Did you pass the test?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Did you pass the test?

• Yes, and I'm under 25
    • Yes, and I'm 25 or older
    • No, and I'm under 25
    • No, and I'm 25 or older

Take this test to find out

Clicking the play button below will produce a tone that is generally only heard by people under the age of 25. It has been used as a deterrent device to keep teenagers from loitering in malls and shops, and sounds similar to a buzzing mosquito. Typically the longer you listen to it, the more annoying it gets.

For the record: I passed (and am older than 25). And that site might be a good option if you want to do http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQpa8whzwAE...

Guess what? I couldn't hear it (cue gasps of amazement all round).

This is fantastic news as it means I can now loiter in malls to my heart's content.

I'm 24 and I couldn't hear it, even though my hearing seems to be going down the pan for some reason. Was there actually a sound there or is this a joke? I'm worried now...

I'm 24 and I couldn't hear it, even though my hearing seems to be going down the pan for some reason. Was there actually a sound there or is this a joke? I'm worried now...

Did you press the play button??

It is quite an annoying high pitch squeeking sound....

Listen to a lot of loud music?

Obviously at my age it's not surprising that I've lost a lot of high-frequency hearing, but I know my hearing was shagged when I was in my 20s anyway, due to going to a lot of rock gigs, and indeed playing in bands myself.

We've done that tone test at home before, and my elder daughter (22) can only hear it intermittently, almost certainly for the same reasons - she's a fan of loud rock.

What our parents warned us about was true. Whether we care or not is another matter.

It makes you go deaf, you know.

They put these up around the shops by ours a few years ago cos it was a "hang out" for teenagers and they caused trouble. Have to say it does get really annoying.

For the record, I'm under 25 and could hear it.

I go to a lot of concerts too, I'd say at least two a week on average as I've gone through weeks where I've gone to five or even six... looks like I'll be going deaf too then.

You can wear ear plugs. It cuts out the damaging frequency. If you go to a LOT of gigs it is worth it, especially if you want to play music too.

Bloody hell, I was getting worried then. It was saying "Now Playing" and I couldn't hear shit then I realised I needed to allow the active X control thing and I wish I hadn't. They put that outside shops? The bastards! That is a frigging horrible noise, only nails on a chalk board could top that.

Â