The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

I think Clev won it, but not by that margin.

I'd say a draw or Clev by 1 or 2, depending on what you were looking for. I just can't see how you can have watched that fight and score it that wide. It's ridiculous.

Bellew is saying that after rewatching the fight 3 times he feels he won 6 rounds, and was generous in giving Cleverly the close ones as he was the champ.

Can't say I disagree with him really. I'd love judges to have to justify their scoring, I just can't see how anyone could get 117-112 out of that fight.

Looking forward to the inevitable rematch though. Dunno if it'll have the same feel to it though without that build up.

It's just the way boxing goes though isn't it, it may not be rite but it's just the same as in football when a little team goes to old Trafford the big decisions will always go the way of the bigger team.

I doubt if there will be a rematch any time soon cleverly sounded like he was trying to duck the question and suggested that he wanted to move onto bigger fights

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like the WBC have overruled the referees decision and changed the Hopkins - Dawson result to a technical draw.

For those who were doubting the extent of Hopkins injury it ends up that he dislocated his shoulder.

Means that B HOP has got the bel back, no news of the WBC ordering a re-match or anything

Sounds like the WBC have overruled the referees decision and changed the Hopkins - Dawson result to a technical draw.

For those who were doubting the extent of Hopkins injury it ends up that he dislocated his shoulder.

Means that B HOP has got the bel back, no news of the WBC ordering a re-match or anything

Rightly so as well. Hopefully the Commission follow suit at their next meeting. I'm not sure the rematch will happen purely because of a lack of public demand.

• 2 weeks later...

yup i'll be watching friday nights stuff live but ive gotta go round to my sisters on saturday so I will haveto catch up on that when I get back a few hours after it starts and i'll be watching sundays providing its on sky sports 1

isnt groves vs smith on saturday on boxnation as well?

yup i'll be watching friday nights stuff live but ive gotta go round to my sisters on saturday so I will haveto catch up on that when I get back a few hours after it starts and i'll be watching sundays providing its on sky sports 1

isnt groves vs smith on saturday on boxnation as well?

Yeah, Groves vs Smith is the chief support. I think that's quite clever matchmaking by Warren from a DeGale point of view. It's a little bit lose-lose for Groves in that even if he stops Smith he's only repeating DeGale's feat.

The Angulo card is on Sky Sports 4 unfortunately.

I dont know to be honest because as much as I think DeGale is overated I think that Groves leaves a lot to be desired as well.

He put on a really good fight against DeGale and had it tactically spot on but I dont think his level is much higher than that so they need to be careful who they put him in with to keep him from losing or looking very average

cant wait for the Burns vs Katsidis fight though, always rated Katsidis purely because he is a warrior and only knows one way of fighting, I would love to see him win on satday and I think he will if he can drag burns into a war.

even though Marquez absolutely destroyed him in his last fight the ref didn't help Katsidis at all, if I remember correctly he deducted two points for two (pretty weak) low blows without giving any previous warnings about them so Katsidis had to change his game plan again which was a shame as it was the first time he looked like he was getting any where then Marquez blatently touched the canvas with his glove after taking a punch and the ref didnt give it as a knockdown, Dont get me wrong Katsidis was losing from the first round but I hate it when ref's make it even more one sided than it had to be

I dont know to be honest because as much as I think DeGale is overated I think that Groves leaves a lot to be desired as well.

He put on a really good fight against DeGale and had it tactically spot on but I dont think his level is much higher than that so they need to be careful who they put him in with to keep him from losing or looking very average

cant wait for the Burns vs Katsidis fight though, always rated Katsidis purely because he is a warrior and only knows one way of fighting, I would love to see him win on satday and I think he will if he can drag burns into a war.

even though Marquez absolutely destroyed him in his last fight the ref didn't help Katsidis at all, if I remember correctly he deducted two points for two (pretty weak) low blows without giving any previous warnings about them so Katsidis had to change his game plan again which was a shame as it was the first time he looked like he was getting any where then Marquez blatently touched the canvas with his glove after taking a punch and the ref didnt give it as a knockdown, Dont get me wrong Katsidis was losing from the first round but I hate it when ref's make it even more one sided than it had to be

I agree with you on Groves. The gap between the likes of himself and Degale, and the elite of that division is enormous, but fortunately for them they've got a bit of time on their side. The thing that separated him from DeGale on the night was mainly just his superior preperation. Had DeGale been trained by the Dark Lord I think that he would have won. He needs to get away from Jim McDonnell ASAP.

You're thinking of the Guerrero fight mate. Yeah the ref Russell Mora (same ref who allowed Mares to repeatably smash Agbeko in the bollocks recently) deducted points for low blows with no warnings and then after that started warning him for body shots. This came when the tide looked like it might be turning but he couldn't because he was unable to hit the body without being DQ'd. He should have definitely had a knockdown to his name in the 2nd as well when Guerrero touched down. I do wonder how Burns will cope if caught by a monstrous left hook like that one or the one that put Marquez down and onto queer street.

I was thinking that Burns might be able to do it earlier in the week but after rewatching his fight with Martinez I don't think he will. I see Katsidis getting to him a little bit too easily and pushing him back. Once he's pushed back he's going to be in real trouble and will probably get stopped at some point.

Â