The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Mayweathee vs gotti III tonight. This will be another shit fight that sends everyone to sleep

Its all about the Taylor fight. 

Mayweather fights are exhibitions, they're just money orientated. 

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, sheepyvillian said:

Still think Calzaghe would have beat him. Warrior is the perfect adjective. 

Most definitely, Andre Ward showed his limitations completely, but as Mohammad Ali once said  if you want a man in the trench along side you… that would apply to Froch as well 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Taylor has lost what he once had. Lopez was too much for him. Great career, Josh, but probably time to call it a day. 

Do you not think he will have a bash at 147, theoretically there is a massive payday against the winner of the ‘fight’ 

1 hour ago, Follyfoot said:

Do you not think he will have a bash at 147, theoretically there is a massive payday against the winner of the ‘fight’ 

He said he will, but something has gone .Just like in the Cattrall fight, far too tentative. That was Lopez on point and he just had all the better skills on the night

I really don't see Taylor being a force again in boxing .

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

He's not got enough power to step up to 147 imo. 

2 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

He's not got enough power to step up to 147 imo. 

Almost definitely not, but it won’t stop the stories of him struggling to make the weight and ‘I’m feeling so much stronger at welter’’ to get a couple of big paydays. Give it a couple of weeks and the circus will start.

Edited by Follyfoot

I also think Taylor is done. Schooled for the entire fight, telegraphed most his shots, poor balance and now his punch resistance starting to look flimsy. 

Lopez looked great but Taylor made it easy for him. His jab isn't the greatest and he was just looking for the left all night and waiting on Lopez not putting it on him. 

One thing about Southpaws.... I always feel unless they can be quiet readable, a little like left footers that never use their right foot. Taylor is becoming predictable 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Almost definitely not, but it won’t stop the stories of him struggling to make the weight and ‘I’m feeling so much stronger at welter’’ to get a couple of big paydays. Give it a couple of weeks and the circus will start.

I agree with Sheepy. I think he's done now. He become far too predictable and far too reliant on the left hand to get him out of trouble. Now that isn't working leaves him running out of tools to fall back on. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

I agree with Sheepy. I think he's done now. He become far too predictable and far too reliant on the left hand to get him out of trouble. Now that isn't working leaves him running out of tools to fall back on. 

I pretty much agree with both of you on a boxing front, but on the commercial front they will flog the dead horse, almost 100% sure

Taylor was beaten in his last fight against Catterall but outrageously got the decision, he was in decline but ignored the signs and marched on regardless. Hopefully he has enough money to retire. 

23 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

What happened to those booming body - shots that were so effective for him against other opponents? It's like after the third round he suddenly realised that this was an opponent that was not going too give an inch in the psychological department. I remember Lopez going back to the corner after either the first or second round and saying, "I've got him," and boy, was he right.

Â