Did you pass the test?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Did you pass the test?

• Yes, and I'm under 25
    • Yes, and I'm 25 or older
    • No, and I'm under 25
    • No, and I'm 25 or older

Listen to a lot of loud music?

Obviously at my age it's not surprising that I've lost a lot of high-frequency hearing, but I know my hearing was shagged when I was in my 20s anyway, due to going to a lot of rock gigs, and indeed playing in bands myself.

We've done that tone test at home before, and my elder daughter (22) can only hear it intermittently, almost certainly for the same reasons - she's a fan of loud rock.

What our parents warned us about was true. Whether we care or not is another matter.

It makes you go deaf, you know.

Considering that Rush, Metallica, Megadeth, Monster Magnet, and Zeppelin are all among my 10 most listened to bands, I wouldn't exactly say that I listen to quiet rock.

EDIT: I lost count of the negatives there... ;)

Listen to a lot of loud music?

Obviously at my age it's not surprising that I've lost a lot of high-frequency hearing, but I know my hearing was shagged when I was in my 20s anyway, due to going to a lot of rock gigs, and indeed playing in bands myself.

We've done that tone test at home before, and my elder daughter (22) can only hear it intermittently, almost certainly for the same reasons - she's a fan of loud rock.

What our parents warned us about was true. Whether we care or not is another matter.

It makes you go deaf, you know.

Considering that Rush, Metallica, Megadeth, Monster Magnet, and Zeppelin are all among my 10 most listened to bands, I wouldn't exactly say that I don't listen to quiet rock.

Sure. Some people smoke and don't get cancer. There are other factors involved, no doubt about it, but it CAN have an effect. I'm damn sure it did in my case.

And I think that quality of sound (rather than just volume) comes into it. Listening to Rush, Zeppelin, etc. on a good quality hi-fi in your living room (or even in a concert hall) is probably much less harmful than listening to local bands with shit gear in pubs several nights a week. Hum, feedback, distortion, it all does damage at high levels.

Not that I have any serious hearing problems, it's just the very high frequencies. No big deal.

Well I couldn't here a thing & I'm in my 40s ...however that might not be anything to do with my hearing because the audio on my laptop plays up sometimes on media files.

I did about this for weeks in my uni course about going to gigs and general stuff cos of the 'trauma' you put your ears through daily. its absolute rubbish in my opinion the most noise your ears should be put through is a conversation apparently, anything more and they're being affected. The best thing is my lecturer who tells us if we see him in town and he doesn't respond if we see him, he's not being rude he is just wearing earphones to stop his ears from being affected. At gigs just don't stand next to the speakers the ringing you hear in your ears after gigs is your ears still vibrating because of the decibels from the speakers.

(and for the record yep i heard it im 22, i'd be worried if i didn't!!)

I couldn't hear me but my dog's pissed off up the road and won't come home......

Nah kidding - I'm 38 and relatively deaf & couldn't quite hear it be I felt it - quite an "icky" feeling actually.

We used to have one of these (mosquito) at our local Sainsburys, which is about 3/4 of a mile from where i live.

It made my life a living hell for about 6 months, i couldn't sleep, even with the windows shut i could still hear it loud and clear and it would be kept on, over night for 3/4 nights a week. It was as close to torture as i have ever experienced... and i fought off leukimia as an 8 year old child.

Eventually enough people complained and it is no longer used.

Even if kids were hanging around the middle of town (the reason for it in the first place), why is this acceptable, it breaches human rights and screams totalitarianism!

Â