The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Watched The Avengers last night, I enjoyed it and I get why people rave about it but its still a cheese fest with some questionable acting and possibly the worst superhero ever in Hawkeye, a modern Robin Hood. Did like the Hulk a lot though, it kind of gave me the same feeling when I used to watch The Incredible Hulk as a kid especially when he first changes and is chasing Romanoff.

That was basically my thoughts on it too.

Really enjoyed it, and it's a great action film.

BUt the cheesiness of those films in general will always prevent me from rating them as highly as other films.

Oh, and RDJ's character, as I said at the time, annoys the hell out of me

Watched The Avengers last night, I enjoyed it and I get why people rave about it but its still a cheese fest with some questionable acting and possibly the worst superhero ever in Hawkeye, a modern Robin Hood. Did like the Hulk a lot though, it kind of gave me the same feeling when I used to watch The Incredible Hulk as a kid especially when he first changes and is chasing Romanoff.

That was basically my thoughts on it too.

Really enjoyed it, and it's a great action film.

BUt the cheesiness of those films in general will always prevent me from rating them as highly as other films.

Exactly it's a movie you take the kids to see and not a great one at that, a good one ya but as you said very cheesey.

he's quite an unlikable character all in all , having not seen the comics I don't know if that is how Stark is in them as well ? I put it down to him being an alcoholic and having a bit of self loathing in him and assume it is deliberate

Exactly it's a movie you take the kids to see

not sure I want my kids to see my drooling like an idiot every time Scarlett and Cobie Smulders appear on screen :winkold:

he's quite an unlikable character all in all , having not seen the comics I don't know if that is how Stark is in them as well ? I put it down to him being an alcoholic and having a bit of self loathing in him and assume it is deliberate

It's not that annoys me though.

It's his constant jokes. I say jokes, a joke requires it to be funny so that might not be accurate.

EVERYTHING he says is a one liner. And he has about a 1% conversion rate. It's just painful for me.

It had really started to grate on me by the end of the film.

I'm not a fan of the Ironman films anyway. Well, I've only seen the first and it was the usual crappy comic book film (imo) so didn't bother with 2. So maybe I'm biased.

Not exactly the general consensus on the Iron Man movies and Avengers there, Steve. You'll pay for that :lol:

Kidding aside, just watched Ice Age 4. Pleasantly surprised, thought it was very good, finally a good bit of fun without any wishy-washy moral lesson crap (Madagascar I'm looking at you). Don't agree at all with its 52% rating on Tomatoes.

Agree with you on this. Do not agree with you on the quality of RDJ's acting in the Marvel movies.

Hey, nothing wrong with his acting.

It's the dialogue he's given that I have a problem with.

Not exactly the general consensus on the Iron Man movies and Avengers there, Steve. You'll pay for that

I think I agree with the general consensus on Avengers, just maybe not to the same extent. I really liked it. I don't think I'd bother watching it again, but I enjoyed it, thought it was great, and would recommend it to others.

I just didn't think it was as amazing as some people think. BUt that may be down to my dislike of that genre in general. But I'd still say it's probably the best film of that type I've ever seen.

(I'm excluding the (modern) Batman trilogy from this, as despite ebing a comic book film, I don't see it as the same "type" of film)

But yeah, Ironman was basically crap.

Hey, nothing wrong with his acting.

It's the dialogue he's given that I have a problem with.

Not exactly the general consensus on the Iron Man movies and Avengers there, Steve. You'll pay for that

I think I agree with the general consensus on Avengers, just maybe not to the same extent. I really liked it. I don't think I'd bother watching it again, but I enjoyed it, thought it was great, and would recommend it to others.

I just didn't think it was as amazing as some people think. BUt that may be down to my dislike of that genre in general. But I'd still say it's probably the best film of that type I've ever seen.

(I'm excluding the (modern) Batman trilogy from this, as despite ebing a comic book film, I don't see it as the same "type" of film)

But yeah, Ironman was basically crap.

Exactly where I am. Few of my mates made the bold claim it was better than TDK. Madness.

That I agree (that saying TDK is inferior to Iron Man is madness). Times 10.

(p.s. sorry about typing superfluous posts, I'm not at work I'm at home right now! )

(p.s. sorry about typing superfluous posts, I'm not at work I'm at home right now! )

Not Iron Man, The Avengers.

Not Iron Man, The Avengers.

Oh, sorry.

Point still stands though, it's not even close for me.

Tony Stark is meant to be abrasive, his confidence and arrogance are supposed to rub people up the wrong way, as does his apparent inability to take things seriously. RDJ does a fairly good interpretation, although they (until the Avengers) never really managed to get that side of the character down as people, generally, rather liked the playboy cocky bastard attitude. Tonyh29 is also correct that, in the comics anyway, the drinking didn't help and in a way, the whole persona is a charade covering the fact that he knows he's intensely flawed and has, at times, done things wrong (he basically becomes a full blown prick in the Civil War storyline in the comics for instance).

I unashamedly like the Marvel Cinematic Universe films. They are cheesy but I kinda like that, they are (by and large) comic book films that are not ashamed to be comic book films. There was a push, for a while, for comics to become darker and darker and more serious, began in the late 80s and eventually permeated the films as well. It suits some characters, Batman in particular has basically become defined by his dark brooding nature over the years. The MCU is an antidote to that, and the Avengers is the ultimate showing of it, it isn't afraid to be a bit silly, it's not afraid to have bright colours and bold silly characters and just have fun, without any great message to it all or any particular worthiness to it all.

I think it's up there with the Dark Knight as the pinnacle of 'comic book films'. They represent 2 sides of the same coin, one serious, darker, with a certain worthiness, largely excellently made and with care, the other pure popcorn entertainment made very very well and clearly by a bunch of people having a great time and really enjoying their work.

I personally did like Iron Man better than The Dark Knight. I'd mostly put that down to the way RDJ really gave Tony Stark a big personality and for the most part I fine Bruce Wayne a bit boring. Ithink it helps that it was an origin story, which generally are easier to do that otherwise. Iron Man I just fully enjoyed from start to finish and while TDK is oustanding, it dragged in some parts a little. I'm not fussed if my opinion is 'wrong' either, really.

I have to embarassingly admit I saw the Godfather for the first time last night. I don't think it's one of the best films ever made, but still very good - Brando is really excellent. Are the 2nd and 3rd as good?

Staying on that theme. I watched X-Men First Class the other day after seeing a surprisingly high IMDb mark for it. I must say while it was watchable, it didn't really wow me the way the earlier films did (wow is a strong word but I did really enjoy them). Maybe I'm letting IMDb marks pre-judge or build films up for me.

Â