• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stay of course.

There's a two-step recipe for success as far as I'm concerned:

1) You find the right man for the job

2) You give him time

The second point in that list should not be underestimated. It goes without saying I think MON is the right man for us. Sack him and we're back to square one.

Imagine where Man.Utd would be today had their board succumbed to fan (and media) pressure and sacked Alex Ferguson after 3 years in charge in 1989/1990.

The thing with MON is now, i honestly don't think he has a clue what to do next. Our squad should have been sorted by now, his first team plans and tactics should have been sorted. I think Villa is too big of a club for him to manage.

because villa are such a huge step up from celtic?

the league we play in is..ffs get your i love mon bloody hats off for once..

the league we play in has no impact IMO their expectations are higher than ours and their capabilities are actually hindered by the league they play in whereas ours are enhanced

take your claret and blue tinted specs off, villa arent bigger than celtic and MON isnt under as much pressure to win things here as he was there

The thing with MON is now, i honestly don't think he has a clue what to do next. Our squad should have been sorted by now, his first team plans and tactics should have been sorted. I think Villa is too big of a club for him to manage.

Of course they are. Tony Mobray will look good there but remind me where his west brom team finished last year in the premier league? Villa are competing against alot more teams than celtic compete against.

im even at the point where,i think DOL or JG would have brought in better players than MON has with all the money spent,after all DOL did bing our best defenders,brought Gabby through also (not sure if thats a good thing tbh)..

if mon goes everyone goes

all our players would want out

lerner could possibly go

we would end up like pompey

Oh dear. Pompey's problems stem from the fact that they're massively in debt, and are in limbo while the takeover hangs in the balance. When managers left in the past, we always managed to replace them under Ellis, without the club collapsing. It's a funny point of view that says a brilliant businessman like Lerner wouldn't be able to replace him.

Our problems stem from the fact that in three seasons, O'Neill has been unable to put together an even halfway decent defence. If he did leave, he'd be welcome to take Cuellar, Shorey, Davies, NRC, Harewood and Heskey with him.

the league we play in is..ffs get your i love mon bloody hats off for once..

the league we play in has no impact IMO their expectations are higher than ours and their capabilities are actually hindered by the league they play in whereas ours are enhanced

take your claret and blue tinted specs off, villa arent bigger than celtic and MON isnt under as much pressure to win things here as he was there

to compeat in this league over a whole season is harder,been honest i think your talking crap..the only games you really have to up your game for int that league is rangers..

but MONs target wasnt to win the league, that was just assumed, his target was to do well in europe despite being in a league that no one wants to play in, if MON had villa purchasing power up there than gods knows how much more he could of achieved

Stay 100%

Lots of managers might have bought in better defenders than we have got, more players or more glamourours signings. Would they have bought in Ashley Young, Carew, Petrov and Milner though, given Agbonlahor a chance, got the best out of Bouma, seen us take 4 points off Arsenal etc? Different managers get different things right and different things wrong. Overall i think very few managers could have done better on the pitch than we have done - the best season since 1995/96 for points last season in a year when we had 55 games. Last season was good, it had a pathetic run in that can't be forgotten about but the good parts and overall 6th place can't be dismissed. I'm sure a new manager will do it a new way, different players, more cover etc, i'm not sure they will see us getting more points or finishing higher in the league though.

In O'Neills first season with us we had a terrible run- i think it was 2 wins in 20 games, he showed he could learn from that and we turned it around. No reason at all he can't do it again, especially given that for 2/3rds of last season we were on course for our best season since we came 2nd. To dismiss all of that one game into a season as we lost and had a bad run in seems ridculous to me.

On another note half of the annoyance i think is the fact most people have realised we have decent owners who have put some money in but aren't the richest. Sadly that isn't enough in football now, we will finish above most clubs with less resources than us and below those who have more. Thats almost a given and its getting ever less likely any club or manager can break the cycle unless they get a mega rich owner. O Neill as manager will take the brunt of the annoyance over this and its why i hope we take the cups as seriously as we possibly can this year

I was speaking to a girl I know who's a Celtic season ticket holder a month back and again last night about MON and she says this all souunds like his last 2 seasons at Celtic. She said then his tactics were bizarre, his signings scratched heads, his subsitutions baffling, and his stubborn loyalty to certain players when it was obvious their form was way off frustrating, and the style of football shifted from good attacking football to ugly long ball play, and she admitted that the fact that apart from Rangers the league was so weak covered alot of cracks in the Celtic set up.

If this is true then this is a very interesting point. I for one followed the O'Neill hype when he came, and for 2 and a half seasons he deserved the hype surrounding him for he has been a godsend for the club. However the form for god knows how long now has made me question what he has actually done, and whether he is to an extent living on reputation. He won league cups with Leicester City and guided them to mid table finishes- excellent stuff, working with a tight budget and a group who all work well together ie. taggart, elliott, heskey, savage, lennon. This is maybe the situation where MON works best. On the back of this, he got the celtic job, where he didn't exactly need to change his ways because the Scottish League will always be won by one of two Glasgow clubs anyway, invariably Celtic. In this case I feel there was no real achievement there.

