Would you take 4th place or 5th plus League Cup?

Foxy1

5th plus league cup or 4th?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. 5th plus league cup or 4th?

• 5th plus League Cup - we need to win something
    • 4th - Champions League is everything

The thing that sickens me these days is the fact that finishing fourth is seen as better than winning a trophy. I suppose that is what the CL and all of the money involved with football has caused. People are forgetting that the LC is still a trophy and it has been many years since we last won one.

Oh well though. Let's finish fourth, attract the same quality players and possibly not even get into the CL group stages. Yes, that's so much better than winning a trophy....

Our squad simply isn't good enough to be in the CL just yet. We couldn't even do it in the Uefa Cup so let's not get ahead of ourselves.

There are quality players we can attract without finishing fourth and I think this needs to be done before we go for CL football. Finishing fourth would by no means get us new signings. What would we say to them? We're fourth and have a CHANCE of qualifying for the group stages? Yes, I'm sure top quality will want to sign knowing it is only a possibility....

The fact is that the very highest quality players want either the highest wages (which we currently can't offer) or CL football (which even if we finish fourth we can't guarantee).

In reality we may just have to settle for top six or seven for years to come. Money has ruined football and with the likes of Man City and Spurs spending big, we may well get left behind. I really think some people are getting carried away and want overnight success in the league.

I'm not saying that we can't or won't finish fourth this season, however if we do then I would be very shocked. I would also be shocked if it made much of a difference to the club as far as signings go and such.

I agree with other people in the thread that have said third place would be a different story. It would mean automatic qualification for the CL. I would be tempted to take that over the LC.

However, I want a trophy. It has been far too long since we had any glory. Sure, it is only the Mickey Mouse cup and it doesn't mean much outside of a trophy win. Since when was a trophy win to be laughed at though?! If we finish fourth I would be happy, although I would be much happier if we win the LC.

If we could do both then I would be over the moon. Yet, I don't think we will finish in the top four. I hope we do, yet if we don't then I would rather have the LC than nothing at all (again). This is our chance to win a trophy. It has been 13 long years since we last won one.....

Not even close, imo. gotta be 4th place and the CL. The one year we are a viable club to break into the top 4, and people are choosing the rinky dink Coca Cola Cup?

it's not even the FA Cup, ffs!

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE

This just sums up modern day football for me.

I take it you'll have a spare "rinky dink" cup final ticket then if we get there. Can I have it please??

The thing that sickens me these days is the fact that finishing fourth is seen as better than winning a trophy. I suppose that is what the CL and all of the money involved with football has caused. People are forgetting that the LC is still a trophy and it has been many years since we last won one.

Oh well though. Let's finish fourth, attract the same quality players and possibly not even get into the CL group stages. Yes, that's so much better than winning a trophy....

Our squad simply isn't good enough to be in the CL just yet. We couldn't even do it in the Uefa Cup so let's not get ahead of ourselves.

There are quality players we can attract without finishing fourth and I think this needs to be done before we go for CL football. Finishing fourth would by no means get us new signings. What would we say to them? We're fourth and have a CHANCE of qualifying for the group stages? Yes, I'm sure top quality will want to sign knowing it is only a possibility....

The fact is that the very highest quality players want either the highest wages (which we currently can't offer) or CL football (which even if we finish fourth we can't guarantee).

In reality we may just have to settle for top six or seven for years to come. Money has ruined football and with the likes of Man City and Spurs spending big, we may well get left behind. I really think some people are getting carried away and want overnight success in the league.

I'm not saying that we can't or won't finish fourth this season, however if we do then I would be very shocked. I would also be shocked if it made much of a difference to the club as far as signings go and such.

I agree with other people in the thread that have said third place would be a different story. It would mean automatic qualification for the CL. I would be tempted to take that over the LC.

However, I want a trophy. It has been far too long since we had any glory. Sure, it is only the Mickey Mouse cup and it doesn't mean much outside of a trophy win. Since when was a trophy win to be laughed at though?! If we finish fourth I would be happy, although I would be much happier if we win the LC.

If we could do both then I would be over the moon. Yet, I don't think we will finish in the top four. I hope we do, yet if we don't then I would rather have the LC than nothing at all (again). This is our chance to win a trophy. It has been 13 long years since we last won one.....

