General Chat

Stevo985

It's lunchtime here. My head's been a bit dozey all day and I need to get a good bit of work done so I went to take a Neurofen.

Grabbed a packet from my medicine drawer, popped it out and washed it down with a glass of water.

Realised that my Neurofen are in a bottle on the table, not a packet in the drawer. I just ate a sleeping tablet.

Balls.

This is how people die

I took ritalin by mistake once..... that was an interesting day!

Yes but it's a flock of sheep, as opposed to sheeps.

And a herd of deer as opposed to deers.

Whereas it's a herd of cowS (as opposed to a single Cow)

or a flock of birdS etc

Fish.

Shoal ?

School ?

I don't think that was the question CI.

The name for a collective group of sheep is flock, Wiggy is asking if the plural for any animal matches the singular.

i.e. There are 20 fish in my tank / there is a fish in my tank.

Yes but it's a flock of sheep, as opposed to sheeps.

And a herd of deer as opposed to deers.

Whereas it's a herd of cowS (as opposed to a single Cow)

or a flock of birdS etc

Yeah, but if you saw a load of sheep in a field, you would still say "look at those magnificant sheep"

Back to Wiggmaster Flash's question, off the top of my head; bison, buffalo and moose.

Im pretty sure you would still say buffalo's.

Random thought of the day.

1 sheep on its own is called a sheep. 20 sheep in a group are stilled sheep...not sheeps.

Is there any other example of this in the animal kingdom? Im struggling to think of any.

Clunge?

EDIT.... Word filtered!

Cl*nge?

And apparently you'd be wrong, sir. :P

Nouns with identical singular and plural

Some nouns spell their singular and plural exactly alike; some linguists regard these as regular plurals. Many of these are the names of animals:

buffalo

deer

moose

sheep

bison

salmon

pike

trout

fish

swine

money

The plural deers is listed in some dictionaries.[7] As a general rule, game or other animals are often referred to in the singular for the plural in a sporting context: "He shot six brace of pheasant", "Carruthers bagged a dozen tiger last year", whereas in another context such as zoology or tourism the regular plural would be used. Similarly, nearly all kinds of fish have no separate plural form (though there are exceptions—such as rays, sharks or lampreys). And the word "fish" itself is also troublesome, being generally used as a plural when in the context of food, but forming a regular plural otherwise (thus "three lots of fish and chips", "the industry landed 5,200 tonnes of fish in 1998" but "the order of fishes", "the miracle of the loaves and fishes", the phrase "sleep with the fishes"). The usage does vary, however, so that for example the phrase "five fish in an aquarium" might to another native user be "five fishes in an aquarium". Using the plural form fish could imply many individual fish(es) of the same species while fishes could imply many individual fish(es) of differing species.

Other nouns that have identical singular and plural forms include:

aircraft; watercraft; spacecraft; hovercraft; ocean-going craft

the blues4

cannon (sometimes cannons)

head5

stone (occasionally stones)6

series, species (and other words in -ies)

scissors7

^ Note 4: Referring to individual songs in the blues musical style: "play me a blues"; "he sang three blues and a calypso"

^ Note 5: Referring, in the plural, to animals in a herd: "fifty head of cattle"

^ Note 6: As a unit of weight equal to 14 pounds

^ Note 7: When referring to a single item, used with either a singular or plural verb ("this scissors is dull" or "these scissors are dull"); some speakers avoid the issue entirely by using the phrase "pair of scissors" ("this pair of scissors is dull").

This really belongs in the "Things you've often wondered" thread, but...

Moving on from plurals, let's play "Missing Opposites":

Why can you eat antpasti, but not propasti? (Don't answer, I know, I know)

How can you demolish a building when it has never been molished?

How can you be gormless, but not gormful?

Why is there upholstery but no downholstery?

Why a wardrobe, and not a peacedrobe?

And apparently you'd be wrong, sir. :P

Nouns with identical singular and plural

Some nouns spell their singular and plural exactly alike; some linguists regard these as regular plurals. Many of these are the names of animals:

buffalo

deer

moose

sheep

bison

salmon

pike

trout

fish

swine

money

The plural deers is listed in some dictionaries.[7] As a general rule, game or other animals are often referred to in the singular for the plural in a sporting context: "He shot six brace of pheasant", "Carruthers bagged a dozen tiger last year", whereas in another context such as zoology or tourism the regular plural would be used. Similarly, nearly all kinds of fish have no separate plural form (though there are exceptions—such as rays, sharks or lampreys). And the word "fish" itself is also troublesome, being generally used as a plural when in the context of food, but forming a regular plural otherwise (thus "three lots of fish and chips", "the industry landed 5,200 tonnes of fish in 1998" but "the order of fishes", "the miracle of the loaves and fishes", the phrase "sleep with the fishes"). The usage does vary, however, so that for example the phrase "five fish in an aquarium" might to another native user be "five fishes in an aquarium". Using the plural form fish could imply many individual fish(es) of the same species while fishes could imply many individual fish(es) of differing species.

Other nouns that have identical singular and plural forms include:

aircraft; watercraft; spacecraft; hovercraft; ocean-going craft

the blues4

cannon (sometimes cannons)

head5

stone (occasionally stones)6

series, species (and other words in -ies)

scissors7

^ Note 4: Referring to individual songs in the blues musical style: "play me a blues"; "he sang three blues and a calypso"

^ Note 5: Referring, in the plural, to animals in a herd: "fifty head of cattle"

^ Note 6: As a unit of weight equal to 14 pounds

^ Note 7: When referring to a single item, used with either a singular or plural verb ("this scissors is dull" or "these scissors are dull"); some speakers avoid the issue entirely by using the phrase "pair of scissors" ("this pair of scissors is dull").

You can also add Elk to the list!

Like, an uprising...never a lowrising!

Or an assault on a army base...never an aspepper!

A hot-rod...not a cold-rod!

I can answer the last one :)

"Ward" is an old word for protecting or guarding and "robe" is an old word for clothes. Hence "Wardrobe" is the place your clothes are protected (though not from moths in my case :()

No more Moyles on the Radio 1 breakfast show.

Some people will be very happy!

Nick Grimshaw to replace him.

I think I'm ok with that. Grimmy can be a bit annoying but he is pretty funny, imo. Hoping he can poach Becky from Scott Mills' show as a sidekick.

Does anyone care? Just me?

Â