I think MON is a moral man, who enjoys working with a tight budget and a hard working group of players. Whether this way of working is right for Villa remains to be seen. It did seem to be working at least. In the modern premier league where you are competing with the arrogance, immorality, cash rich, and the desire for easy and immediate success of Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal and Tottenham... it would take a great man to take us to the next level.

Strangely, for a man surrounded by such hype, he has turned in the last 6 months into the most frustrating manager I have seen in some time at Villa Park. He created something with the Young/Agbonlahor effect which has now been found out, and has done nothing to rectify it or find a plan B. He made Barry captain after Laursen, who has no motivational or team leadership skills. He isolates good, ambitious players ie. Carew, NRC, Sidwell, and fails to give people chances again after a bad game, while some can go through horrendous runs of form and keep their place, ie Gabby, Petrov. He had stumbled upon a 4-5-1 formation which made us very difficult to beat and suited our counter attacking players, turning us into a capable top 4 side, then changed it back to 4-4-2 which has seen us turn into cannon fodder due to playing players who do not fit the system ie. Petrov, and has been stubborn enough to not even to try something different in that time, even though the formation, the system and tactics are utterly inept for everybody to see. His team selections are quite often wrong. He does not make substitutions when they should be made, and when they are, they are always incorrect.

So Mr O'Neill...I think all I want to see at the moment is a change back to the 4-5-1 or at least an attempt to change the system. Buy a midfield leader of mentality and possession, or play Reo Coker. And buy a good centre half to cover davies. Otherwise he could soon be on borrowed time.

When we all look at this in term's of reality, Mon got outdone tactically once again, this time by a novice to the premiership in the wigan manager.The look of bewilderment on Mon's face said it all, his plan A had been sussed long ago and the lack of any way of changing thing's speak's volume's. The messiah has become the mess get's higher and we need a sign from the man that thing's will change.

stewiek2 wrote:

I was speaking to a girl I know who's a Celtic season ticket holder a month back and again last night about MON and she says this all souunds like his last 2 seasons at Celtic. She said then his tactics were bizarre, his signings scratched heads, his subsitutions baffling, and his stubborn loyalty to certain players when it was obvious their form was way off frustrating, and the style of football shifted from good attacking football to ugly long ball play, and she admitted that the fact that apart from Rangers the league was so weak covered alot of cracks in the Celtic set up.

It's no surprise really.. it's the same that has been going on here for the last year or so

stewiek2 wrote:

It's no surprise really.. it's the same that has been going on here for the last year or so

Not a surprise to me either...

Same JG who tried to buy Izzet for 8Million
the same man that wasn't scared to make changes..or take a risk on players outside the uk.oh sorry he brough JC a player that everyone in europe thought was atleast half decent :cry: ..

Stay 100%

Lots of managers might have bought in better defenders than we have got, more players or more glamourours signings. Would they have bought in Ashley Young, Carew, Petrov and Milner though, given Agbonlahor a chance, got the best out of Bouma, seen us take 4 points off Arsenal etc? Different managers get different things right and different things wrong. Overall i think very few managers could have done better on the pitch than we have done - the best season since 1995/96 for points last season in a year when we had 55 games. Last season was good, it had a pathetic run in that can't be forgotten about but the good parts and overall 6th place can't be dismissed. I'm sure a new manager will do it a new way, different players, more cover etc, i'm not sure they will see us getting more points or finishing higher in the league though.

In O'Neills first season with us we had a terrible run- i think it was 2 wins in 20 games, he showed he could learn from that and we turned it around. No reason at all he can't do it again, especially given that for 2/3rds of last season we were on course for our best season since we came 2nd. To dismiss all of that one game into a season as we lost and had a bad run in seems ridculous to me.

On another note half of the annoyance i think is the fact most people have realised we have decent owners who have put some money in but aren't the richest. Sadly that isn't enough in football now, we will finish above most clubs with less resources than us and below those who have more. Thats almost a given and its getting ever less likely any club or manager can break the cycle unless they get a mega rich owner. O Neill as manager will take the brunt of the annoyance over this and its why i hope we take the cups as seriously as we possibly can this year

One of the most rational, level headed, posts I've read on here the last couple of days.

Absolutely spot on.

Still over 2/3 in favour of keeping Mon. Had we have won yesterday that majority would have been even more emphatic which in itself makes this poll an absolute farce.

"Not Alan **** Curbishley, as some tit said on another thread."

Dear God No.

At least he'd sort the defence out!

ah sure mon hasn't wanked enough money on our defence,i think only Fergie has spent more in this area..the only differance is we are shit..

Â