NHL

Vojskovoda

8 minutes ago, sne said:

Flames finally getting a new arena in Calgary :hooray:

Saddledome is pretty iconic, but ancient in US sports terms. One of my favourite arenas

• Like 1

Just now, Tegis said:

Saddledome is pretty iconic, but ancient in US sports terms. One of my favourite arenas

Yeah I have very fond memories from it but it needs to go. It was partly submerged under water 10 years ago ffs :D 

• 4 weeks later...

San Jose Sharks ship 10 goals for the second game in a row. There is tanking on purpose and then there is taking the p*ss. Hope they are stripped of the top pick in the draft.

• 5 months later...

Arizona Coyotes leaving Arizona after 28 years and are moving to Salt Lake. Remains to be seen what the franchise will be named.

Go local sports team!

On 19/04/2024 at 02:41, sne said:

Arizona Coyotes leaving Arizona after 28 years and are moving to Salt Lake. Remains to be seen what the franchise will be named.

Go local sports team!

A quote from Baseketball, one of my favourite comedies:

Soon it was commonplace for entire teams to change cities in search of greater profits. The Minneapolis Lakers moved to Los Angeles where there are no lakes. The Oilers moved to Tennessee where there is no oil. The Jazz moved to Salt Lake City where they don't allow music.

• Haha 2

On 18/04/2024 at 18:41, sne said:

Go local sports team!

Coyotes have until 2029 to find a stadium and if so can retain the rights to the name and history and assume would be allowed back into the NHL

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Coyotes have until 2029 to find a stadium and if so can retain the rights to the name and history and assume would be allowed back into the NHL

Yeah the Salt Lake franchise will not be named Coyotes that's for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Salt Lake fans were giving the following 20 choices to vote upon:

Frost, Ice, Powder, Mountaineers, Freeze, Mammoth, Black Diamonds, Blast, Caribou, Blizzard, Swarm, Hive, Outlaws, Yeti, Squall, Fury, Glaciers, Canyons, Venom and HC (Hockey Club) 

Not really a fan of any but I don’t get to vote. Whichever name is victorious, the team will be called the Utah ______

2 hours ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

Salt Lake fans were giving the following 20 choices to vote upon:

Frost, Ice, Powder, Mountaineers, Freeze, Mammoth, Black Diamonds, Blast, Caribou, Blizzard, Swarm, Hive, Outlaws, Yeti, Squall, Fury, Glaciers, Canyons, Venom and HC (Hockey Club) 

Not really a fan of any but I don’t get to vote. Whichever name is victorious, the team will be called the Utah ______

snow-cone-monsters-inc.gif

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Tegis said:

snow-cone-monsters-inc.gif

That’s the one I would vote for 🤣

Interesting that Hive is the only one that nods to Utah’s LDS (Mormon) heritage and it’s one that most people know nothing about. Utah’s nickname is the Beehive State but it has nothing to do with honey 

https://www.saltlakemagazine.com/behind-the-beehive/#:~:text=When Brigham Young and the,to make the desert bloom.

When Brigham Young and the Latter-day Saints arrived in Salt Lake Valley in July of 1847, Young chose the name “Deseret” for their new home, and the beehive as its emblem, symbolizing the kind of cooperative work that would be required to make the desert bloom”

Edited by Nor-Cal Villan

23 hours ago, NoelVilla said:

20 choices and not a good one. Should buy the rights to Utah Grizzlies from the ECHL team.

and Utah Yetis? Seriously?

All of those choices truly suck 

• Like 1

Â