Rúben Amorim

Heard he's close to West Ham, Liverpool or Aston Villa (replacement for Emery if he leaves)

I think he was linked to us before as a massive favourite before Emery joined. Excellent CV, one of the best young managers in the world.

How do you think he does in the PL?

Edited by Pongo Waring

Am sure he already has a thread. His record in Portugal isnt really that special for somebody with such hype

Might do ok at a West Ham but think would struggle in a bigger team

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Am sure he already has a thread. His record in Portugal isnt really that special for somebody with such hype

Might do ok at a West Ham but think would struggle in a bigger team

He's beat Benfica and Porto to another title this season. That is fantastic! 

9 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

He's beat Benfica and Porto to another title this season. That is fantastic! 

League isnt over yet but they are favourites to hold on. He has only one one title and 2 cups so far(out of 15 in his time there) and was one of the highest transfer fees ever for a manager. I would expect a lot more

He has also had one decent run in Europe at Sporting

14 minutes ago, Zatman said:

League isnt over yet but they are favourites to hold on. He has only one one title and 2 cups so far(out of 15 in his time there) and was one of the highest transfer fees ever for a manager. I would expect a lot more

Always had to sell their best players. Benfica and Porto dominate that league. Its hugely impressive job he's done at all his clubs so far 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

Always had to sell their best players. Benfica and Porto dominate that league. Its hugely impressive job he's done at all his clubs so far 

He managed 4 games at one club and 12 at another. Has done ok at Sporting but its not really that much better than what Gerrard did at Rangers or Ten Haag at Ajax. He is probably better than both but not a guarantee (by default he is already better than Gerrard)

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, AshVilla said:

Great appointment for West Ham.

It's not a done deal, seems unlikely to me.

Chelsea and Man United could both be hiring soon.

10 hours ago, Zatman said:

2 cups out of 15?! Are you including European trophies here?

He’s done a very good job at Sporting. Not really sure how you can think otherwise. His Sporting side are the first team not called Porto/Benfica to win the league in 20 years or something.

1 league title (likely 2) and 2 domestic cups in 4 seasons is fantastic stuff - 50% of the available domestic trophies.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr_Dogg said:

It's not a done deal, seems unlikely to me.

Chelsea and Man United could both be hiring soon.

Rumoured to have been flown in yesterday on a West Ham private jet.

Already said his goodbyes to the Sporting players who have been given a few days off from training as they have already won the title.

It's not a done deal but will be surprised if someone comes in at this late stage.

6 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Rumoured to have been flown in yesterday on a West Ham private jet.

Already said his goodbyes to the Sporting players who have been given a few days off from training as they have already won the title.

It's not a done deal but will be surprised if someone comes in at this late stage.

Talk is cheap, they are trying to woo him.

But yes, it could happen.

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

2 cups out of 15?! Are you including European trophies here?

He’s done a very good job at Sporting. Not really sure how you can think otherwise. His Sporting side are the first team not called Porto/Benfica to win the league in 20 years or something.

1 league title (likely 2) and 2 domestic cups in 4 seasons is fantastic stuff - 50% of the available domestic trophies.

Portugal like England has 2 domestic trophies and the trophies he won are the easier to win League Cup as play about 4 games. He has done a good job but he was a top 5 record transfer for a manager so I would expect more if honest

Many managers came from Portugal with better records and struggled

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Portugal like England has 2 domestic trophies and the trophies he won are the easier to win League Cup as play about 4 games. He has done a good job but he was a top 5 record transfer for a manager so I would expect more if honest

Many managers came from Portugal with better records and struggled

He's broken multiple records as a manager over there (fastest to win 50 games etc), so technically has a “better” start to his managerial career than Mourinho.

Still a risk, of course, but he’s doing very well. Sporting have become a very solid side under him, despite still losing their best players season on season. 

I wonder did he turn them down? Does he not know about how 'special' Liverpool are? That the atmosphere is better, the fans are better, the club is better, the better is better....

Break out the armbands. 

10 minutes ago, villa89 said:

I wonder did he turn them down? Does he not know about how 'special' Liverpool are? That the atmosphere is better, the fans are better, the club is better, the better is better....

Break out the armbands. 

Did the people interviewing him make him aware that "it means more" at Liverpool?

• Like 1

Â