The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

I'm still unsure as to why he had absolutely nothing left in the 5th round of the fight, he's clearly in shape and spent a lot of the fight just pawing at Thompson so how the hell was he out on his feet so early in the fight.

Then he clearly isn't in shape.   Having big muscles doesn't mean you can fight for twelve hard rounds.  Price clearly has stamina issues and every opponent he faces from now on will seek to exploit that. 

Yep that's true, it's quite obvious that his conditioning is poor, also coupled with his retarded idea to try and go hell for leather in round 3, meant he had absolutely nothing left in the tank.

Price always struck me as top heavy as well, his legs don't look particularly powerful and that's important in boxing.

Price I believe is finished but if he wants to carry on he should take a year out, get a much better trainer than what he has, sack Maloney off, and work on all of the fundamentals - conditioning, jab etc...Let's not forget that despite not being a pro that long he is 30 years old so I doubt there's much scope to do much with him, he has A level power but scores a D at least at everything else.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

I was on the piss last night so I haven't managed to watch the fight yet, got it recorded and after reading this I can't wait to see it.

I do feel sorry for Price in the respect that he has always handled himself well with regards to the media and he comes across as a true gent but at the same time he hits like a train but has nothing else behind him to back that up, he looks **** amazing against lesser opponents but it's a big step up in class and that's when he gets found out

Yeah, but that was always going to happen and he should have been prepared for it. Huge power will make you a contender but once you get to that level then you start fighting opponents who have good punch resistance and powers of recovery.

I think Price had his spirit crushed when Thompson got back up from that huge right hand in the second round. He is used to winning fights with punches like that.

He also didn't have the skill to put him away, which goes back to his inability to work behind a jab and set his offence up properly.

They have royally **** up with Price. They allowed him to stick with a trainer who is clueless about the pro-game instead of getting him a world class professional one. Also, choosing Maloney as a promoter was a stupid move, I mean, who exactly has Maloney had since Lewis???

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Looks like Fury has added his two pence:

http://www.boxingscene.com/fury-rips-lennox-over-price-loss-pathetic-performance--67414

The thing is, Fury's time will come, because for a heavyweight he has no chin, having being dropped by the Canadian champ who had a then incredible 19% KO ratio and a blown up Cruiserweight, who was a non-puncher at Cruiser, in Steve Cunningham.

Matthysse vs Garcia on the Mayweather - Alvarez undercard.  :ph34r:

Also Chris Byrd on the Price fight:

Offers to train Price! 

Edited by The_Rev

Saw the Price fight...oh dear, he needs to start again now. He won't be getting anywhere near the Klitchko's with performances like that. I can also see Fury getting KO'd if he faces Haye, after all Haye hits much harder than Cunningham who also put Fury down.

Also caught up with the Maklin v Golovkin fight, what a beast GGG is!! I did want to see GGG v Sergio Martinez, but can't see that happening now as there is no way Martinez or his team will want anything to do with GGG. Question is who does GGG fight next? I'd like to see him fight the winner for Geale v Barker, although Martin Murray has also been mentioned. Otherwise I guess he moves to 168?

I would love Fury to beat him just to hear his celebratory sing song, he has the voice of an angel that man does

In all fairness I can't wait for it, I will be able to watch it just in the hope that either of them gets brutally knocked the **** out because they are both grad A words removed.

Hard to see anything other than a David Haye win though

Well Fury is normally on 5 and Hayes last one was boxnation (though I think that was more to do with Chisora being Warrens favourite pupil for some reason) I can see this getting onto sky box office though, a few boxers have already tweeted to say that they want to move their next fight date so they can get on the undercard of it

Haye will starch Fury with one big overhand right. If Fury is smart he'll try and pitch a shut out and win off of his jab but it is highly unlikely that he will.

Also, I'm glad the Matthysse - Garcia fight has been made, I'll always be a fan of Garcia for brutalising Khan but Matthysse will destroy him.

Haye will starch Fury with one big overhand right. If Fury is smart he'll try and pitch a shut out and win off of his jab but it is highly unlikely that he will.

I just don't think Fury has the discipline not to stand and trade with Haye.  When he does that (and he will do it) it is game over. 

True, one things for sure is that Haye needs to mix up his offence more than he did against his last giant opponent, he needs to attack Fury's fleshy body and not just head hunt.

I agree that this would be Haye's best option but does he really need to box intelligently? The punches (and KO rates of the fighters) that have put Fury on his arse to date suggest to me that fighting the same fight he did against Valuev would result in a fairly short fight.

hayefury_2971531.jpg?20130711132818

i've got haye as just out bellend-ing him in the photo, although fury does deserve credit for his buttoned up primark shirt - sunglasses look

Haye looks like he's channelling Chris Eubank.

Â