Band of Brothers fans...

trekka

Watching the Pacific has reminded me how much I need to pick up Band of Brothers on blu-ray.

Also, watched episodes 3 and 4 last night and not too enamoured with those - the episode set in Melbourne just didn't grab me. It's not even that I'm just an action whore, it was all a bit dull. Highlight was that the woman Leckie was with was **** stunning.

The book of BoB is very good, too.

Stephen Ambrose seems to have acquired a reputation of being "anti-British" after his "D-Day" book concentrated heavily on the American landings, and was fairly critical of the British military leadership. I think it's an unfair reputation - why wouldn't an American historian concentrate on Utah & Omaha? That was where the real drama, tragedy and ultimate victory unfolded; the British landings were relatively easy. And Montgomery did have some major failings.

But anybody who still thinks he's "anti-British" should read another of his books, "Pegasus Bridge", on the British Airborne drops. As he rightly says, the US airborne attacks ended up all over the shop; the British achieved all their objectives precisely on schedule, with considerable heroism.

Excellent book.

I was given "The Pacific" on Blu Ray for my birthday.

Mrs E is away tonight so,

Princess E to bed early,

a few cold Leffes/Hoegaardens

a Stuffed Crust Meat Feast

and a DVD Marathon.

Superb.

I stopped watching the Pacific after about 4 episodes. Just looked like a disjointed gore-fest.
Pretty accurate depiction of war, then.

Yes, I understand that bad things happen in war, and the Pacific war was particularly grim.

Band of Brothers was superb - probably one of the best television series made in my opinion. But marines throwing stones into a hollowed out Japanese man's head with brains splattered all over the floor: do not want.

To be honest, i cant see anything living upto Band Of Brothers.

As Islington said, probably the best TV series made and it will take something very special to even come close to it.

Its getting close to that time of year where i have the house to myself for the day, a well stocked fridge of beers and munchies, shut the curtains and watch the beast from start to finish!

• 2 weeks later...

Although this isn't to do with Band of Brothers, it's still World War II and I thought might be of interest to some of you...

Towards the start of the year, my great Aunt died and while clearing the house out, we took some of my great Uncle's war books (he died a few years ago) and in a book about his regiment, I found this...

Italy.jpg

A pretty interesting find!

The book of BoB is very good, too.

Stephen Ambrose seems to have acquired a reputation of being "anti-British" after his "D-Day" book concentrated heavily on the American landings, and was fairly critical of the British military leadership. I think it's an unfair reputation - why wouldn't an American historian concentrate on Utah & Omaha? That was where the real drama, tragedy and ultimate victory unfolded; the British landings were relatively easy. And Montgomery did have some major failings.

But anybody who still thinks he's "anti-British" should read another of his books, "Pegasus Bridge", on the British Airborne drops. As he rightly says, the US airborne attacks ended up all over the shop; the British achieved all their objectives precisely on schedule, with considerable heroism.

Excellent book.

The general consensus on the ARRSE forums is that he's a liar and a bit of a rocket polisher.

click

Not sure what people wanted Stephen Ambrose to talk about. It was a book about the experiences of Easy Company and then about the American D-Day landings. The British army leadership was poor at times - just look at Montgomery's Market Garden as a whole.

Mel Gibson is anti-British though. But who cares, he's a bellend.

Â