Very intelligent post... one of the best posts I've seen on the forum for a while.

Too many people get ahead of themselves thinking Champions League is the be all and end all... it really isn't - it's not the same competition it used to be and one of the reasons it was made (like Premier League) was to generate lots of money.

Winning a cup is good progress and it's another cup to add to our large trophy cabinet... Champions League is too hyped up but it's a long-term goal we want to aim toawrds, but we're just not ready for Champions League at this current stage but I think we will be soon.

P.S. What's with this term 'Mickey Mouse'. It's played out between 92 teams in the league's... FA Cup is traditionally more famous but the League Cup is still a respected cup to win... 87 out of the 92 teams involved in the comp would genuinely be delighted if they won it.

I personally do consider finishing 4th as being better than winning the League Cup. To me, 4th means that after the course of a WHOLE SEASON we would have been the 4th best team. Winning the League Cup means we have beaten 6 random teams on one occasion..

I don't think anyone has said we will qualify or win the CL.. As said above - finishing 4th means you're, currently, the 4th best team in the league.

If I was a player and had to chose between signing for the team who finished 4th (but missed out on the League Cup) or the team who finished 5th and won the League Cup - I'd chose 4th. (Sorry if that also sickens you - must be modern age football/ impact of money/ etc etc)..

I really think some people are getting carried away and want overnight success in the league.

Since when was a trophy win to be laughed at though?! If we finish fourth I would be happy, although I would be much happier if we win the LC.

I don't mean to pick at your post - but no one has said we will win the Prem or the Champions League.. And though I would prefer to finish 4th than win the League Cup - I'd still love to win that or any cup.. no joke

I can see both sides of the argument.

It's easy to say that winning cups is what it's all about and that CL qualification doesn't in itself mean anything. However, though it's nice to have a fleeting moment of pride and excitement at winning a trophy, that soon disappears. It should be a reward for of having a good team rather than something to aim for regardless of how we achieve it.

I believe most fans, whether they realise it or not, love about football because it's a form of entertainment like any other; we love seeing players do things most people can't. Bolton don't have too many fans because their football is traditionally poor, but those that do attend regularly do so because they live in hope that they will one day improve.

I'm sure Pompey fans don't care a great deal about their FA cup victory a couple of years back now they are now rooted to the bottom of the table and on the verge of bankruptcy. I'm sure if you asked their fans now, they'd say they'd forfeit that trophy in place of an improved team which is fighting for a UEFA cup spot. That's progress.

We all live in hope that we will see world class players producing football which astounds us - players we talk about in the same way as Man U fans talked about Cantona and Ronaldo (and we used to in years gone by). There is only one way this is likely to happen, and it's not by simply winning the League Cup.

Sorry - got to be the (or any realistic) Cup for me. It's our lot in life, and it's what we do.

If we make the Champions League this year - spend a glut of money that we don't 'actually have' to get the players we think we would like. When we don't qualify for the CL next time, we will do a Leeds? (CL TV money is only good while you're still in it/qualifying for it. Once you are out, you cannot pay the big boys and we would prabably have to sell) Who knows?

How many clubs can this Premier League actually sustain spending to try and break into the Top 4? Surely something has to give somewhere? Are there really enough CL quality players out there who would settle for the 'odd season' of not getting into the CL? Doubtful.

All this CL talk is over-rated and it only disappointed my season last year. Let's get a mainstream, winnable trophy in the cabinet and build from there. After all, we are yet to make an impression on the Europa League (surely our realistic aim and foundation block?) and god help us if we do qualify for the CL. I don't fancy watching Villa get dicked 4-0 every week and being charged twice the price for the opportunity. Poke it.

Bah Humbug ;-)

Not even close, imo. gotta be 4th place and the CL. The one year we are a viable club to break into the top 4, and people are choosing the rinky dink Coca Cola Cup?

So 'rinky dink' we haven't won or even been in the final for about 14 or so years?

On the europa League they should make it straight knock out again. Would make it more exciting and wouldn't have to play so many matches. Also I think the CL has ruined it as well because there aren't as many good teams in it as more spaces have come avaliable.

Â