The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Aye, it was clearly a trip. Missed the first round as I was watching us on MotD, but I'd give Groves the 11 rounds I did see. Easy win against a shot fighter, Groves remains an interesting prospect. As Rawling said in the commentary though, he is a million miles from being ready for the likes of Carl Froch.

Khan wins with a 10th round stoppage then after totally outclassing Molina. Looks likely he will now have a rematch with Garcia and on this showing I'd back him to avenge that defeat. I'm no fan of Khan but he looked good tonight. However he is always one decent shot away from being put on his backside.

Groves v Johnson went pretty much as I expected it would, did anyone see the Billy Jo Saunders fight? I was a bit pissed but I am sure he won it pretty comfortably on points even though he didn't look as good as he has in the past

just put on the khan fight from last night and that is going pretty much as I thought it would, Khan looks better but I think this fight was perfect for him Molina doesn't have the power to worry Khan so he can afford to stand off and box sensibly, he has still been caught a few times and if he was in with a big puncher he would be in trouble.

Is that Alvarez that I see watching from ringside as well?

Khan wins with a 10th round stoppage then after totally outclassing Molina. Looks likely he will now have a rematch with Garcia and on this showing I'd back him avenge that defeat. I'm no fan of Khan but he looked good tonight. However he is always one decent shot away from being put on his backside.

The problem is that Molina is a nobody and a blown up lightweight so although Khan looked good I think that has to be scaled to the level of opposition. I didn't see anything in that to suggest he'll beat Garcia. Khan took some flush counter shots against Molina, if that was Garcia Khan would have been really hurt.

I still think Garcia stops Khan in a rematch, to be honest.

Donaire absolutely super impressive against Arce, great stoppage, what a boxer.

I'm no fan of Alvarez but that would be a huge risk for Floyd. Alvarez has a lot of power, especially against welterweights (and we all know Alvarez loves to fight either average junior middleweights or blown up welterweights). Floyd is past his best- he has lost some of his reflexes and doesn't have the head movement he once had. It's easier to hit Mayweather now than it has ever been, as his last three fights have shown.

I could see Mayweather getting caught and stopped in that one, Alvarez could punish him to the body and land with power to the top of Mayweather's head. Ageing greats tend to get stopped by those sorts of shots.

That said Mayweather still has all the tools to beat Alvarez on points. It would be an interesting fight. I also heard Mayweather is considering Robert Guerrero.

Why are you no fan of alvarez Dr P? I know he has an extremely padded record but i think he looks the business, and has the potential to go far. I always make a point of watching him when he is fighting, probably my fave fighter around at the moment

David Price is to fight Tony Thompson on 23rd February

who is Tony Thompson

Why are you no fan of alvarez Dr P? I know he has an extremely padded record but i think he looks the business, and has the potential to go far. I always make a point of watching him when he is fighting, probably my fave fighter around at the moment

David Price is to fight Tony Thompson on 23rd February

who is Tony Thompson

Basically I'm not a fan because of his record. If you look at it he has only ever fought at best B level junior middleweights, he has not fought the top guys in his own division. The rest of his recent opponents included a blown up, over the hill welterweight in Shane Mosley and a career junior welterweight in Josesito Lopez.

I just can't be a fan of someone that has fought such a substandard at best level of competition yet is a world champion and so 'highly' rated by the press. That's not to say that I don't believe he's talented. I think he is talented and has very good power, but he needs to step it to top level competition.

Price vs Thompson is actually a good fight for Price. Thompson has been in the ring with Wladimir Klitschko twice, losing both by KO, he nearly went the distance in the first fight but the second didn't go that far. He has a funny habit of going to sleep on his arm when he's knocked out LOL. The point is that the guy has been in with the divisions best, did OK in the first fight and is unbeaten against decent level competition in his other fights. He is 41 but turned pro at something like 29-30 so not a huge amount of miles on the clock.

This fight is going to be made because of Fury's win over former 'world level' boxer Kevin Johnson. Price really does have to have a win against someone comparable as the perception is that Fury is eclipsing him. The other reason is that heavyweight boxing seems to think that the 'triangle theory' is a legitimate way to decide world title challengers. For example, 'if Wladimir can KO Thompson in 6 rounds, and Price can KO him in 4, then Price will have a good chance against Wlad'.

Thompson is tall and has decent skill, if he can get on Price's inside he can give him problems. It would be Price's biggest test yet and potentially an interesting fight.

