The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

I had the fight 119-109 to Mayweather, a complete schooling, Austin Trout would have given Mayweather a tougher fight.

I'm disappointed in Matthssye, he didn't jab his way inside enough, that would have set his offence up better. He was also slowed down by his eye and the continual low blows. To be fair though Garcia showed that he can box, his movement was excellent and so was his defence for the most part, he also showed a great chin, I have no idea how he took some of those shots, especially the one in the 11th where the gum shield was knocked out.

Swift is very crafty, a point exemplified by the knock down; it was a clear push that got Matthysse off balance and stuck in the ropes but he gave him two shots whilst Matthysse was stuck forcing him to take a knee, smart stuff, Hopkins-esque. He'll be going to 147 now so hopefully Matthysse will get the belts, he deserves it.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Bit underwhelmed with the event to be honest considering the hype.

Mayweather v canelo went exactly as expected but even more one sided then I could ever imagine. Mayweather was incredible but has he ever been in an exciting fight?! Its a testament to his brilliance that he has never been in a tear up but his negative style really bore the shit out of me (although I'm still in awe of his skills his fights are dull).

Finally won over by garcia. Although again the garcia v mattyse fight was an anti climax. It was good but wasnt the great tear up everyone hoped and expected.

Who next for Mayweather??? I'm hoping pacman as expected destroys rios. The only logical fight although I won't hold my breath at it happening.

Garcia snr v floyd snr holds more interest to me then the sons fighting. It will be another one sided shut out if it did happen

I've respected Garcia since the Khan fight to be honest, some tried to paint that win as the result of a lucky punch when it was really down to Garcia's skill and ring IQ. He was stepping to Khan all night because he knew Khan would leave himself open to the counters.

In the Matthysse fight Garcia showed us that he can fight off the back foot very well, he knew he tactically couldn't step step to Lucas for the most part as he'd get hurt, so he fought off the back foot and stepped forward when he had to. He really is very smart and showed that with the veterans move he pulled for the 'knockdown'. On top of that you can see the development in his punching, he is now throwing his punches a lot shorter and straighter, rather than looping them 9 times out of 10 as he used to a year or so ago.

I still think Matthysse takes a rematch but I doubt that will happen, rather Garcia is going straight up to 147 where there'd be a lot of good fights for him.

For Mayweather, I completely agree that one of the only competitive fights against anyone in around the welterweight division is Pacquiao, but Floyd refuses to go in with any Top Rank fighters, so that would also exclude another interesting match up, one against Tim Bradley.

The Pacquiao fight is a long shot but could still happen if he has absolutely zero options...Let's not forget that Paquiao is likely to finish his career fighting in China rather than in the US, for 'tax' reasons, so that's another spanner in the works.

Khan will take at most 3 rounds and would quite likely get stopped late.

People seem to forget Khan's last fight, he barely beat and was dropped and hurt badly by a blown up lightweight in the Autumn of his career, a guy who just lost to Shawn Porter.

Khan was murdered by Diaz's counterpunching ability, so when you step in with the best counterpuncher in the game it isn't going to end well.

If khan wins his fight it looks very likely he will fight mayweather next year, in my opinion.

Think it would be a good fight as well, if khan could last the 12 it would probably be a close one

Pmsl no chance Khan gets stopped 5-6.

Hatton lasted 10 rounds after charging in at every opportunity.

If he adopted the right strategy which is quite possible considering he has Andre wards trainer he could last the 12 I think, problem with that strategy would be a guaranteed loss on points.

No realistic way he wins the fight really doesn't mean it wouldn't be entertaining though, most people only gave Canelo 2 rounds so its hardly like khan has to give his best performance to better that.

If he adopted the right strategy which is quite possible considering he has Andre wards trainer he could last the 12 I think, problem with that strategy would be a guaranteed loss on points.

No realistic way he wins the fight really doesn't mean it wouldn't be entertaining though, most people only gave Canelo 2 rounds so its hardly like khan has to give his best performance to better that.

Did you not see khan's last fight?? Lets be brutal he fought a guy who is pretty shite and light punching. There was an uproar before the fight from people calling the fight a joke he was that 'bad'.

Yet under his new trainer, khan gave one of his worst ever performances. Every time he got hit he was doing his little chicken dance.

Khan will get his glass jaw shattered by Alexander, dread to think what Mayweather would do to him big puncher or not.

I like khan . I like his style and feel he was very underrated. But from his last performance at a very early age I feel he is finished at the top level. His punch resistance has gone. At 27 crazy, but if your getting rocked by diaz everytime he lands then he should get out while he can

Edited by donnie

Hatton actually gave Mayweather problems because he had very quick feet, Mayweather was pressured quite effectively until Mayweather adjusted and started to pick him off.

The point is that Mayweather is a great adjuster, he will eventually pick up Khan's speed and start to time him, he'll do that by laying in the pocket with him and countering him whenever he throws.

Just because Hatton went 10 with him it doesn't mean Khan will do better, remember that Khan has a chin made out of glass, Mayweather has decent power and is a very sharp counterpuncher, so for him to stop Khan isn't much of a stretch, in fact it's very likely if you look at how he 'took the shots' in his last fight, against someone who was precisely laying the pocket and looking for countering opportunities.

I tend to think that Khan is basically damaged goods after the beating Garcia gave him. Khan has always been very open to the left hook and that's one of Mayweather's best punches. But you are right about one thing, it will be very entertaining, and that's because seeing Khan get schooled and knocked out is one of my favourite sights in boxing.

Hatton was a much better fighter than Amir Khan.  He actually had a chin, and I think if he had lived right between fights then he could have been an even bigger player at 140 than he was. 

I think Khan - Mayweather might happen if Khan beats Alexander.   It will be an easy night's work for Floyd but it will be a big money spinner because Khan is popular on both sides of the pond. 

Yeah all fair points, I'm only thinking aloud really.

Dunno if it comes across that way but I'm not a khan fan particularly, don't care if he gets knocked out or not but I still regard him as a quality boxer, not really his fault he has a glass chin that's genetics not boxing talent. I'll never forget his fight against maidana which is one of the best fights I've ever seen.

At least khan offers something different to what may weather has fought recently even if a glass jaw is part of the package

Hatton was a much better fighter than Amir Khan.  He actually had a chin, and I think if he had lived right between fights then he could have been an even bigger player at 140 than he was

I think Khan - Mayweather might happen if Khan beats Alexander.   It will be an easy night's work for Floyd but it will be a big money spinner because Khan is popular on both sides of the pond. 

I'm not sure this makes a lot of sense because he was universally rated as the player at 140 when he was at his prime. He was rated as number one by ring magazine after he beat Tszyu and effectively remained number one on their list until he lost to Pacquiao, which even if he kept himself healthy he would have been dispatched of.

So he spent 4 years as the number one guy in that division, that's a long time to hold a division down, although it should be said that 140 wasn't that strong when Hatton was in it and he never fought Bradley who would have beaten him.

Oh and word on the street is that Matthysse and Swift have agreed a rematch

tumblr_mi1he1dhav1r9yup6o1_400.gif
Edited by Dr_Pangloss

RIP Champ

12944623_ori.jpg

He beat a prime Ali and pushed him very close (arguably won) in the rematch, and pushed him close again in a third fight. He also lost a very close fight against a prime Larry Holmes. In fact that was one of the most skilful displays of boxing I've seen, he pushed Holmes all the way and took away that jab of his for long periods of the fight.

Â