Where will we finish?  

127 members have voted

1. 1. Where will we finish?

• Top 3
    • 4th
    • 5th
    • 6th
    • 7th or lower

i thnk arsenal have dealt with the pressure of having to claw back to the top 4 pretty well. its us who always seem to capitulate at the worst possible moment

theres a lot to play for though, and 18 game unbeaten run or not, arsenal WILL drop points

we just have to make sure we only drop 2 less than them for the rest of the season

5th. Said all along I didn't think and wouldn't believe we'd get 4th until is was absolutely beyond doubt we would. It's still very possible. I just happen to think 5th is the more likely outcome of this season, which is no great shame in my opinion. I asked for consolidation at the start of the season and a decent cup run. Carling Cup let me down, FA Cup, wa snice to go a bit further, UEFA Cup was fun, and 5th is more than I asked for. So that'll do.

the difference is though on last year, we don`t need intertoto, we HAVE allready Quallified for europe, it would take WBA type form to lose that, cos man u won the league cup so goes to 6th place. so the progress is allready there

We have nothing to lose by going out now and really going for it, But ppl on here are ready to throw in the towel on 4th. i just don`t get that attitude. plz hope they dun take that attitude to VP.

seems like we have 2 sets of supporters tbh, 1 set that just throws in the towel at the earliest opertunity, who suddenly think that we are like man utd and have a right to win evey game.

and us others who know with 10 games to go it is gonna be a hard fight, but whatever happens will still be behind the team.

which 1 of these are you ?

10 games is still along time to go, why give up 4th when we aint even played yet ?

we can win tomorrow and go 4th 3 points ahead with 9 games left. ffs dun give up so easy

You're one of those 'better' fans then I presume?

seems like we have 2 sets of supporters tbh, 1 set that just throws in the towel at the earliest opertunity, who suddenly think that we are like man utd and have a right to win evey game.

and us others who know with 10 games to go it is gonna be a hard fight, but whatever happens will still be behind the team.

which 1 of these are you ?

10 games is still along time to go, why give up 4th when we aint even played yet ?

we can win tomorrow and go 4th 3 points ahead with 9 games left. ffs dun give up so easy

You're one of those 'better' fans then I presume?

no 1 said any was better, i just don`t understand it.

5th. There will be a gap between ourselves and Arsenal by the end of the month as we are yet to lose at Anfield receive our annual beating at Old Trafford.

Sadly this season that promised so much will deliver so little. Im not just talking out from our perspective, but for the league as a whole. It wasnt that long ago that we had a genuine title race, a promoted team doing really well and a realistic threat to the "big four". It would have been interesting to see how Arsenal or Chelsea would have done without a season of Champions League football too. Manchester United will win the league at a canter, despite todays result. Newcastle and Spurs will flirt with relegation but stay up at the expense of little clubs and yo yo clubs. You know we will be seeing the same four teams in the Champions League group stages for the sixth season in a row too. Manchester City will spend heavily in the summer, which means we will probably miss the best opportunity we have to inject some variety into one of the most truly predictable leagues in the world we will get for years.

Same as it ever was.

I think some people simply don't want to get their hopes up too much and are a bit pessimistic.

Let's not get on each other's backs. We all want the same thing.

What it fantastic is the fact that we're even contemplating 4th considering where we were a couple of years back.

We're a top club again.

I'll vote tomorrow evening.

The poll will run for today only...

:P

Oh alright then!

5th, but we're still very much in the hunt. Every week things take a different complexion, and the next two may be quite negative given the opposition we will face. But our run in is easier than Arsenal's on the whole. I just don't know, it's going to be exciting.

And big ups to sled for your post, I like your style 8)

unfortunately pete im starting think that if we do finish 4th this season and start truely believing we are a top club again MON is ****, if this is how much villa fans moan when we come under pressure just wait until future season if we really do start playing shit

until its mathmatically impossible im sticking with 4th, this "arsenal/everton" on fire bollocks doesnt help the team at all, plenty left to play for and any one of us could cock it up, but only the villa seem to think its already them

What it fantastic is the fact that we're even contemplating 4th considering where we were a couple of years back.