Basically I'm not a fan because of his record. If you look at it he has only ever fought at best B level junior middleweights, he has not fought the top guys in his own division. The rest of his recent opponents included a blown up, over the hill welterweight in Shane Mosley and a career junior welterweight in Josesito Lopez.

I just can't be a fan of someone that has fought such a substandard at best level of competition yet is a world champion and so 'highly' rated by the press. That's not to say that I don't believe he's talented. I think he is talented and has very good power, but he needs to step it to top level competition.

Price vs Thompson is actually a good fight for Price. Thompson has been in the ring with Wladimir Klitschko twice, losing both by KO, he nearly went the distance in the first fight but the second didn't go that far. He has a funny habit of going to sleep on his arm when he's knocked out LOL. The point is that the guy has been in with the divisions best, did OK in the first fight and is unbeaten against decent level competition in his other fights. He is 41 but turned pro at something like 29-30 so not a huge amount of miles on the clock.

This fight is going to be made because of Fury's win over former 'world level' boxer Kevin Johnson. Price really does have to have a win against someone comparable as the perception is that Fury is eclipsing him. The other reason is that heavyweight boxing seems to think that the 'triangle theory' is a legitimate way to decide world title challengers. For example, 'if Wladimir can KO Thompson in 6 rounds, and Price can KO him in 4, then Price will have a good chance against Wlad'.

Thompson is tall and has decent skill, if he can get on Price's inside he can give him problems. It would be Price's biggest test yet and potentially an interesting fight.

Yeah as I say his record is massively padded but at the same time he is only 22 so he has plenty of time to move it up a level and it looks like he is ready to do this if you listen to the noises he is making,

You say that you cant be a fan of someone who has fought such substandard competition but I disagree if you can see the talent in there then it is great to follow someone from such an early point of their career.

If what you are saying about this Thompson is right then it will be interesting as you mentioned earlier even though Price destroyed Skelton in 2 rounds he did look like he was getting to him on the inside

Yeah as I say his record is massively padded but at the same time he is only 22 so he has plenty of time to move it up a level and it looks like he is ready to do this if you listen to the noises he is making,

You say that you cant be a fan of someone who has fought such substandard competition but I disagree if you can see the talent in there then it is great to follow someone from such an early point of their career.

If what you are saying about this Thompson is right then it will be interesting as you mentioned earlier even though Price destroyed Skelton in 2 rounds he did look like he was getting to him on the inside

Fair point on Alvarez, I really like Gennady Golovkin but he hasn't fought anyone more than B in the middleweight division. I guess the issue is hype, I just don't like fighters that I think are over hyped, which is why I have a critical stance on a lot of British fighters. Like I say, I think Canelo has talent and great power but I just personally won't be on board until I see him against top level competition. I'm not hating on him just sceptical and will be until I see him come through a real test.

As far as Price is concerned think his lack of inside game could be his undoing, but luckily for him, if he gets a shot at Wladimir, Wlad doesn't really have great inside game.

to be honest I dont really see the hype, I watch the boxing when its on telly and they bullshit up every fighter regardless of who it is as long as they are on their bill, and I watch bunce's boxing hour which is really aimed at local fighters and I read this thread and thats it I dont really see or read any other boxing which leaves me free to make my own judgement on fighters

wouldn't know where to look to find the hype outside of the telly to be honest

Well perhaps the last interesting fight of the year is tonight with Tomasz Adamek vs Steve Cunningham.

It's interesting because Adamek is a pretty solid heavyweight, ring magazine rate him at number 3, but it's clear that he's just too small for modern day heavyweight boxing. That said, he's a 'great' in his own right given he was WBC light heavyweight champ and then basically the lineal Cruiserweight champion.

Cunningham is another who has stepped up from Cruiser to Heavyweight, this is his second fight there. Cunningham was a very good crusier, fast hands and skilful but did have chin issues at the weight. He lost to Adamek in an excellent fight, it was very close but Adamek managed to knock him down 3 times and that was just about the difference.

Anyway, should be a good one tonight and I'll be rooting for Cunningham. If he had a chin I think his skills would take him far in the heavyweight division....

gotta admit that I didn't even know there was a fight tonight

heavyweight boxing is dour and needs a massive shakeup, I struggle to think that there is such a lack of quality out there that the only heavyweight fight out there that the majority of casual boxing fans want is Price and Fury.

What are your thoughts Dr P, could the division explode into life when the brothers finally call it a day? I honestly dont know because I haven't paid much attention to the division for a fair few years now.

Â