Spurs - Arry's gone but we still dislike them...

Jondaken

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Redknapp. We may have him wrong. DO a Google Image Search for "wheeler dealer" "football transfer bung" and see how many results you get with Redknapp right on the first page.

See, Glaston, it's not just us who thinks him's a bit dodgy.

I wouldn't trust Redknapp with the steam off my piss.

This post is yet another confirmation of everything I've said about shallow thinking and predjudiced stereotyping.

So he's guilty because Google says he is? Is this supposed to be advance on the notion that he's guilty because he twitches and talks like Del boy?

Did he ever explain why a certain football agent, Willie McKay (you may have heard of him) just gave him a racehorse called Double Fantasy. Apparently there was nothing wrong in this because the horse was crap (was Arry's defence). This is the same McKay who was involved in the Benjani transfers, the very same one who is part of the Tax fraud investigation. And that doesn't sound at all dodgy at all does it, no, pure as the driven

... Did he ever explain why a certain football agent, Willie McKay (you may have heard of him) just gave him a racehorse called Double Fantasy. Apparently there was nothing wrong in this because the horse was crap (was Arry's defence). This is the same McKay who was involved in the Benjani transfers, the very same one who is part of the Tax fraud investigation. And that doesn't sound at all dodgy at all does it, no, pure as the driven

Yet more innuendos, based on nothing but superficial knowledge derived from media reports.

Has Harry been found guilty of doing anything illegal? No. You're apparently another poster who somehow just "knows" Harry has broken the law.

Is it really too much to ask that you wait for the outcome of the pending court case instead of weighing in now with your "verdict"?

Not wanting to get dragged into the firefight here, but I have to point out on this that there is a difference between leaving a club financially crippled and teetering on the brink of relegation and (as much as I think he's a prick for doing it) walking out on us as O'Neill did, when all we have to worry about is trimming/re-assigning the wage bill in a few key areas.

Why do you assume that a manager is responsible for deciding how much money is available to spend? It's the club owner/chairman who set the budget. If Harry is given X amount of money for transfers then sooner or later he's going to spend it, just as any manager will, because it's always possible to improve almost any squad in almost all areas.

And why not also look at the successes that Harry has had as a manager (it's not as if they don't exist)?

A good friend of mine (and all his brothers) are Spurs fans and (as appreciative as they are of what Redknapp has done for the club) they all think he's dodgy as **** and are glad that Levy seems to have the balls to keep him in check.

Sure, plenty of people think he's "dodgy as ****". It's not as if I'm unaware of this fact. I just happen to think that most of the reasons for it are the superficial ones that I've already cited in this thread. Beyond that, I reserve judgement pending the outcome of the Inland Revenue's court case against him, rather than assuming he's guilty.

... On the flip-side, I don't think your transfer activity could be labelled a failure; you needed defensive cover, preferably experienced as King and Woodgate are both a tackle away from injury and you've brought in Gallas for nowt.

Pletikosa is a very capable goalkeeper and good cover if Cudicini does another Evil Knievel impression or Gomes has one of his 'flappy' periods.

Then there's Van Der Vaart. Whether or not you need another attacking midfielder shouldn't detract from how good a signing it is (especially at the alleged price). He may not be in the pantheon of the truly great Dutch midfielders and the Premiership can be a harst test for any player but there's no denying the talent.

If you're honest (and my aforementioned peers agree), the one thing that would have topped the letter to Santa would have been an out-and-out goalscorer. This hasn't materialised for whatever reason, I think you'd be lying to yourself if you said you weren't a little disappointed but as I say, I wouldn't brand this summer's ins and outs and White Hart Lane a failure by any stretch of the imagination.

This is all fair comment, though I would also throw Sandro into the mix when it comes to assessing the Spurs squad compared to the end of last season.

And I agree, a new, top-notch striker would have been ideal. But it's obviously not always possible to get all you want when you want it. In the meanwhile we still have cash to spend in January if a suitable striker becomes available. And a quartet of Defoe, Crouch, Pav and Keane isn't so bad, especially when both VdV and dos Santos can also play as 2nd striker. All in all I expect we'll do OK when it comes to scoring goals.

So overall I'm pleased with the Spurs window: for 16m net spend we've acquired a couple of good players, a hot prospect and - in VdV's case - a very good player.

6 to 8 weeks isn't that bad actually.

When I first saw it I thought it could have been a season thing. It was a really horrible way to fall, and knee ligaments are notoriously difficult to recover from.

Stop ducking the point, Glaston. I do not know of another instance of a Premier League manager ... deliberately swearing at the camera. ...

Then maybe you need to get out more. Here's just one example:

Sir Alex Ferguson famously said in a 2002 interview that his "greatest challenge" as Manchester United boss was "knocking Liverpool right off their f****** perch"

... You can't deny what he did on Sky the other week was wrong, surely? He said **** three times on live telly, twice shouting it.

How many times on TV - across an average nightly output in the UK - is the word "****" said? And yet you're getting worked up because a football manager shows some balls and tells a snidy reporter to "**** off" in the heat of the moment? I imagine half the viewers applauded him for doing so.

He stuck his fingers up at the Holte End when he was Pompey manager. Would Spuds fans not be a little ticked off if an opposing team's manager did it to them? ... He brought on everything he got from the Holte End and he will get more next time he comes.

So which is it? Did he bring on "everything he got", or was he responding to the abuse being thrown out by Villa fans? You can't have it both ways.

All this really amounts to is that Harry occasionally gets riled up and let's rip. So what? At least he shows some balls and a bit of passion, which is more than can be said for some managers.

Basically, all this stuff about Harry swearing is a molehill, which you wish to turn into a mountain.

He has left every club he has managed in financial crisis. I have explained this before, as have many others.

And as I've explained before, it's not the manager who sets club or transfer budgets. Give any manager money to spend and he'll spend it ... as Lerner discovered with MON: rising wage bills and growing club losses.

A manager is not allowed to speculate publicly about a player contracted to another club.

The rule was posted up on this site two summers ago when Liverpool did it to us with Barry.

Redknapp constantly speculates about other team's players in the press. He will clearly speak to anyone who will listen.

Just LAST WEEK he was publicly speculating about Ashley Young without making contact with the club to enquire about his availability.

A manager is allowed to answer media questions and to cast his opinion - good or bad - on any player.

If Harry is asked if he wants to sign player X, he's perfectly entitled to answer: to say yes or no, or to say that he doesn't think club X wants to sell, or to say that player X is fantastic or to say that player X is not the sort of player he's looking for etc etc.

If Harry is breaking all these rules, as you claim, then why isn't he being fined for it by the authorities? The simple answer is that he isn't breaking any rules.

... Are there any other managers in the league that have had multiple allegations of corruption levelled at them for years and years? Are there any other managers in the league that are currently facing charges of tax evasion?

We're going round in circles. Do you not understand that mere allegations prove nothing? He's presumed innocent until proven guilty.. and just I'm sorry that you and so many other VTers apparently reject this fundamental tenet of law and justice.

... The issue here is Redknapp, Glaston. Please remember that next time you breach the site rules by calling our members muppets....

When I breach site rules? You might care to cast your eye back at some of the vitriol directed at me in this thread? I give back much less worse than I'm given.

I really admire you Glaston. I admire how much you miss the point. Every single post you seem to miss the point of whatever is spoken about and then argue about something else in the post which is, given the bigger picture, pretty much irrelevant.

I await your response arguing as to whether I should have used commas or brackets in the previous sentence.

6-8 weeks is nothing at all really.

Spurs fans were literally crying over his injury as if he had died.

When you consider than a much better talent and much better player like Delph is out for 9 months, Spurs got off lightly.

I actually think it's good for them. Gallas will play instead won't he? And even though Gallas isn't exactly a world beater, he's miles better than Dawson.

When you consider than a much better talent and much better player like Delph is out for 9 months, Spurs got off lightly.

I'm sorry, but how is Delph a much better player than Dawson?

Dawson's an international defender who's a first team member of a Champion's League team who last season won the club's Player of the Year award.

Delph has played a handful of games for Villa and hasn't exactly had a Wilshere or Rodwell like impact in those games.

Don't get me wrong, Delph will probably turn into a brilliant player in a few years, providing he recovers well from the injury. But to say he's already a much better player than Dawson is ridiculous.

Stop ducking the point, Glaston. I do not know of another instance of a Premier League manager ... deliberately swearing at the camera. ...

Then maybe you need to get out more. Here's just one example:

Sir Alex Ferguson famously said in a 2002 interview that his "greatest challenge" as Manchester United boss was "knocking Liverpool right off their f****** perch"

And there was me thinking he said it to a recorded interview back in 1986.

Dawson's an international defender who's a first team member of a Champion's League team who last season won the club's Player of the Year award.

Dawson has been a young playwer with potential for nearly as long as wes brown. And yes even wes orange managed a few international appearances.

Delph has played a handful of games for Villa and hasn't exactly had a Wilshere or Rodwell like impact in those games.

Don't get me wrong, Delph will probably turn into a brilliant player in a few years, providing he recovers well from the injury. But to say he's already a much better player than Dawson is ridiculous.

Well it's a lot harder to play in CM than CB. Okay then maybe I was being a bit harsh on Dawson.

But what I meant is he is 'technically a better player'.

For instance a player like Delph is more reliant on his legs than Dawson.

However you are wrong regarding Delph not having the impact Rodwell or Wilshere have had.

Every time he had played for Villa he has been our best player in the opinion of most Villa fans.

It's just MON's fault he hasn't played as much as he should have. If we had a young Messi in our squad, MON wouldn't have played him much.

Â