NHL

Vojskovoda

• 2 weeks later...

Leafs fan in meltdown as they trade for goalie Matt Murray who has a bad contract and can't stay healthy anymore. They just traded away goalie Mrazek who also had a bad contract and lose Jack Campbell to free-agency. Interesting to see what they do tomorrow when free-agency starts.

4 hours ago, NoelVilla said:

Leafs fan in meltdown as they trade for goalie Matt Murray who has a bad contract and can't stay healthy anymore. They just traded away goalie Mrazek who also had a bad contract and lose Jack Campbell to free-agency. Interesting to see what they do tomorrow when free-agency starts.

Lot of happy Senators fans today :D  

I see Malkin on free agency as well, one of the elite but seems to be made of glass last few seasons

• Like 1

On 12/07/2022 at 16:45, sne said:

Really hope Calgary can sort out contracts for Gaudreau and Tkachuk

Edid: lol

Family reasons apparently, goimg to Philadelphia it seems

Edit: Columbus randomly

Edited by Zatman

Gaudreau to Columbus is a shock. Small market team but he got paid and closer to home.

Edmonton got a better goalie which has been their problem and Carolina continues to make mistakes with a good team. Now they traded for Brent Burns who have a huge contract with 3 years remaining.

2 hours ago, NoelVilla said:

Gaudreau to Columbus is a shock. Small market team but he got paid and closer to home.

Edmonton got a better goalie which has been their problem and Carolina continues to make mistakes with a good team. Now they traded for Brent Burns who have a huge contract with 3 years remaining.

Johnny Cash

• Haha 1

and there it is. Thachuk signed for 8*9,5. Both Weegar and Huberdeau's contracts expires after this season. If they resign Calgary wins this trade. If not it's not a good situation.

Confirmed Trade: [CGY/FLA] Matthew Tkachuk c. 2025 4th for Jonathan Huberdeau, MacKenzie Weegar, Cole Schwindt, c. 2025 1st

I was kinda hoping Calgary does Detroit and tanks for a couple seasons so they can re-tool with some draft picks but this points to them doing the opposite with short term thinking.

As expected

1 hour ago, sne said:

I was kinda hoping Calgary does Detroit and tanks for a couple seasons so they can re-tool with some draft picks but this points to them doing the opposite with short term thinking.

As expected

They can still trade both players at  the deadline for 1st round picks and then draft Canadians or Scandinavians just to make sure they can keep them.

• Like 1

Just now, NoelVilla said:

They can still trade both players at  the deadline for 1st round picks and then draft Canadians or Scandinavians just to make sure they can keep them.

At least the guys they got in the trade are Canadians so they might be OK with living in Calgary. It's apparently a very nice place to live.

19 minutes ago, sne said:

At least the guys they got in the trade are Canadians so they might be OK with living in Calgary. It's apparently a very nice place to live.

I have been there. Lovely place and close to the Canadian Rockies. Should be a good life for a hockey player IMO. Downside is the old arena. 

4 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

I have been there. Lovely place and close to the Canadian Rockies. Should be a good life for a hockey player IMO. Downside is the old arena. 

Yeah that new stadium seem to be dragging. Perfect timing with the plague and a new cold war making everything extra, extra expensive and slow.

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/07/2022 at 11:29, NoelVilla said:

Isnt the problem the tax is higher in Canada than US. Gaudreau I read got less for signing for Columbus compared to what Calgary was paying but after tax is counted he is now earning more

24 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Isnt the problem the tax is higher in Canada than US. Gaudreau I read got less for signing for Columbus compared to what Calgary was paying but after tax is counted he is now earning more

The tax is also a problem for the Canadian teams yes. At least for the smaller teams. If you are a star in Montreal or Toronto it won't matter. 

Calgary splashing the cash. Nice that he's staying but not sure he's one of the best players in the league. Be nice if they could keep MacKenzie Weegar too.

Mangiapane also got a new contract.

Edited by sne

Â