The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Ward may well beat Froch again and comfortably, but to talk about it in definite terms is crazy in my opinion. Froch is a top class fighter, certainly top 5. I don't think that is deniable. On the night? Well who knows.

Froch can bang. There's no way Ward will get him out either, so the lad clearly has a chance.

Yep, pretty much agree with all of that.

Ward may well beat Froch again and comfortably, but to talk about it in definite terms is crazy in my opinion. Froch is a top class fighter, certainly top 5. I don't think that is deniable. On the night? Well who knows.

Froch can bang. There's no way Ward will get him out either, so the lad clearly has a chance.

Froch is an accumulation puncher and not a one hitter quitter. He simply won't land enough on Ward to hurt him over the course of the fight and Ward has a good chin so will be more than able to take the odd shot that does land. 

Again, he's just too good for Froch, he'll beat him comfortably. Froch is indeed a top class fighter and the second best in his division, you could make an argument for him being top 15 pound for pound in the sport as well but he is not on Wards level at all.

Mayweather Canelo has been announced at a 152lb catchweight, all straps on the line.

I must laugh at the catchweight though, Floyd fights Cotto at 154lbs for his belt but wants to disadvantage Canelo. Floyd used to complain about Pacquiao fighting catchweights, bringing Cotto down to 145lbs for their 147lb fight, but does the same.

I hope Canelo rehydrates to 170 odd lbs and knocks Floyd out, I'm fed up of him.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

I just come on here to post that Dr P

Cant wait for it, I really hope Alvarez gets the win here, as you know I am a big fan of his.

It'll be difficult for his but he is the only challenger for Floyd at the moment, I know people have pointed to his record but I think he proved that he is ready for a step up when he fought Trout.

Going to be a mega fight COME ON CANELO

Nope, nothing on tonight.

Next week is good though with Maidana vs Lopez (will be an absolute war), Angulo vs Lara, Marco Huck vs Ola Afolabi and Chad Dawson vs Adonis Stevenson. Oh and I think Gamboa is fighting his first fight at lightweight.

Well, great night tonight. Maidana vs Lopez, Dawson vs Stevenson, Huck vs Alofabi and Angulo vs Lara are all intriguing fights in their own right and a lot of high quality boxers on show.

My picks are Maidana (late TKO), Dawson (late TKO), Alofabi (points) and Lara (points). But definitely room for upsets with Lopez being a very tough boxer, Stevenson being a huge puncher and Angulo being a very big puncher as well.

Having looked like shit in his last couple of fights Huck really looked a lot sharper to tonight, I felt he did enough to win that, it was a good fight, Ola had his moments but Huck landed the better punches throughout.

Of the channel 5 lot, Cousin Fury knocked an old fat man over, Galahad won, Eubank Jr brought the usual entertainment and won and Degale's opponent gave up at the end of the fifth.

I'm not massively convinced by any of them, Degale in particular - but I do love watching Eubank Jr fight.

Gutted for Chad as I am a fan but Stevenson has extreme power, he's one of those guys who you have to weather for the early rounds or catch him big on the way in to stop him. Chad has a great jab and I thought he could use that to keep Stevenson off of him but obviously he couldn't.

That KO punch was special, absolutely picture perfect technique, he threw it very short and very hard, it would have KO'd most. The good thing about this is that Bellew will get starched by this guy. Chad I fear is finished.

Interesting because Stevenson was in line to fight Froch, would have been an interesting fight, Stevenson is a little chinny but boy that power is something, enough to wipe Froch out IMO.

Also Maidana - Lopez was a hell of a fight, worth watching and my boy Maidana came through with the TKO.

Gamboa stunk out the joint as usual and I'm just getting round to watching Angulo - Lara.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Â