The iPhone Topic

mrchnry

but glaring omission, is like something they forgot to put in. I take it mms, copy and paste, live wall papers etc.. are all in the iPhone 4 though yeah?

That suggests you thought it was a glaring omission.

Apologies if i misunderstood.

Apologies maybe my choice of wording wasn't so great with the 'glaring omissions' comment. Yep basically I meant things like the mms, and copy&paste issues of the past...I take it there are no more shocks like this any more then now that it's the 4th generation?

Knew the android thing would crop up haha...did some reading up on them beforehand and on first glance they're not for me. I primarily want a phone that looks good and is easy to use as the N97 got on my nerves previously. Can't really be arsed with the fact if you opt for Android you then have to shop around and choose which handset is right for you... It does sound a good platform though at first glance but right now I thought I might as well find out what all the iphone fuss is about...if i don't like it I can always send it back or better still sell for some £££'s.

The ease of use is a myth, if you check out the Android Apple discussion thread you'll find someone who had an Android phone and now has an iPhone 4. His experience is that Android is easier to use. Anyway, these myths and ignorance about the Android platform will change with time. But the iPhone 4 is a big step up from the N97, Smartphones are the future.

I'd be interested to hear in a bit more detail why you though Android wasn't for you. If you'd pop over to the Android Apple discussion thread. Cheers.

Would anybody recommend the Tom Tom app?

I'm going to have some long journeys in the coming weeks so a sat nav would be useful. I've heard mixed reviews on the app so I can't decide whether to download the app or purchase a proper sat nav.

I already have an in car charger so my battery being drained wont be an issue. Are there any thoughts from anybody on here who has used the app?

New jailbreak is available at jailbreakme.com if anyone wants to jailbreak their iPhone. Id get in there quick before Apple shut it down

They can't, US court found that jailbreaking is legal. Apple can't do squat about it.

Yeah, it was deemed "fair use" in the Digital Millennium Copyright Act review last week.

U.S. copyright office"]The Librarian of Congress has announced the classes of works subject to the exemption from the prohibition against circumvention of technological measures that control access to copyrighted works. Persons making noninfringing uses of the following six classes of works will not be subject to the prohibition against circumventing access controls (17 U.S.C. § 1201(a)(1)) until the conclusion of the next rulemaking.

(2) Computer programs that enable wireless telephone handsets to execute software applications, where circumvention is accomplished for the sole purpose of enabling interoperability of such applications, when they have been lawfully obtained, with computer programs on the telephone handset.

I've snipped 1, 3, 4, 5 & 6 as they are not relevant here, but you can see the direct quote if you click the link. There are loads of articles on what it actually means, this is just one of them. Obviously jailbreaking will still void your warranty but it is legal to do it now.

I'm going to have some long journeys in the coming weeks so a sat nav would be useful. I've heard mixed reviews on the app so I can't decide whether to download the app or purchase a proper sat nav.

I already have an in car charger so my battery being drained wont be an issue. Are there any thoughts from anybody on here who has used the app?

I use the copilot app and its fantastic and cheaper than the tom tom app it does drain the battery but if you have a in car charger then you wont have a problem, havent had a problem with the app its kept up to date and there are extras to download which are cheaper than tom tom

I'm looking at an iPhone 4 for £209 up front and £30 a month for the next 18 months on O2. Is it worth it?

What phone do you have at the moment?

The iPhone 4 is great, but I will admit that £200 up front is steep.

If this is your first smartphone then I'd say go for it, it's a cracking phone.

I'd speak to them either in a shop or on the phone and tell them another network has offered to sell it to you for less (up to you how low you go. Try £100) so you're gonna go with them.

MIght work, might not. usually they'll knock something off the price to get you to go with them.

dab I'd suggest you have a look at the Android phone Samsung Galaxy S, it's superior to the iPhone 4 in many ways and is cheaper. If it's your first smartphone I'd highly advise this phone. It's astoundingly good.

Pop over here and we can explain the advantages and disadvantages of Android and Apple phones.

I use the copilot app and its fantastic and cheaper than the tom tom app it does drain the battery but if you have a in car charger then you wont have a problem, havent had a problem with the app its kept up to date and there are extras to download which are cheaper than tom tom

Yeah, I have the CoPilot app installed on my Android phone and its great. It has all the usual stuff you would expect from a sat nav (ie, it warns you when you are near speed cameras, you can set it to bleep if you go over the limit by a given speed) and its significantly cheaper than Tom Tom.

Â