Villa Park martyrs are. How enlightened that they can see what us 'normal' Villa fans cannot.

Did your boycott mean you didn't go to Rotterdam? Did it mean you didn't got to Wembley for the FA Cup final or League Cup finals in the 90's/00? Thought not.

At least we were comparable with our opponents in those days, though, Dave. If we get to this year's Cup Final against Chelsea, who will have as much hope as they did in 2000?

And that's the thing- we're devoid of hope under Ellis and as such there are 4 reasons why I dont go to Villa Park-

1) I live in Germany (so the other 3 are based on when I'm at home)

2) I want to make a stand so Ellis knows, as a fan, I'm not going to put up with this crap and pretend everything's ok.

3) I'm a customer, but I do love the club. As a customer, I'm not going to pay to watch us get over run by Man Ure, as a fan I'm not prepared to turn up for a game we've got no chance of even competing in. Both things hurt.

4) One of my contacts isnt at VP any more so I dont get free prawn sandwiches when I go ;)

You could well question whether I'm a good fan based on the fact that, this Christmas, I didnt go to any of the games whilst I was in the country. I would counter that argument by saying that I listen to every game over the internet and jump for joy and shake my fists as much as if I was in the Holte.

I'm still a fan, I just show it in a different way.

Is this conversation now going off topic? Maybe, but it still relates to the original topic because if Ellis were to go, I'd be back at VP. As such, I'm taking my stand to help get him out, because I miss my football.

And please, stop all the talk of martyrs and normal fans, or whatever. You wont win any points with it.

ICBrum has yet another story today that says bid is at crucial stage and next 72 hours are make and break ..and that despite rumours the deal is not dead ...

maybe a signing in the Jan window after all

Now I don't want Doug to flog us to the first person that comes along with enough cash, but why must everything he does be painfully protracted?

The Chelsea and Pompey take-overs went through in a couple of weeks at the most.

Didnt stop us going to the 1957 FA cup final either??????????

I am sure different people stopped going at different times.

Some people will have made a concious decision not to go any more. They will have decided enough is enough and made a vow not to step inside Villa Park till he is gone. For others the decision may have been less concious. If the kids arent clammering to go then you might not bother. If a couple of your mates stop going it might not be the occassion it once was, not worth the dough.

You cannot blame stayaway fans for the club being short of money, the blame lies with the executive. They 'manage' the club, they create and invigorate revenue streams.

Its not the ones that are refusing to go to Villa Park that are killing the club, its the ONE that is refusing to leave.

Did your boycott mean you didn't go to Rotterdam?

No, you see Ellis wasn't in charge then

ANd if the club was marketed properly or was sufficiently attractive enough then there would be no need to worry about the 5000 you mention who don't go. There would be 20,000 waiting to replace them.

Do you think our fan base is restricted to the amount of people we can get into the ground?

ANd if the club was marketed properly

A bit of marketing could have been a big, easy and relatively cheap win for us over the last 10 years, but for some bizarre reason Ellis maintained a strategy of talking us down.

It was probably some flawed logic around the benefits of lowering our expectations and reputation, such as:

1 - Spend less on players

2 - Lower quality players = lower wages

3 - We'd be grateful for any small victory

4 - He could tell us which players he was after to sell a few extra season tickets, safe in the knowledge that they would turn us down

Guest RantinRob

Its not the ones that are refusing to go to Villa Park that are killing the club, its the ONE that is refusing to leave.

I LIKE that

:clap::clap::clap: