Will time travel ever be possible

paddy

Will time travel ever be possible?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Will time travel ever be possible?

• Yes and in our lifetime
    • Yes, but not in our lifetime
    • No

Do you think time travel will ever be possible? By that I mean travelling back in time to maybe the Tudor times or something rather than just a few seconds.

Personally I don't see how it can, otherwise someone would have come back and proved to us that it can. As no matter what controls were put in place someone would break through and ruin it just to show that they could. Or maybe they have and just no-one believed them.

What do you reckon?

No. Absolutely not.

It is logically impossible. Time is linear, the past has ceased to be and the future doesn't exist yet. Past and future only exist in the subjective absract of the human mind, and it is impossible to travel to a place that does not physically exist.

No.

Simply because if it did, why arent there tourists from the future around now?

Unless of course, we are being controlled by a super-race in the future, and our fate is out of our control. And in fact Time Travel was possible, but was used to influence humans to destroy itself in the near future. But of course if this happened, the super race would cease to exist and time travel would also as it is an idea created by humans. Creating various parallel universes of which time travel did or did not occour.

Hm.

No because it would be catastrophic..

If it was something that was invented it would be quickly tried to be un-invented, like the nuclear bomb!

Imagine people would go back and kill Hitler, stop September 11th etc those actions would have repercussions now.

In fact no it never could or would be!

No. Absolutely not.

It is logically impossible. Time is linear, and the past has ceased to exist and the future doesn't exist yet. Past and future only exist in the absract of the human mind, and it is impossible to travel to a place that does not physically exist.

So was tv, the internet, or even electricity a few hundred years ago.

But the components that were assembled to create said things did exist. There has always been potential tv, internet and electricity. Luckily, we have gained the knowledge to invent these things. I'm sure there is potential do invent and do many things we haven't even thought of yet. There is no such potential for time travel.

No.

Simply because if it did, why arent there tourists from the future around now?

They could have chosen not to, for some reason. That doesn't exclude the theoretical possibilty of time travel.

No because it would be catastrophic..

If it was something that was invented it would be quickly tried to be un-invented, like the nuclear bomb!

Imagine people would go back and kill Hitler, stop September 11th etc those actions would have repercussions now.

Maybe they did. Maybe they went back and killed somebody to prevent a different catastrophe - but the upshot was 9/11.

The usual SF workaround is that every time you go back and change history it spawns a new "branch" or timeline - and you end up with millions of these running in parallel - but you can't cross "sideways" between them.

All this is great stuff for SF plots, but do I believe it will happen (or has happened)? No.

There IS a wacky U.S. physicist who's having a go at it though - clicky.

No, time is not a physical property, it exists only as a reference point to progress or change. The past has ceased to be. The future has not happened yet. The present is the only thing that physically exists.

Exactly.

All those different Dr Whos have managed it. I once knew a lad called Diego from a small town called Serra who did a doctoral thesis on this, some of which was published in a leading provincial newspaper, unfortunately in Valenciano. He more or less proved it was possible. Mind you, he had several bricks shy of a full hod and lived very close to a psychiatric hospital.

What ever happend to the Large Hadron Collider experiment?

The therory was that it could create wormholes making time travel possible, but only through these wormholes making 2008/09 "year one" in terms of time travel.

It's a mind boggler for sure.

Isn't it already possible though, in a very different way?

I'm talking about those satellite photographs that show pictures of supernovas and whatnot from billions of years ago.

Isn't that becuase it takes that long for the images to travel?

I'm talking about those satellite photographs that show pictures of supernovas and whatnot from billions of years ago.

Light, rather.

Aye, but we're witnessing something that has already happened. We are looking back in time, which would suggest some element of time travel.

It's all terribly confusing really.

Â