We're a top club again.

Depends on your point of view really. There is definitely a glass ceiling in the Premier League, when the same four teams get an extra £20-£30m a season from The Champions League every year, that ceiling gets harder to crack too. Personally I feel that this year is the best chance we will get in a hell of a long time, I cant see Arsenal or Chelsea having such extended poor runs of form next time out and I think Manchester City will have a much stronger squad too. I hope this season isnt as close as we will ever get to making it, but I strongly feel it will be.

Platini & co seem certain to push through the changes to the number of English players in English teams so there could well be more shakeups to come in future seasons. All the top four have plenty of foreign players, it really could effect them hugely. So cheer up Rev :D

With the amount of teams wondering if they'll even BE in the prem next year, us being up there with 6th as a minimum is great in my opinion. We haven't gone out and spent stupid money and I think we are about the 5th or 6th best team in the league in all honesty. If we go out and strengthen with some 'Arshavin-quality' players, we'll have a right to expect more. But as things stand, I think we're doing about as well as we possibly can. That's why I get so angry when people get so angry at the team when we have an off-day.

For some perspective, remember the games others have had recently:

Arsenal= Sunderland, Fulham, West Brom and Blackburn.

Everton= Newcastle, West Brom, Blackburn and Stoke

and we've had Chelsea, Man City away, Stoke (ok, fair enough, but we should've won easy), Spurs, Liverpool, Man Utd. etc.

No reason to think we've imploded, it's just about who you're playing. It will be swings and roundabouts.

I would compare the Champions League chase to a game against one of the traditional 'big four'. We're currently a goal up and have played around 65 minutes. Chances are, quality will eventually tell and we'll be pegged back. But there is still hope that we just dig in, despite other teams having better quality than us in truth, and hold on for that win. The same could happen here - we aren't going to play like Arsenal did today, but 3 points is 3 points and if we beat Spurs tomorrow, it'll be the equivalent of another big four attack being pelted away to the half-way line. Withstanding 9 more of those will be tough, but not impossible.

What i'm trying to say is that you don't need to be a better football team than Arsenal to finish above them. Chances are, after 38 games, or 90 minutes in my analogy, the quality shows, but sometimes your opposition hit the post a few times and you grind it out. That's what we need to do, and can do. It's just going to be, in the word of MON, 'exceptionally difficult'.

Am I talking nonsense, or does that make sense?

We're a top club again.

Depends on your point of view really. There is definitely a glass ceiling in the Premier League, when the same four teams get an extra £20-£30m a season from The Champions League every year, that ceiling gets harder to crack too. Personally I feel that this year is the best chance we will get in a hell of a long time, I cant see Arsenal or Chelsea having such extended poor runs of form next time out and I think Manchester City will have a much stronger squad too. I hope this season isnt as close as we will ever get to making it, but I strongly feel it will be.

I can definitely see Arsenal and Liverpool being inconsistent again. And we'll get better.

Whatever happens this season, I still think we'll have Champions League football at VP in the not too distant future.

At the start of the season 5th would have been brilliant. 4 games ago 5th would have been a disaster. Today I feel we still aren't good enough for Champions League, so 5th would be about right. The worry I have is this year was our best chance to gatecrash, with the inconsistency of 3 of the Top Four. Next year we will have to seriously improve just to stand still. Arsenal, Chelsea and Everton cannot have as many injuries as this and Man City will spend big in the summer, so unless something really improves our squad, we will once again be struggling for 5th-7th. Am I desondent? No we are still so much better than 3 years ago. Will we get Champions League in the next 3 years? Unless it's this year, then I cannot see us achieving it. But we will be established as a Top 6 club.

Â