The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Crawfords jab was so destructive, think he could have finished it earlier but chose to play it safe/ showboat. Spence needed a fight before he went in Crawford,  it was to much of gap between his last fight. 

Crawford is a bit special though.  

I wonder how much effect Crawford boxing as a Southy had on the fight? Obviously did their homework and saw something in Spences makeup to exploit

Edited by Follyfoot

6 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

I wonder how much effect Crawford boxing as a Southy had on the fight? Obviously did their homework and saw something in Spences makeup to exploit

He had no answer to the right jab that's for sure, power of it shook him from the off. 

That's as near to perfection as you can get. The only other undisputed fight that I've witnessed with such dominance from one fighter was when Donald Curry dismantled Milton McCrory in three rounds. Crawford kind of reminds me of a peak Don Curry, such precision and hardly wastes a punch. Spence showed a lot of heart, but that's all he showed. 

Jason Boots Ennis and Virgil Ortiz Jr are the two up and coming hottest welterweights. It will be interesting where Crawford goes from here, hard to believe he's 36.

19 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Crawford switches to southpaw all the time during fights. It his ability to switch hit and have power in both hands that sets him apart. Add on his exceptional defensive skills rolling and smothering everything Spence did tonight. It was a masterclass performance. 

Just an amazing performance from Crawford. 

• Like 1

On 27/07/2023 at 23:38, sheepyvillian said:

Spence by TKO between 10 and 12. Never seen a fighter so overrated as Crawford. Who has he fought in their prime? Spence will be too strong ,and for me, looks the more confident in his self - belief. 

Spoiler

Still think he is over rated?

Admit you were wrong on that as it was a absolute master class from Crawford.  He beat up spence BAD

Spence took a beatdown credit to him but Crawford is special and just on another level

Whats interwsting is spence wants rematch i think he said at 157. The result could be different at that weight as crawfords speed might take a hit

Edited by Demitri_C

On 27/07/2023 at 23:43, tinker said:

Spencer looked to be getting better and better fight after fight but he hasn't fought now for 16 months.

Crawford has been at a high level for such a long time, it's a tough one but Crawford for me, stoppage as well, can't see it going the distance whoever wins. 

On 28/07/2023 at 00:28, Demitri_C said:

Wow your going for a Crawford stoppage?! I would love to see it but i cant.

Dont think errol spence has ever been on the floor let alone let alone stopped.  Cant see it 

He wasn't the only one not to see it all unfold 😆

31 minutes ago, tinker said:

He wasn't the only one not to see it all unfold 😆

Yeah but my point was that he isnt over rated. I love crawford and have said even before yesterday's victory. He is a phenomenal fighter. At his age as well. Incredible 

Personally dont think there is anyone left he should go out on top

Would have loved to have seen Crawford va mayweather

All in my humble opnion......Spencer still has room for another fight against Crawford. He knows what he's up against and he had some success against Crawford , got through with a few single shots but no real combinations, his work to the body was good but getting caught doing it was never going to work out for him, he should have abandoned that once it started exposing him.

Problem for him now is countering crawfords vicious right knowing Crawford will most likely change what he doing in the next fight. He also has a limited amount of time and hasn't enough of it to get another fight in before a rematch with Crawford. I wouldn't take the rematch, I would wait and get rid of the ring rust, Crawford won't avoid him, he has no need to and Crawford ain't getting any younger.

A great coach and boxer can change during a fight, just like a great football coach/team. Spencer needed that change from round 2, he never did. Valiant attempt though, he took some unbelievable shots and still carried on, respect 🙏 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

Crawford switches to southpaw all the time during fights. It his ability to switch hit and have power in both hands that sets him apart. Add on his exceptional defensive skills rolling and smothering everything Spence did tonight. It was a masterclass performance. 

Just an amazing performance from Crawford. 

He didn't even switch last night, which totally nullified the Spence jab and without that jab Spence looked clueless. Once again I was wrong in my prediction. I actually thought Spence would be the more powerful, but Bud has that explosive power which comes from his low sense of gravity. He also has that wonderful ability to detach himself from emotion and at all times is reading his opponent. Crawford was playing chess whist Spence was playing draughts. 

What a great stoppage by the ref, Spence needed saving there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah but my point was that he isnt over rated. I love crawford and have said even before yesterday's victory. He is a phenomenal fighter. At his age as well. Incredible 

Personally dont think there is anyone left he should go out on top

Would have loved to have seen Crawford va mayweather

He has a better offence than Mayweather, I'm not too sure he has a better defence..

3 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

He has a better offence than Mayweather, I'm not too sure he has a better defence..

I think mayweather would win but be his toughtest test.

As for a rematch at 154 i think it might be a different story. Crawford should probably agree to it based on spence agreeing to going down at weight. But the concern for spence is Crawford hurt him at a lower weight what could he do it to him at a bigger weight

8 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

It's like Crawford said, he couldn't rely on that flick jab, that's why is jab was so powerful, he knew he had go have the better jab because all Spence's work comes from the jab. Once Crawford nullified that, game over. He made Spence look very one dimensional. 

Â